The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Even Benning has admitted mistakes too, but that didn't stop posters from crapping on him. Admitting mistakes on TV/radio is meaningless.

The problem with him admitting mistakes was also admitting that he didn't have a clue about what he was doing from the start. Specifically, JR boasted about hiring "different voices" and compartmentalizing departments so that they'd be able to make group decisions. It wasn't supposed to be JR running it, yet that's exactly how it has played out.

It's crazy how the women who were hired in executive positions have so little of a voice. We barely hear them talk about anything at all. This begs the question: was it a PR move, or are they just not the right people for the job? I'd honestly like to see them interact with the media. Instead, we ONLY see JR and maybe Allvin (not really).

It's this pretentiousness that I can't stand.

I hear that, but they are also relatively new in the game in their capacities and still learning their jobs from a well respected mentor. Tbh, I don’t want to hear from them. They report upwards, not outwards. And u less you’re privy to the meetings and the one eating all the Timbits, we have no clue what they are working on. My one hope is Castonguay is convincing Lafreniere to request a trade out (jk). But according to you guys that’s pointless because NO ONE wants to play here anymore 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I’m done. A few of us can agree to disagree but at least share the hope that this shit gets turned around soon.
For me a different voice was needed and although it really is a shit show right now, I think it was smouldering before. The only difference now is that we can all see the fire, whereas before we just heard someone say they smelt smoke.

it’s progress, even if it’s ugly 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Oh no, Alf's gotten to you 

In any case here's hoping management can find themselves a spine and correct their mistake 

If Bo goes it doesn't make any sense to keep Miller, management can call it whatever they want but Miller doesn't fit the timeline of a rebuild, he never did 

We ain't contending sooner than later, his best remaining seasons almost certainly won't take place on a team going deep, at least not if he stays in Vancouver 

Alf has shared alien technology that allows us to listen in to FA on his bathroom breaks. It’s not easy work.

lose my appetite a lot but at least it’s revealing 

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's a very real chance our first rounder refuses to report if Rutherford continues to disgrace the franchise with his continued misconduct.  Agents are watching now and understand just how much of a piece of $#@& we have for a president.

F that, I’m signing up for EBUG next season then!

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m done. A few of us can agree to disagree but at least share the hope that this shit gets turned around soon.
For me a different voice was needed and although it really is a shit show right now, I think it was smouldering before. The only difference now is that we can all see the fire, whereas before we just heard someone say they smelt smoke.

it’s progress, even if it’s ugly 

JR shouldn't have come in and pretended to say that the team could be fixed so soon. You can't say JR was put into a bad situation when it is him that said we had good pieces to build around, which was the result of Benning. He should've asked for fans to be patient so that the team can make the right moves for the future.

But yes, he had a directive to compete - nothing wrong with that. The tone he had was arrogant/smug, especially with the "different voices" stuff that he was trying to promote. We aren't hearing different voices though. We just hear JR and maybe Allvin every so often.

I don't see any of this progressive change (which includes adding women to the staff) that he promised. It's just JR running the show and being a clown.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

19 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I hear that, but they are also relatively new in the game in their capacities and still earning their jobs from a well respected mentor. Tbh, I don’t want to hear from them. They report upwards, not outwards. And u less you’re privy to the meetings and the one eating all the Timbits, we have no clue what they are working on. My one hope is Castonguay is convincing Lafreniere to request a trade out (jk). But according to you guys that’s pointless because NO ONE wants to play here anymore 

No one in their right mind respects Rutherford.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Huh?

He's not the best penalty killer, but he's certainly better than Miller because of one specific trait - he wins faceoffs.

Our PP sucks this year and Horvat is having a career year without the PP.

You couldn't be more wrong about your assessment.

Miller wins faceoffs too.

And our powerplay this year is fine

That’s my problem - Bo is having a career year and wants to get paid as if this is normal for him 

miller put up 100 points and asked to get paid like a point per game guy. 

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

By who?!?!?

You can blame the players for that. 
They were able to play hockey last season when Bruce came in. They have the talent, they just don’t have the combined character as a team. The players will have gotten Bruce fired.

Totally agree - a little more consistency early in the year and hanging onto the 1-2-3 goal leads and we would not be in this predicament. When small things go wrong with this team, it gets magnified compared to other cities - Anaheim is a bit worse than us right now and hardly gets any mention in the sports pages.

Bruce is a good coach and who speaks honestly - he'll commend you on successes or point to areas of deficiencies otherwise. Should he be removed, this will be the 6th new coach since 2013  (AV, Torts, Desjardins, Green, Boudreau) - kind of getting a bit silly blaming the coach.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

Miller wins faceoffs too.

