The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

With Adam Foote now as assistant coach, I wonder if a Horvat to Tampa for Cal Foote + trade might be in the works? 

I hope not.

Do we need more nepotism in this team with so much cronyism that has taken place the last year? (kudos to @Elias Pettersson for the vocabulary lesson)

If an assistant coach's son isn't doing well, what is the head coach going to do? Bench him? That won't be easy.

The only way we do a deal with Tampa is if their offer is better than the other teams' offers. Cal Foote is a bottom pairing defenceman right now and 24 years old. Might be that's all he will be. So a package surrounding Cal Foote wouldn't be a good idea. And if such trade is made, the media in this market is going to speculate the hell out of it and say that the Canucks turned down a better offer from this and that team just to get Cal Foote for Adam Foote.

The other part that was annoying about being lied to was that they kept saying “the speculation drove this.”

What speculation?  The entire hockey world knew exactly who had been hired, when he would be hired, and even his assistants. There wasn’t speculation, there was reporting of well known facts that turned out to be 100% true.

This whole schtick about blaming the media is just getting so old.  Without the media they are a bunch of guys who are the best players in their respective beer leagues.  The media and TV coverage is what pays their salary and is inherent in the league.

They couldn’t fire Bruce when it became public (through their own mishandling) because he was under contract?  Green was under contract and he got fired… Bruce is still under contract and he has been fired.  They kept Yeo and he has head coaching experience, there is zero reason that they couldn’t have announced him as interim a month ago when they apparently made the final decision they didn’t have faith in Bruce after the meeting they kept referring to.  If they didn’t have faith in Bruce why would they let him keep losing games for them?

I kept trying to give them credit to explain the debacle.  If they planned a wholesale coaching change including all the assistants maybe they were stuck trying to assemble it and couldn’t make the change until they could.  That wasn’t the case though clearly.  They could have had Yeo coach and had a video coach bumped down to the bench for a few games to cover the missing Boudreau and Cull.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Yes, it is.

But the path you take to get there matters too. You don't want to leave a trail of people in your wake who have been treated poorly and stepped over to get there. Sure, a cup win'll erase that but it will always remain in the shadows.

The entire thing is building a franchise where players want to land in as a destination and can work toward that goal. The part about making players feel safe? You do that by being transparent and open (not JR open where you tell what's wrong without dealing head on with that...you leave everyone wondering).

I am putting this fiasco in the past and going to move forward with anticipation OF hopefully seeing our team win a cup soon. But how people are treated is equally important to me and right now there's a lot of drama and controversy that the media is running with. They didn't create these situations, they're just exploiting them to their advantage. Don't give them anything. Start doing things because "I have to shut up" and "I'm sorry" now have to be backed up with actions. I feel that was more of a subtle threat from JR that he won't give us anything anymore. It was kind of a "fine, I won't talk to you anymore" snub that isn't really the answer.

But if the organization's actions speak for them that'll be different. Time for results....no more "we're stuck here because" because they were hired knowing this. Their job was to somehow fix things and if they couldn't, don't sign on for the job. This victim mentality isn't cut it...they get paid the big bucks to figure it out. I still don't really like that it's friends and associates getting signed on...that's a little suspect to me. But if they're good, qualified people who show us results here, all the power to them. That'll be the decider for me.

I'm going to get back to throwing my support behind the team. Except, if we starting winning now and blow a draft pick is that really "successful"? To finish in the middle of the pack. I'm quite alright with losing it out and regrouping next year. This isn't about individuals proving themselves here (coaches), it's about what's best overall for the team. Right now, winning might lift the spirits but it also lifts us in the standings but the desired ending is pretty much out of reach.

I’m alright with Rutherford not talking anymore.  With What little availability he afforded the media wasn’t believable anyway. Further to that Allvin  carries himself as a  virtual hologram. Neither are very credible. They got their way. Now it’s put up or shut up. As long as it goes positive they can shut up for all I care. Go GCG. (Players only!) 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

The team is worse than it’s ever been. No amount of excuses will wash away the stain they’ve put on our beloved team. 

talk about gutting all the culture and the pride there was in this franchise. They finally did it with all their misdeeds. 

Have confidence  in them? Don’t be stupid, the only thing they deserve from anyone based on their first year of red flags is disdain.

just disgraceful and embarrassing this mess is what you get when you put people who are learning the ropes of the job at the highest levels of hockey. Making stupid decision after decision. A chimpanzee could make more tactful  decisions. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

Tocchet said he'll be relying on mike yeo a lot.:picard:

Then again hopefully we're headed for all time best tanks.

I'm taking a 2 week break, back for the devils game. Hope we lose the next 3 for the tank and for the pathetic firing handling. 

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
brucethereitwas
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

At the end of the day PA, JR and RT are hockey people. They came to the game as players. They did not major in media and PR, to my knowledge. They come to such media scrums to try and explain their actions because sports writers and fans want to dally in the details. The sports writers fed themselves in this manner and the fans titillate their senses out of rather humdrum lives. A tad to brutal? I guess so. 

As a long time Canuck fan I want a 'banner in the rafters'. IMHO Allvin was bang on in his assessment. Running the Canucks is about winning a CUP. If their assessment is that Boudreau could not deliver that then he had to go. JR & PA have been on the job for about 1 year now. Boudreau was here before they were. What is/was happening on the ice was not working. That is not all on BB. Neither is it all on JR & PA. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not have a strong grasp on what it takes to change an org in the NHL. It takes years. The world does not care how long Canuck fans have been waiting. The world does not owe the Canucks a break. As is usual in Canuckland the finger pointing and escapism from reality goes on. 

Accept that Rutherford and Allvin will take their kick at the can. They will be judged over time for what they accomplish. Give Jim Benning some credit. Look at the roster in 2014 and then again for when he left in 2022. He added some pieces that will make PA's job somewhat easier. That does not change the harsh reality that the only thing that counts is the scorecard. 

Banner in the rafters comment was not a "bang on" assessment. He used that to deflect what he thought about how the team handled the Boudreau situation.

At first, I was sympathetic that he was asked this loaded question. On the other hand, I now remember that Rutherford said this:

image.png.cef118e84bc2b757010fe22529cb59b7.png

These idiots will pass the hot potato to each other because they don't want to accept accountability for their own misdeeds.

For these people, it will always be somebody else's fault, even if the situation (whether it's the cap situation/coaching) was their own doing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

With Adam Foote now as assistant coach, I wonder if a Horvat to Tampa for Cal Foote + trade might be in the works? 

Horvat is not an asset you spend to get Foote.

He's a bottom pair D with maybe #4-#5 tweener upside. Different players, but he's similar level to a guy like Bear, whom we paid very little for, with salary retention. 3rd pair D are easy and cheap to sign, trade for or even occasionally, snag off waivers.

Now if you can get him for say Schenn or similar... Sure. Take a flyer on him as a young, solid, physical, depth defensive D. But for Horvat.... Not as a main piece, that's for sure.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2