The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

JR and Alvin said that Tocchet main focus is to evaluate players correct, not necessarily win games. But to your point of giving points away to teams under us "purposely" that isnt going to happen either. The main point, which every fan should agree with is, is to cut away the fat of the team and give certain players more accountability and ice time, that includes bringing up younger players from AHL, reducing ice time on some players while increasing ice time on others. 

I didn't say it was going to happen. I said it should happen and it should.

When we play those teams and we're killing a penalty, we should pull the goalie for an extra penalty killer. ;)

Trimming fat is going to be tough because a lot of our fat is overpaid and has term.

Edited by nuckin_futz

3 hours ago, Devron said:

I’d like to see more effort out of our bottom 6 players to be honest. Joshua for example has had game where he looks great and other where he’s basically a pylon. Lazar can be better. I’d just like to see our 3rd/4th line harder to play against. They look easy out there 

What even is our third line? 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

24 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

OEL sounds genuinely happy about this change. I mean, losing all the time is no fun, so any chance for improvement has to be welcome. Some teams with existing internal structure may do well with a free wheeling motivational coach like Boudreau, but I have a feeling this group is craving more of a structured approach. I thought his comment that Tocchet doesn’t want them standing around so much was pretty telling. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The one thing I like about Myers with Hughes is that it limits Myers from carrying the puck up the ice. Just hand it to Hughes and he’ll take care of the rest.

So many times Myers has flashbacks to his rookie season and thinks he’s an elite puck mover. The less he moves into the offensive zone the better.

Thats what I'm hoping as well. 

He can simplify his game and let Quinn do his thing while he just makes sure hes positionally where he should be. 

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

:lol: I remember not that long ago, people were celebrating a different "End of the country club".....

....That was when we hired Torts....:rolleyes:

Remember that embarrassing, "John Tortorella: Greatest Canucks coach ever!" thread? :lol:

....good times.....

Hey now, some of us were initially thrilled to have Rutherford on board too.. 

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I mean I can understand that perspective.

Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Myers, OEL, Pearson, Joshua, Mikheyev, they all have no personality and it shows. Just quiet, can look very disengaged on the bench, lack emotion. 

We need some more passionate guys like Kuzmenko and hell even Garland. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, this kind of thing is why I don't visit Canucks Talk much any more...

All of these guys start off as "great additions" and by the time they are inevitably let go, they're "useless bums"....

My opinion is often quite unpopular in these threads. I think Alain Vigneault is the best coach the Canucks ever had. (and that includes Pat Quinn) By the time he was finally fired, I had argued with pretty much everyone on CDC about him.....and it started around the '09 season....

I mean, I welcome your opinions 

You've always been one of the more insightful posters around here imo and you provide good sources and the like to back up your points 

As for AV, yeah he's definitely up there if not the guy 

I'd take Av's initial boring defensive hockey over what we've had the last season and a half 

It's no coincidence that he was the guy behind the bench coaching what was one of the most statistically dominant teams ever

• Vintage 1