And our powerplay this year is fine

That’s my problem - Bo is having a career year and wants to get paid as if this is normal for him 

miller put up 100 points and asked to get paid like a point per game guy. 

Bo wins more faceoffs than anyone else. Before this year, he put in more efforts to get better versus Miller who was basically an unknown.

We spent money on a player we didn't draft over a player we did.

That's gotta be damning.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, RWJC said:

It would be one serious method acting stealth tank though wouldnt it? Hah

Not saying it’s the case, but this Pres is one of very few people you want in charge of your org if you’re about to secure a generational talent…as history has shown 

Don't agree with the method but look if we're a contender in 5 years, fair play, people will forget about Bruce.

Right now though, and so far, this management has done nothing but Ls across the board. I know we gave JB almost a decade and have turned on this management within a year, so have to be patient, but there are nicer ways of doing the business they're doing.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I think the problem is he cares too much. 

You are not wrong.  

People that aimlessly critique Aquaman sometimes start making it sound like he doesn't care.  The truth is that he cares, and as you say perhaps too much.  

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't agree with the method but look if we're a contender in 5 years, fair play, people will forget about Bruce.

Right now though, and so far, this management has done nothing but Ls across the board. I know we gave JB almost a decade and have turned on this management within a year, so have to be patient, but there are nicer ways of doing the business they're doing.

I'm ready for management that doesn't always do it the nice way.  

Jimbo was trending in a good direction but stunted his team's performance by his loyalty to his coaching staff.  

I'm ready for management that will sell out their own family member for a coupon at Wendy's. 

33 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

JR shouldn't have come in and pretended to say that the team could be fixed so soon. You can't say JR was put into a bad situation when it is him that said we had good pieces to build around, which was the result of Benning. He should've asked for fans to be patient so that the team can make the right moves for the future.

But yes, he had a directive to compete - nothing wrong with that. The tone he had was arrogant/smug, especially with the "different voices" stuff that he was trying to promote. We aren't hearing different voices though. We just hear JR and maybe Allvin every so often.

I don't see any of this progressive change (which includes adding women to the staff) that he promised. It's just JR running the show and being a clown.

Well, he’s the Presdient.

He’s the mouthpiece for the org and the hand of ownership. He’s exactly the person who should be speaking right now and i’d definitely say is listening to different voices.  Again, voices that report up, not out. if he wasn’t, I do believe we would have already seen the trademark of “Trader Jim”.  His and Alvin’s restraint is very likely due to many voices…again, I speculate ownership being the dominant one. 

if we do rebuild, then perhaps it might be considered that ownership group should at least do some PR themselves in advance of it.
They’ll need to sell this to the fans a bit, and they’ve already had their scapegoat take the requisite flak in advance to have lessened the blow against them when they do announce the change in plans. 
deflection (both giving or taking) is part of the president job. The intermediary and line between sport and money.

I think JR is crafty, and perhaps a bit smug, yes. But to me it feels more like a blunt candidness.  And he stated the truth. We have good pieces. We are going into future with those pieces and what he feels will be more complimentary to theirs and the team’s success.

He’s not going to say it’s “iffy that we’ll make the playoffs this year”. 
there always has to be hope.

thats a pretty common theme for that role. I don’t see how that’s been under false pretence. 

and yeah, the team showed it could be a real player last year. Unlike other seasons, they were actually dominant. When your club goes on a tear and could potentially generate playoff revenues, your owner takes that option every time.

luckily that annual futility streak appears to be at its end. 

I guess perhaps I just try to look at things through a different lens, and to me this seems a lot like someone taking the hits to cover what is disconnection and a conflicting plan once again coming from top down. We know that ownership is active with the club. Greg Wyshniski was on Marek the other day and said there’s rumblings and he’s heard that JR is being managed a bit by ownership. The phrasing was something along the lines of JR “not having the deference” he thought he would have as President, given his history. I don’t doubt that at all. 

I think the franchise from the top down is unhealthy. That’s what I feel like we are witnessing. Given where we are, I think best hopes we can place is on someone who has proven over many many years that they can put together a winner. Thats all we can be asking for right now as fans. Even if their methods seem questionable at first. It’s a new relationship with someone who is only a year into a job that is trying to juggle ownerships and PR’s directive of what and how to say it, versus a successful man who has built a foundational reputation and career in this sport and more so, business, simply and honestly speaking his mind. 

Maybe the situation deserves a little more respect in terms of how precarious it was, is and will become over the next few months. It’s all come to a head now, let’s see the real work begin because JR has now essentially forced his own and ownerships hand. That aspect is really interesting to me. 

Edited by RWJC
  • RoughGame 1