The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 03, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

fool me once?

Yep, opted for the black Petey last night. They tricked me.

Loved this one guy at the game....stood up all game in his blacks, all solemn looking, holding a sign up over his head that read "FREE THE SKATE".

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldnt

can you elaborate on why you think this is a good deal or link me to an old post of yours?

Because in my view, OEL is not performing at the level of a 7.5m/year defenseman, nor garland at a 5m/year forward.

Id view these as bad deals if they were ufa signings, even more so that we gave up an asset

40 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I'm still with the boys cheering them on and will continue to do so. Win or lose, this is my team. But it's getting hard to ignore that we could get a good young prospect and there's a silver lining in losing. It's not all bad. This draft is strong so it matters. I will never cheer for the tank, but I fully support it if it happens organically at this point. Makes something out of nothing. I have faith in this team when they're "on" but there's so much frustration showing and it's starting to become a landslide. It's wrecking them (as well as me) and there has to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. They'd have to pull off a repeat of last year's turnaround...only better to get there. I sure wish they could build on a win or two and generate some momentum, but it just isn't happening. I want them to succeed so this is really time to assess what needs to be done for that to happen. I know who I'd want to keep and, at this point, not everyone's on that list. But my loyalty keeps that secret...for now, this is my team and the one I'll cheer for. Go Canucks Go. In it to win it but will also be thankful if we get a tankful. 

(I'm not even counting on Bedard truth be told...doubtful that would happen. Big cheap monsters just aren't out there/available...we tend to overpay. Would LOVE some of those...I like tough/gritty as much as skill)

I'm there with you. I can't cheer them losing. I'll try and focus on good efforts and let the score be what it is.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Nothing they get in a deal is going to replace what bo brings to this team.  Lose him and it's a full on rebuild, imo, and that'll be many years in the making and then even more to get to contrnder..........look at the Oilers, they drafter McD in 2015 and are out of the playoff picture right now.

They need to stay the course of their current rebuild, make a few bold moves and focus on the right core and they can get past this spot, like most contenders have in the past.

That's not true. Win the lotto and land Bedard + 2-3 solid assets for Horvat, move a couple of Garland/Boeser/Miller for a 3C, RHD etc and people will be asking "Bo who?"

6 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

It was an objectively bad trade. It was a hope and prayer that OEL would find his form 3-4 years prior and Garland would step in and be a perennial 20 goal scorer. Then we signed him to a contract extension with almost no sample size or tangible evidence he would do that here. 

What proves it? How have Garland and OEL improved this team and it's future? We were a .500 team when we traded them, and we are still a .500 team after.

The implications of being patient one more year and letting Beagle's and Roussel's contracts expire (while still having a chance to draft Guenther) are far less than carrying OEL's cap hit until his late 30's AND missing out on a top tier prospect which this franchise badly needs/needed. 

I think the word you're looking for is "subjectively"