The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Miller- might be ok for a few years, after this one, but the deal will stink towards the end

Brock could have been signed to a 1 yr qualifying deal,

Mik- has been ok- but the team did not need more forwards.

I honestly believe JT will age well a La Giroux. Time will tell. You’re so right about the no need for more forwards. We needed a bona fide top 4 defender last off season. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Rick is completely out to lunch and sounds like a moron. His excuse for no rebuild is because Rutherford is in his 70s? Dhaliwal is an idiot. 

I generally like Dhaliwal but am sick and tired of him making excuses for management's lack of substantial action because "they are trying" or "they can't because of the bad contracts".

I call BS to Rick's line of thought, these guys are hired to find solutions to these problems, if they can't do it then find someone who will.

• Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The pieces are here whether you can see them or not. We need to build not throw away the best young talent this team has had in its history. That’s insanity.

exactly. Some people here would be so quick to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Cap going up though is not an excuse for adding another OEL type veteran long terms high $$$ deal to this club that will eventually result in buyout.

Maybe it is business economics and the tangible and intangible factors that go into a player’s production, but doling out long term contract on a player like JTM isn’t a wise move any way you slice it. It was panic and poor anticipation combined with ill-advised long term thinking. 

I really want to see what this mgmt does about the cap this TDL and off-season because their actions versus their initial commentary at inception are very different positions and, while taking responsibility for the mess we are in now, it still seems hypocritical 

This Miller bashing is getting ridiculous.  You honestly think Miller is "another OEL type veteran"?  What each bring to the team is night and day.  The strong possibility of a buyout in the last years of a long term contract for a top player is not unusual, and probably more common than not.  Its a concern, but we are years away from worrying about that.

If it did turn out to be a choice between Bo or JT, I'd still rather have JT on the team in the  next few years.  Miller has been more consistent and has produced at a much higher level than Bo.  Except for this one freak year that just happens to be Bo's retirement contract year.  Hmmmmm. 

Sorry, but I completely see why JR would pick JT over Bo, if that was what ended up happening, even if it wasn't the plan.  To make sure he got JT signed before pivoting to Bo's contract. But I think JR was still hoping  to sign Bo right after JT was signed, but only set enough of the cap aside to pay Bo for what he has pushed his worth to up to that point, and nothing more.  And that's smart, as I do not think Bo will ever match this season, and will go back to his usual 50 points give or take.  I can only imagine the gnashing of teeth in here if we signed Bo for 8 x 8 and watch him go back to his non physical, slower every year, non PKer, usual 50 point pace.

JT has proven himself a much more consistent and valuable piece on this team

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, McBackup said:

“We’re not moving toward a rebuild, I prefer the term retool. We want younger players not draft picks.”

Oh good. It’s Benning in 2014 all over again. I don’t know why they insist on keeping with this strategy that hasn’t worked and this core that hasn’t proven anything.

I'm skeptical that ownership has had no interference like he claims. 

Of course he's not going to tell the media that ownership has a preference of what they want to do. 

We saw it with multiple regimes already. 

Gillis also suggested it but was denied it by Francesco. 

retool, retool, retool, retool, same **** all over again.

Forgive me as I am a new fan to the franchise, but I found what JR said to be really encouraging as a fan:

We're not looking towards a rebuild, I rather call it a retool," Rutherford said. "My preference is when we make deals, it's not necessarily for draft picks who may come in and help the team four years or five years from now. I would prefer to get younger NHL players that may not have worked out well on the entry-level contracts and bring them in to get a second chance.

I am not sure if this has been tried before, but that is brilliant way to put it, a RE-TOOL so basically JB is confident in our core and just wants to move a few pieces around. I think as general fans we are no where near the expertise and the insight that people like JR have in the league, also they are getting paid $1M+ a year to do this job so I doubt an average fan on the forum knows better what to do than a highly accredited, highly prized league representative, so as a fan I am very comfortable with a RE-TOOL as I never heard that phrase before and it sounds good.

