The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, IRR said:

I appreciate that…..this place is just getting harder & harder to enjoy! Sadly, ignore isn’t covering it all anymore. I just want to point out / stop the toxic negativity by some, but somehow it gets twisted into other stuff…like saying people can’t have an opinion, criticize etc, but that’s 100% not what I’m saying. Some need to see / understand the difference and I wish more would stand against the really bad stuff. That’s all really. 

It's a dark time for the team and the fans but we'll come out the other side of this.  Then we can start complaining about homerism rather than negativity haha!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

so, they fired him, even knowing Demko was injured, so the team was screwed. Then they did nothing to even attempt a temporary fix of the goalie situation, but you maintain they gave him a 'fair shake'?

Do you think we had a chance even with Demko in the line up? Give your head a shake. We didn't even look good in the preseason.:lol:

5 minutes ago, tkanuk said:

1. Ownership choosing the coach. It completely pulled the rug out from under management. They couldn’t begin to put their plan into place. 
2. My hope is that it tells ownership to back off and stop micromanaging. 

Okay, another question. If Boudreau was the wrong coach for them, why did they resign him at the end of the season? If this was the actual issue, why not change the coach when they had every opportunity over the summer? I get that we had a good run last season, but the decision was still in management's hands at the time and the whole reason why Bruce is here this season is NOT because of ownership's hiring but because of management's resigning.

As far as management micromanaging, please don't get me wrong: I don't like ownership at the moment and I've mentioned that I think they're part of the reason why we're in this mess in the first place. However, I also kind of think your scenario's unlikely given the risk of tensions as I have mentioned. Like I said, if what you're saying is true, we're in for a bad time moving forward. I don't think your scenario gets you the results you think it will. Remember, this is the same ownership that made Linden walk away afterall.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, IRR said:

I appreciate that…..this place is just getting harder & harder to enjoy! Sadly, ignore isn’t covering it all anymore. I just want to point out / stop the toxic negativity by some, but somehow it gets twisted into other stuff…like saying people can’t have an opinion, criticize etc, but that’s 100% not what I’m saying. Some need to see / understand the difference and I wish more would stand against the really bad stuff. That’s all really. 

I hear ya. It’s an emotional day, and our team is losing. CDC is not at its best.

Appreciate those who bring positivity and open-mindedness, and are willing to have an unpopular take, or stand up for a player whose fallen out of favour for most. 

@grandmaster supporting Miller comes to mind

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 2

I'm good with it.  At this point, it is what it is and we should look forward. 

I like that JR started with his apology, takes cagones to do that in front of everyone and puts an end to everything.  PA said more about nothing but I surprisingly liked what Tocchet said.  Short shifts so you don't start coasting stood out for me most.  I like the little tid bits about "rules" and calculated risks as well as in game adjustments.  Also seems like the Sedins have really found their stride in their post playing career and are earning more responsibilities.

Hopefully Gonchar and Foote make a difference on us developing the defense.  Gonchar helping the Pens win back 2 back with not the best defense group is promising.

Cautiously optimistic all this winning pedigree adds up to something.   I've tuned out the last couple weeks and I'll be tuning back in to see the changes with this being the first domino to fall.  

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

It's a dark time for the team and the fans but we'll come out the other side of this.  Then we can start complaining about homerism rather than negativity haha!

Lol! For sure! 

It’s been a bit of a rough ride for sure, but even during these times, I think some need to be careful how far down the rabbit hole they go. Being at least somewhat positive during hard times, will only help making it to the other side. That and it’s not the healthiest / most constructive thing anyway, if that makes sense. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Baratheon said:

Answer: They didn't.  

Well, even if they didn't, they still had the option on whether he should come back or not. I remember an entire debacle on this forum about whether or not management would bring him back over the summer.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

As if to illustrate my point.  The globe and mail likening one of the worst toxic disasters with loss of human life to the firing of a coach.  That is shameful, and so disrespectful that I'm sick to my stomach...our local media ladies and gentleman.  Hundreds of deaths is equal to a sports coaching change.

Screenshot_20230122_161443_Chrome.jpg

I don't disagree that local media is toxic,  but isn't that guy outta TO?

1 minute ago, IRR said:

Lol! For sure! 

It’s been a bit of a rough ride for sure, but even during these times, I think some need to be careful how far down the rabbit hole they go. Being at least somewhat positive during hard times, will only help making it to the other side. That and it’s not the healthiest / most constructive thing anyway, if that makes sense. 

Keep bringing the positivity my friend, you’ve got that 1K post milestone coming up 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Wow, what a dick. So much money in PG. That guy has no idea what he's talking about. 

This platform is seriously toxic at times. What ever happened to "love thy neighbour" etc? Someone earlier called out Tochett cause he may have supported the truckers' convoy. Leave it alone people. Just let people live their lives for crying out loud. We all have different views on life, different situations, different challenges and circumstances. This place is supposed to be about hockey and our beloved hockey team. Hard to stick around here sometimes. Geez.

Go "Nucks Go!!!

Edited by bad alice french
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, The Lock said:

Well, even if they didn't, they still had the option on whether he should come back or not. I remember an entire debacle on this forum about whether or not management would bring him back over the summer.

That's true.  Honestly I'm glad they gave Bruce a shot at another year.  I'm like everyone else though.  Not thrilled about how it ended.

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm going to say that I don't hold his coaching career against Tocchet. Tampa when he coached them, was sparse on talent, they aren't the team they are today and is there ANYONE over the past 20 years who has a record in Arizona that's any better than his? They have been a team in transition for almost as long as they have been in Arizona, I won't hold against him, a team that didn't have the budget or management structure to succeed.

I'm willing to wait and see what he can do with the Canucks on the ice, and I'm not even really holding the rest of this season against him.

This whole management team and coaching staff will be held accountable by fans for how the trade deadline goes and how the team starts next season.

I've been waiting for JR to really put his stamp on the on ice product and for better or worse, this is the first step of that. I don't like how the situation was handled, but going to put that aside and give Tocchet a fair chance to show that he can create a structure this team can succeed with.

Great take

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I hear ya. It’s an emotional day, and our team is losing. CDC is not at its best.

Appreciate those who bring positivity and open-mindedness, and are willing to have an unpopular take, or stand up for a player whose fallen out of favour for most. 

@grandmaster supporting Miller comes to mind

For sure! Appreciate that…..I just think some of it goes too far and maybe a happy medium is in order and at least a semi positive outlook. 

• Cheers 1