The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

My take aways from the interview.

Boudreau was killing our prospects we needed to hide them from him in the AHL. 

Tocc want's to take our top 6 players off of our league worst PK. 

Miller doesn't backcheck because he's tired and has to conserve energy. 

JR is going to apologize to Boudreau. 

Our D coach isn't going to be present at the games or practices. 

Tocc likes Vancouver's restaurants in the short term he's going to go to dinners and take small bites.  Thinks very highly of PKane and Towes.

• Haha 2

Just now, hammertime said:

My take aways from the interview.

Boudreau was killing our prospects we needed to hide them from him in the AHL. 

Tocc want's to take our top 6 players off of our league worst PK. 

Miller doesn't backcheck because he's tired and has to conserve energy. 

JR is going to apologize to Boudreau. 

Our D coach isn't going to be present at the games or practices. 

Tocc likes Vancouver's restaurants in the short term he's going to go to dinners and take small bites.  Thinks very highly of PKane and Towes.

Gonchar is currently at practice 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Only an owner as bad as the Aquilinis would be paying three coaches while only employing one. These mental defectives could just be paying one if they bothered to actually try to get a decent GM who actually knows how to build a team through the draft and trade and sign properly. 

Somewhere, somehow, it's all JT Miller's fault (or Myers)

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Wasn't Torts supposed to be that kind of coach?  His style didn't work out here and it's certainly not working in Philly either.  One wonders if that style of coaching works on today's modern athlete or if another type of method is more effective in motivating these guys?  Do any of the elite teams in the league employ that type of coach who has that philosophy?  I'm not saying it hasn't worked in the past, your example of your own team obviously backed up the method, but in today's NHL is that still applicable? 

I think Torts is on an island all alone when it comes to "type". Yes he is a hard ass, but he is also half nuts. There are some crazy stories about him if you go back to his year here. To me it was a red flag when he wouldn't even move to Canada and decided to live in Point Roberts instead...he literally refused to come to Canada.

Yes Tochett is a hard ass, but he wants to come to Vancouver and try to make a difference. I'm gonna see this out...it's not like whatever we have been trying has been working anyways. Also I want to be clear I am not a fan of how Bruce was treated at all, but this isn't Tochetts issue, that's on management.

Also when Torts come in, we had the Sedins, well seasoned leadership, they both held high standards for the team, no one slacked around the Sedins. It's why we were a winning team so long with them.

Our current team doesn't have that same kind of leadership, as much as I like Bo his captaincy hasn't resulted in much change on the ice. Yes he's having a career year but I don't see him lifting the entire team up, just himself...that's a hard task to do, but great captains can literally lift their entire team on their shoulders and will them to win. Henrik Sedin was amazing at this, so was Trevor Linden.

So Tochett has to be the hard ass and set the standards, as the players have shown they are not ready to do that themselves yet. I think Petey if he stays will have the chops to do so, but let him grow into his game a bit more before slapping the C on his chest.

I'm not ready to walk away from this team yet, not when i've been through the Messier years lol. I still don't think this is as bad as back then. We have some great building blocks here and if we rebuild properly we still have a chance to be a great team in the future.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ethan Bear's dog died; hence, why he missed the game on Saturday and is not at practice today.

RT couldn’t catch the elephant but caught up with the dog? image.jpeg.839b7637606fb15e8f0e1c75f35bba38.jpeg

Edited by chon derry
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s gonna be making 8 mil next season. He needs to be able to drive a line on his own.

Plus Garland has been our hardest working player the last couple games.

I agree. I just hope Tochett is able to make Millsie see that too.

• There it is 1