As an owner, I am sure AQUA will also sign off on this as no one wants or has the stomach for a rebuild so a RE-TOOL is an easy sell to ownership. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Kuzy said:

Mixed emotions from this one. I still can't get over why he won't consider a full on rebuild rather than "retool". Retooling has never worked and will never work, especially with how this team is structured. That said, I appreciate his candidness but it's not good enough.

The only reason I can see them using re-tool vs. rebuild is the team does have a good young core. IMO if you have a good young core of maybe 3-4 players, and you overhaul the team around them that's pretty close to a rebuild although most people on here consider a rebuild from the ground up....meaning core as well so it's a grey area. I do agree Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, Kuzy and hopefully Podkolzin etc. are players worth building around for the future but Canucks fans have been more than patient.

If they are somehow able to trade Miller, then re-sign Bo and Kuzmenko and offload a dman or two...then let er rip. But as far as I'm concerned this roster needs a different recipe.

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

This Miller bashing is getting ridiculous.  You honestly think Miller is "another OEL type veteran"?  What each bring to the team is night and day.  The strong possibility of a buyout in the last years of a long term contract for a top player is not unusual, and probably more common than not.  Its a concern, but we are years away from worrying about that.

If it did turn out to be a choice between Bo or JT, I'd still rather have JT on the team in the  next few years.  Miller has been more consistent and has produced at a much higher level than Bo.  Except for this one freak year that just happens to be Bo's retirement contract year.  Hmmmmm. 

Sorry, but I completely see why JR would pick JT over Bo, if that was what ended up happening, even if it wasn't the plan.  To make sure he got JT signed before pivoting to Bo's contract. But I think JR was still hoping  to sign Bo right after JT was signed, but only set enough of the cap aside to pay Bo for what he has pushed his worth to up to that point, and nothing more.  And that's smart, as I do not think Bo will ever match this season, and will go back to his usual 50 points give or take.  I can only imagine the gnashing of teeth in here if we signed Bo for 8 x 8 and watch him go back to his non physical, slower every year, non PKer, usual 50 point pace.

It shouldn’t be JTM bashing, it should be bashing of the contract. It’s just not one we needed to take on given where we were, but far too many people relying on hope instead of looking deeper into reality 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rubik said:

exactly. Some people here would throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Yep that’s what it would be.

Like what GM in their right mind wouldn’t try building around Pettersson?

The guy does everything for this team and we wanna look past him to some hypothetical future where the team builds from scratch through deadline picks and prospects? 

No guarantee you’ll find a player like Petey for a long time. All we need is some luck in the draft lottery and nobodies talking about rebuild.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don't understand JR's fetish with taking 'young NHL'ers' from other teams over developing his own through draft picks? 

Is he just a fan of sloppy seconds? 

That's the one part of his "vision" I agree with.  Not that drafting players isn't part of it, but draft picks are lottery tickets, whereas young players are known commodities.

For example, you might get a second rounder from someone, but that has a high probability of being nothing more than a career AHL player.  However, if you dealt with Washington, you might get Iorio in a deal, who was a second rounder 2 years ago who is now looking very promising.  I'd rather have Iorio

6 minutes ago, kilgore said:

And yeah, I honestly think Miller will become another OEL type. Good player that still provides value, just not anywhere in fair contrast to the most recent contract they signed. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's the one part of his "vision" I agree with.  Not that drafting players isn't part of it, but draft picks are lottery tickets, whereas young players are known commodities.

For example, you might get a second rounder from someone, but that has a high probability of being nothing more than a career AHL player.  However, if you dealt with Washington, you might get Iorio in a deal, who was a second rounder 2 years ago who is now looking very promising.  I'd rather have Iorio

Most recently the past 3 years draft picks been a bust, not many great players came from draft picks recently so a lot of GMS are weary of them. We definitely need younger players not draftpicks, we can use our own draftpicks as carrots - old school thinking is valuing draft picks modern NHL GM's value proven players. 

• There it is 1