The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

8 minutes ago, KFan said:

I'm looking forward to the end of the management/coach fiasco. I really like Bruce as a player's coach, and believe there are teams and years where his style is most successful. His tenure with the Canucks didn't give him one of those teams. A coach has basically two assignments; establish good systems, and get the most out of your players. I don't think he did either remarkably well, but I also believe that rather than having a 'team' to work with, he had a bunch of fair to good to very good players that don't gel as a team. Some of that I put on Horvat. Just like I think BB is too soft on the players, I also think Horvat is too soft/not the right guy for this team. I also have little respect for his extra effort this year, just because it's a contract year. So many times last year I was so pissed at his floating. BB is obviously gone, and I hope, for a decent return, Horvat goes as well. Then take the A away from OEL and make QH and EP the assistants. They have a lot to learn as leaders, but I believe they would both rise to the challenge.  Appoint a Captain later.

JR and Alvine have made some mistakes, but given what they had to work with, players and cap, they've also made some good moves. I disagree with how JR has handled the coaching issue, but I also blame the leak he has in the room that has had Friedman et al sensationalizing the whole thing. The media has made this way bigger than it needed to be. It was the right thing for management to secure another coach before they got rid of the current one. Sure, they could have promoted one of the assistants on an interim basis, but if you have no faith in them either, why would you do that? Over the years, when I knew I was letting a senior manager go, I always ensured I was looking for who I considered to be a better replacement for who my team of employees was at the time, hoping the new guy or gal would get better production from them. JR/PA have done that. JRs media methodology was poor, but the media's unrelenting attention made it worse.

I don't know a lot about Tocchet, but I'm hoping, because I love the Canucks, he's the right guy with the right system, for this team at this time. Going into the trade deadline and by the end of summer we'll know if management has the smarts and the balls to make the moves necessary to make us true contenders some time over the next 3 years as JR suggests is possible.

Bruce did get a lot out of the players last season. 

But somehow, he failed to do that this season. Why is that?

As for the system, Bruce is a high pressure forechecking coach as we saw last season. This season, our forechecking game has been diminished. Why is that?

These are some of the things to consider when it comes to evaluating Bruce's tenure as a coach.

At the end of the day, I don't think he's the right coach for the long term. 

But the way the management is handling this? Well, it's a disgrace.

The fact that JR knew so little about relentlessness of the media in Canada is somewhat of a surprise to say the least. He should have kept his mouth shut.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Out of the country at the moment and I'm not gonna get up at 4 am. to watch what will probably be another loss. I'm okay with losing, that will put us on the same number of games as SJ. We need to try and undertake them in the tank league. Unfortunately the Soilers are a salutary lesson that getting first round picks does not necessarily bring you the ultimate prize. 

The reasons for EDM failure since drafting McDavid are for another thread, but let's hope that if we do by any chance land a great player in the lottery we can build a team that will be great for more than just 1 year. That will depend on a management team that has yet to prove its worth.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I hope Boudreau ends up staying and this new management regime comes to it's senses and realizes there are some players on this team that are the problem, not the coach. IMO, Tocchet isn't even close in regards to being more qualified then Boudreau to coach this team. Keep Bruce and let him pick his assistants. Not rocket science. Aqualini should have seen to this when he hired Bruce.

I'm afraid to say it but this is likely his last stint - tonight.  

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You know the only thing that bothers me about yesterdays postgame was the players saying it really got to us. Really! Last night got to you? When you guys could have played hard the whole year and changed this result. It was in their hands to change things. This poor me, well it got to us. Maybe start playing a heck of a lot better for your coaches and not give management the chance to fire them. So many coaches, they should feel bad they are PART of the reason and a big reason he is being let go. The second time in the last year where they haven't played well and have contributed to someone getting fired. It would have been nice to hear a player say we put him in this position and I feel awful. I don't disagree that Bruce isn't the right coach but once you make the change, please change some of these players out. No more poor me.

