The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Media built up what was entirely visible to anyone who watched this team. Bruce couldn’t get them to perform, coaches are always first to go when change occurs, and the inevitable happened. Media did Bruce NO FAVOURS by focusing and grinding out that aspect/strory, but because it has that human tangent due to the great human being he is, it becomes such easy fodder for the dipshits who can’t seem to accept reality of where this team was headed. Ppl get caught up in the emotion of what was an unfortunately natural progression, and of course want to vicariously be victims themselves as well of the same process in order to show support for Bruce. I understand that, it’s human nature. It’s also a pseudo-guilt reaction to seeing him depart. He’s a very loveable guy who hopefully gets another shot somewhere else. 

Most recent case in NHL was Rick Bowness. If you recall how that went down, Bowness is also a much revered and respected bench boss, yet the nature of being a pro sports coach gave him a rough ride too. Like Bowness, Bruce has accepted its part of the game.

What he also had to accept was media poking and prodding him about it every given opportunity just so they could get a fukn sound bite. That’s just as shameful as unfortunately having to apply a strategy as to when to relieve such a good human being/coach.

I respect your opinion but to me the genesis of all of this was JR's comment on BB about defensive structure. That set this whole circus up. We can all blame the media for fanning the flames but there is a flame to begin with. Had JR not said that last off season, media might not have tried so hard to dig for the story. 

Like I said in another post.

Aqua put together the kindling.

JR lit the fire.

Media fanned the flames.

Then JR instead of extinguishing it, poured gasoline ontop of it. 

It helps BB was likeable but like you said BB was bound to go due to on ice performance if the team and the fact he ain't part of JR's country club. 

Blaming this fully on media and is just disingenuous. 

As with your comparison to Bowness, that is still different than this situation. Main difference is he was let go or not renewed after the season. During the season we also do not have concrete reporting of if or whom Bowness would replaced by. His treatment also sucked that is more par of the course for the nhl. This situation isn't and is unique in the nhl in recent history. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RWJC said:

coaches are always first to go when change occurs, and the inevitable happened

coach already got sacked, GM already got sacked.

well past time to sack the players.----- Nah- fire another coach, that'll fix things. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

WAS running well. It is not anymore, which is one of many reasons the Canucks can't win.

They can't win because they give up 4 plus a game and have AHL goaltending. Thier PP has been the lone decent stat this team has. To blame the PP for our struggles is actually pretty hilarious.  Scoring isn't this teams problem, that's well documented 

Edited by Harold Drunken

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

They can't win because they give up 4 plus a game and have AHL goaltending. Thier PP has been the lone decent stat this team has. To blame the PP for our struggles is actually pretty hilarious 

Did you read what I wrote? I said one of MANY reasons. That being said, they were winning when their PP was scoring, now their PP is not scoring and they are losing every game. It's not unrelated. 

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Florida, Nashville, Arizona, NJD until this year, Carolina, Anaheim

Lots of southern teams may be listed as worth a lot but many aren't very solvent with the NHL through it's subsidiaries holding big loans.

If you can remember or even know, Nashville bought 6000 of their own tickets and gave them out to meet subsidy requirements.

Teams are allowed to do this because the tickets are used for marketing.

For awhile Florida gave free tickets after the game started if you had a driver's licence and Arizona was giving away a car each game. Used to be buy a ticket and get a free hotel room. Huge numbers of fans would follow and it was cheaper to go Arizona for a game than to buy 4 red zone ticket and parking at a Canucks game, flight included.

Also during the Coyotes bankruptcy court case Bettman testified that there is only one entity that owned all the franchises and no competition between franchises. Like the WWF/WWW, an entertainment business.

It is  in the public realm because of Arizona law. Buried now by millions of astro surfed comments but it is there, maybe Goldwater still have the court minutes.

Edited by ToTellTheTruth

1 minute ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Did you read what I wrote? I said one of MANY reasons. That being said, they were winning when their PP was scoring, now their PP is not scoring and they are losing every game. It's not unrelated. 

