The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

In the end, it drags on about a week or two too long.  I know a lot of people want to just let it tank right out but I’m glad Bruce gets to walk away - and he did so with class despite how poorly management handled this.

I understand letting Tocchet start introducing his system / some discipline ASAP as well.  Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - hopefully Gonchar comes with him right away, too.

If that is correct, what a fng joke. Screw Tocchet and the owner/management. Absolutely demented.

• There it is 1

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don’t understand why Bruce wasn’t let go as soon as Aquilini hired on Tocchet?  Just have Yoe work as the HC in the interim.  Unless the assistant coaches get the ban hammer too? Hell, what a mess. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

In the end, it drags on about a week or two too long.  I know a lot of people want to just let it tank right out but I’m glad Bruce gets to walk away - and he did so with class despite how poorly management handled this.

I understand letting Tocchet start introducing his system / some discipline ASAP as well.  Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - hopefully Gonchar comes with him right away, too.

Poorly handed for sure. But last week was the terrible 5 game road trip and went 1-4.  He deserves to have a game at home at least, let the fans show their appreciation. 

Remember what TG's last game was like?  Fan yelling Fire Benning, jerseys tossed on ice etc. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t understand why Bruce wasn’t let go as soon as Aquilini hired on Tocchet?  Just have Yoe work as the HC in the interim.  Unless the assistant coaches get the ban hammer too? Hell, what a mess. 

Assistant coaches are gone too

• Thanks 1

Just now, Moe Knows said:

Hopefully it's even louder tonight

Totally. I mean, it’s amazing really. The team stinks and has for years now, but when Bruce came in he brought with him such light and positivity that it helped the fans endure. Now, even though, the losses are mounting and the team looks deflated and dejected, the fans haven’t lost sight of the real situation. To me, that’s huge. And honorable, and makes me proud to be a Canucks fan. 

Ery very disappointed in ownership/management.   Its deplorable to treat employees the way Bruce has been treated.  The current coach has been nothing but class, entertaining and done a very good job under the circumstances.  He has done a great job getting the team to play as hard as they have given all the noise from JR.  
    I wish bruce nothing but success and thank him for all he did and how he handled this whole mess! 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

Just now, naslund.is.king said:

I hope managment gets some "love" thrown their way as well.

Oh yeah. I agree. That being said, make tonight about the loudest Bruce cheers ever. Then, once Bruce is gone, unleash hell upon management and ownership for the rest of the season. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

What is the reason for a possible coaching change now - is it to save THIS  season or are they going to be doing major retool anyway on the fly. to be better  next year. If is the latter, not sure the point of throwing whoever the new coach is under the current "hostile" environment.  Maybe start with some player changes.and let BB continue and see how the team goes from there. By removing BB before the player changes, you are basically blaming him for the players poor performances.

It could be for public relations mostly. To put out a fire. But it is still incoherent. We have to keep losing.

Tocchet could be forgiven for continued losses IF the team sells core players and doesn't replace them.

10 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

If that is correct, what a fng joke. Screw Tocchet and the owner/management. Absolutely demented.

You can not like Tocchet as a coach but it’s not his fault for taking the job.  By that logic Bruce was a jerk for taking Green’s job.  That’s just the nature of the business.

Management allowing all the leaks here, creating a little circus is pretty bad, for sure.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Agree. At least Bruce knows the fans love him and he can walk away with his head held high. It was great to hear that chant. Bruce has a positive legacy in this city and will be looked upon fondly.

I'm open to seeing what Tocchet can do. I liked him as a player and I do believe we need more of that in our game. We're seeing the changes first hand now, unfortunately starting with Bruce, and change has been needed. It's not going to be pretty but hope it's done right from here on out. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Poorly handed for sure. But last week was the terrible 5 game road trip and went 1-4.  He deserves to have a game at home at least, let the fans show their appreciation. 

Remember what TG's last game was like?  Fan yelling Fire Benning, jerseys tossed on ice etc. 

Benning and Green were dragged out even longer.  Considering how badly they did in the Canadian Division only to roll into an even worse start to last season.  

It was like a year and a half of misery.  But at least Benning wasn’t taking pot shots at Green and trying to publicly hire people behind his back.  (I did hear a rumour he had asked for a coaching change before they were all let go.)

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

You can not like Tocchet as a coach but it’s not his fault for taking the job.  By that logic Bruce was a jerk for taking Green’s job.  That’s just the nature of the business.

Management allowing all the leaks here, creating a little circus is pretty bad, for sure.

That's really the entire point. The owner/management are a frickin' joke. Is Tocchet any better than Bruce? Does it really matter? The one above has to go. Period. Stop messing with the team. Is that clear enough? 

Jim Rutherford is so in over his head , it's unbelievable. He had no clue what a real Canadian hockey market is like. 

He was the 3rd or 4th wheel in Pittsburgh. Which is comparable to the  Vancouver Giants. Yes it's Aquilinis fault for such poor judgement. But it's also Rutherfrauds fault for taking the job. I hope he gets booed out of his chair tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m rethinking my belief that JR is Aquilini’s puppet in all situations.  Yes, JR is clearly following the owner’s direction for building the team and what to emphasize in any trade returns.  But the whole Boudreau thing has me seeing JR at loggerheads with Aquilini.  From day one it seems JR would talk publicly about Bruce with a negative tone.  He even went so far as to say he thought Bruce was only signed for one season.  So maybe this is JR fighting against what the owner wants?  The owner wants to keep Bruce until the end of this season, when the contract runs out.  And JR is pushing for change now.  Sounds like JR was pushing for Bruce to be out for quite a while but the owner won’t go for it.  Maybe Bruce actually is a manager who gets his way with our owner, even if it’s just with the coaching situation?  Hopefully, if this is the case, then JR will be able to influence the owner’s concept of how to make us a winner.  

Or maybe JR is just a bustaroo B)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • There it is 1