This is one of your better posts. I understand why the players would be rattled, but they have to own their share of the responsibility for the of results.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You know the only thing that bothers me about yesterdays postgame was the players saying it really got to us. Really! Last night got to you? When you guys could have played hard the whole year and changed this result. It was in their hands to change things. This poor me, well it got to us. Maybe start playing a heck of a lot better for your coaches and not give management the chance to fire them. So many coaches, they should feel bad they are PART of the reason and a big reason he is being let go. The second time in the last year where they haven't played well and have contributed to someone getting fired. It would have been nice to hear a player say we put him in this position and I feel awful. I don't disagree that Bruce isn't the right coach but once you make the change, please change some of these players out. No more poor me.

Do you know how many times over how many years I have heard "he can only coach what he has"?

Roster construction, this is the worst group of defencemen on the team for quite some time, even worse than last year. It is not just there were no new substantial improvements it also has to do with players playing outside their comfort zones, too much ice time, getting older and slower and expectations.

The coach is not the reason for failure, it has been evident for 5 years what the reason is, a bad mix and a losing culture.

What do fans think is the reason OEL got a massive contract from Arizona? A guess, it wasn't because he was the best defensive defenceman on the team, it was because he was the PP quarter back getting loads of PP ice time and not playing a ton of PK. It is unreasonable to blame him for not being something else, the blame is the roster construction and playing a player in the wrong role. It is similar with Myers, not so much he was a scoring powerhouse but a good 18 to 20 min huge right handed defenceman, something the league covets but here he is playing with a different partner almost every night, how to build chemistry? Toews and Makar have chemistry and play together almost all the time, but who is Myers partner? Players are not cookie cut to all be the same. Hughes is not very good in his own zone putting pressure on the forwards to cover up for him, Pearson was very very good at that, he was almost the 3rd best defenceman on the team but that added pressure makes the players have to stop and think who is out there and how they have to adjust their game to what he might do.

Edmonton is fighting for a playoff spot so they will be going hard, I don't think the Oilers will give the Canucks a sympathy game/win.

The Canuck players will try to "win one for the Gipper" maybe too hard though.

Edmonton without breaking a sweat

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Hockey Day in Canada.

The last memory of my Mom when she was still "with us". I've told it before. She was in palliative dying of brain cancer. Was not "with us" mentally any more and was barely hanging on physically. She did still recognize me, but thought my son was my ex. Thought her parents, (who'd died 20 years earlier) were still here. Etc.

I crept into her dark hospital room...curtains closed, lights off. She was sleeping.

I snuck the little hospital TV on...muted. Canucks. Pulled the arm of the TV so it was close to me but it was still in view of Mom. I think the light from it may have disturbed her. She stirred, then tried to sit up, squinting at the TV. All of a sudden she said "is that Trevor Linden?" It was. I was floored! I held her hand as a tear rolled down my cheek and we shared one of our final moments together. This was her team. Dammit.

FTR we beat the Leafs 6-1.

Thanks for sharing that with us. Your mom must have smiled down from heaven when Trevor showed up for the Gino tribute. 

5 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I hope Boudreau ends up staying and this new management regime comes to it's senses and realizes there are some players on this team that are the problem, not the coach. IMO, Tocchet isn't even close in regards to being more qualified then Boudreau to coach this team. Keep Bruce and let him pick his assistants. Not rocket science. Aqualini should have seen to this when he hired Bruce.

I’m rethinking my belief that JR is Aquilini’s puppet in all situations.  Yes, JR is clearly following the owner’s direction for building the team and what to emphasize in any trade returns.  But the whole Boudreau thing has me seeing JR at loggerheads with Aquilini.  From day one it seems JR would talk publicly about Bruce with a negative tone.  He even went so far as to say he thought Bruce was only signed for one season.  So maybe this is JR fighting against what the owner wants?  The owner wants to keep Bruce until the end of this season, when the contract runs out.  And JR is pushing for change now.  Sounds like JR was pushing for Bruce to be out for quite a while but the owner won’t go for it.  Maybe Bruce actually is a manager who gets his way with our owner, even if it’s just with the coaching situation?  Hopefully, if this is the case, then JR will be able to influence the owner’s concept of how to make us a winner.  

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I was thinking this as well. Hearing the Bruce there it is chants and then they panned to JR and Allvin in the box. I wondered, do they not hear this? Are they still going to go ahead with firing him, knowing how much the fans love him? Stone-cold Jim Rutherford. 

• Cheers 1