They were winning consistently when the PP was better? When? this was a sub .500 with the the PP clicking too lol you can go 50% in the PP and still lose when you give up 5 a night 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

They can't win because they give up 4 plus a game and have AHL goaltending. Thier PP has been the lone decent stat this team has. To blame the PP for our struggles is actually pretty hilarious 

does it matter their PP is "decent" when we give up the most short handed goals in the league? if u subtract a powerplay goal for every short handed goal against.. we'd be close to last in the league

7 hours ago, KFan said:

In fact, when it's said that people change, it is often exactly their level of integrity and moral values that change. There aren't too many of us who can say we've never made a big mistake from which we've learned valuable lessons. Being caught with your hand in the cookie jar type of embarrassments is going to change a person; most for the good. I'll definitely reserve judgement for right now.

When I was about 10 years old I was a serial shoplifter. My greatest feat was stealing 2 Stompers at the same time from the Zellers at the mall. God I loved those things. I stole candy and chocolate bars from 7-11 at least every week. This went on for an entire summer. I became a prolific petty thief. I felt a little bad about it but it didn’t really seem to hurt anyone and the thrill of getting free toys and treats was just too great. 

And then one day the lady followed me out of 7-11 and yelled “Stop!” I knew I was busted and my heart sank. I felt sick to my stomach. I tried to deny I had anything in my pockets but I broke down and admitted everything. The lady gave me a stern talking to and on agreement that I never set foot in the store again, she would not call the police and my parents. God Damn was I relieved. I avoided that 7-11 for an entire year, felt awful about what I’d done, and honestly have never stolen a thing from anyone ever again.  

So yeah, people can change and I’m going to give Tocchet the benefit of the doubt. I’ve watched some of his interviews from the past few years and I don’t mind what I’ve heard from him. I’m certainly not getting any toxic vibes. He seems like he’ll be tough, but not a jerk. We’ll see!

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

My assessment:

The team will see a bounce in the standings... some more wins.

Not enough to get them into the playoffs, but enough to make their chances of getting a top 4 pick impossible.

Which means this entire sh*tshow season will be for nothing... a complete waste.

We won't get a decent pick and we won't make the playoffs.

Congrats to the management team... NOT.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, chon derry said:

What ever horvats demands were,at the  Time ,had no bearing on millers situation   And shouldn’t have necessitated millers signing ,my point is they could have afforded them self’s the time for further evaluation, of both players. 

I just don't think you pay your 2C $8.5 unless his name is Draisaitl

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

So yeah, people can change and I’m going to give Tocchet the benefit of the doubt. I’ve watched some of his interviews from the past few years and I don’t mind what I’ve heard from him. I’m certainly not getting any toxic vibes. He seems like he’ll be tough, but not a jerk. We’ll see!

Gambling is an addition and now legal even promoted by his employers. 

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

My assessment:

Not enough to get them into the playoffs, but enough to make their chances of getting a top 4 pick impossible.

Which means this entire sh*tshow season will be for nothing... a complete waste.

Yep, status quo until Pettersson leaves

• Upvote 1

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

My assessment:

I don’t see it. This team is truly broken. Divided. More a collection of individuals than a cohesive unit. Key players are going to be traded sooner than later (probably for middling reclamation projects if Rutherturd has his way) and the team will circle the bowl for the remaining schedule. 

There ain’t a bump coming. A plummet more like it.  

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don’t see it. This team is truly broken. Divided. More a collection of individuals than a cohesive unit. Key players are going to be traded sooner than later (probably for middling reclamation projects if Rutherturd has his way) and the team will circle the bowl for the remaining schedule. 

There ain’t a bump coming. A plummet more like it.  

Best parallel is what happened in Toronto after Neilson.  It wasn't pretty and most of the top players demanded trades.

• elephant 1

At least the organization knows that the fans are pissed off. How they supported Bruce for his final two games was a clear signal of where the fanbase is at, and it’s not behind ownership or management. 

This remaining season and especially the offseason will be under a lot of scrutiny. The likes of which this organization has probably never seen.