The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 5 2022 - Vancouver Canucks vs Colorado Avalanche - 7pm PT/9pm CT/10pm ET - Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He appreciates that Miller has second most hits on the team after Schenn.  He loves the saucer passes JT gives him on the powerplay for one-timers. He loves JT's doggedness on the forecheck. He has said all that in various interviews (hits comment was generic, not specifically re Schenn).

What's your basis for your opening assertion? (Italicized above)

Already revealed the source. Forum search function is your friend.

And your post has me convinced that EP is JT’s #1 Fan. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Bruce has never cared about morning skates. Seems that most coaches nowdays don't. I even saw AV avoided them in an article.

Morning skates are pointless. Save your energy for the game.

That being said this team often looks better with no practice so who knows what works and what doesn’t.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree those things were there but they’re on another level this season.

He doesn’t even attempt to back check now. He made lots of defensive plays last season that I can remember. 

And he countered poor plays with really good ones. Right now he’s not even putting the effort in on either end of the ice.

Agree on all points

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wolanin one of the best defencemen in the AHL, wonder why he's not getting a shot?

Because we need to showcase Myers and OEL to teams that nobody wants…

We need guys that can defend first and foremost. I would be giving Brisebois and Juulsen a look first.

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Some of them were yes.

Difference is he used that “fire” to make him better. Like he would turnover the puck yes, but then make up for it by scoring a big goal.

This season is a whole other level. He’s not skating hard at all, he’s taking bad penalties, and he’s playing with zero heart.

I see a player that has cashed in and knows he doesn’t need to play hard anymore. That or he’s hoping he gets moved. 

Last year he was totally riding on situation. After 25 games no one expected anything. He thrived in that nonsense but it's not a realistic situation. He's been a floater since day 1. Good player offensively but lazy and cheats defensively.

Difference in my mind is zero. He is it what he always has been. Too many people got caught up in the numbers and the coaching bump. They had to play that good, their careers depended on it.

21 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Already revealed the source. Forum search function is your friend.

And your post has me convinced that EP is JT’s #1 Fan. :lol:

Yeah. - I jumped the gun by not reading to the end of the thread

(and Petey's comments were at the end of the 649 season, so his "appreciation" might have waned subsequently)

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because we need to showcase Myers and OEL to teams that nobody wants…

We need guys that can defend first and foremost. I would be giving Brisebois and Juulsen a look first.

I agree that they lack defend first guys. They also are low on offensively gifted d-men. They are headed for their lowest scoring blueline goal total ever.

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I'm willing to give JT a pass for now. Hopefully this is just an off year.  He's been by far our best player every year since he was traded here. 

But it isnt an off year.  There were similar comment coming from the Rangers, Lightning and Alain Vigneault.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wolanin one of the best defencemen in the AHL, wonder why he's not getting a shot?

He had a somewhat similar season 4 years ago with Belleville (7 - 24 - 31 in 40 games) but it hasn't translated to the NHL to the same extent (70 games, 6 goals and 14 assists)

Also, is a LHD, and we seem to have a plethora of them

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I can't wait for his HHOF speech.

Wouldn't surprise me, but I've also got a soft spot for Phil given how he's been the butt end of jokes for years despite being a great talent, mostly because of how he looks 

He's not your prototypical tough guy, but you don't build an iron man streak the way he has by not being tough and resilient, he's undoubtedly played through stuff 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I agree that they lack defend first guys. They also are low on offensively gifted d-men. They are headed for their lowest scoring blueline goal total ever.

So our defence isn't good defensively and are the worst in the league offensively.

Our management is really good at out of the box thinking.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Damn the Dman everyone dumped on last year is now the defending champion's #6/7. Seems like a repeating theme. 

When it comes to depth defensemen, we have an embarrassment of riches.  Quite literally, an embarrassment. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So our defence isn't good defensively and are the worst in the league offensively.

Our management is really good at out of the box thinking.

And to not get a top 5 pick with some of these historically bad stats would be the real disaster.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

mostly because of how he looks 

Alejandro Kirk is getting the same type of grief, playing as a Blue Jay.

" Look at him, he's chubby and can't run".

Yet he wins an All Star appearance, a Silver Slugger and hits 19 doubles with 14 homers.

Plus he is a fine defensive catcher, calls a good game.

Standard Batting

• Show Minors
  • Games by Position
  •  
  • Share & Export
    • Modify, Export & Share Table
    • Get as Excel Workbook
    • Get table as CSV (for Excel)
    • Get Link to Table
    • About Sharing Tools
    • Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to
    • Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks
    • Data Usage Terms
  • Glossary
Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos Awards
3 Yrs 208 755 659 82 183 29 0 23 90 0 0 83 84 .278 .362 .426 .788 122 281 18 7 0 6 2    
162 Game Avg. 162 588 513 64 143 23 0 18 70 0 0 65 65 .278 .362 .426 .788 122 219 14 5 0 5 2    
2020 21 TOR AL 9 25 24 4 9 2 0 1 3 0 0 1 4 .375 .400 .583 .983 166 14 0 0 0 0 0 /2DH  
2021 22 TOR AL 60 189 165 19 40 8 0 8 24 0 0 19 22 .242 .328 .436 .764 105 72 7 3 0 2 0 2/DH  
2022 23 TOR AL 139 541 470 59 134 19 0 14 63 0 0 63 58 .285 .372 .415 .786 126 195 11 4 0 4 2 2DH AS,SS
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't surprise me, but I've also got a soft spot for Phil given how he's been the butt end of jokes for years despite being a great talent, mostly because of how he looks 

He's not your prototypical tough guy, but you don't build an iron man streak the way he has by not being tough and resilient, he's undoubtedly played through stuff 

I'm guessing that after beating cancer, anything else must seem so minor to him.  I'll make the occasional joke but I have nothing but respect for him and the way he's handled the jokes over his career.  I think most fans can relate to him if they're being honest with themselves.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3