The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Moving your top player is very significant, but moving your #1 goalie without another option to carry the team is a clear rebuild.  Demko has shown he can carry a team through the playoffs.  No other player on the team can do that.  

The thing about Demko (injuries aside), he's now at an age where we hoped the team would have been entering a peak cycle.  Since we're on a decline, Demko's age does not time well with what will likely be another 4+ years before we're competitive.  So there's no point in keeping him right now if we have a chance to get the return we'd like to see.

Most goaltenders start to decline after 34 so think he would be good to go when the team turns around.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

No, it really isn't. You said yourself, no point in keeping him for a few years if we're not going to be competitive. We'll have a few years to find/acquire/develop etc another goalie to "carry a team" that better fits the timeline.

Make no mistake, this current iteration revolves around Pettersson and to a lesser degree, Hughes.

My point is that there's no point in keeping him as we won't be competitive......so getting rid of him would signal the capitulation is complete.  EP is young enough on the team to be considered part of a rebuild in my books.  Not Demko.  We could draft a top scorer this year to replace EP but we can't draft a goalie and have him ready in 2-3 years.  Big difference.  But we're splitting hairs here. Losing either is a signal which would state the obvious truth to the situation.....they're starting over regardless of what they call it.

16 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

My point is that there's no point in keeping him as we won't be competitive......so getting rid of him would signal the capitulation is complete.  EP is young enough on the team to be considered part of a rebuild in my books.  Not Demko.  We could draft a top scorer this year to replace EP but we can't draft a goalie and have him ready in 2-3 years.  Big difference.  But we're splitting hairs here. Losing either is a signal which would state the obvious truth to the situation.....they're starting over regardless of what they call it.

And I'm saying it's not a rebuild if Pettersson is still here. You're literally retooling around Pettersson. Moving the goalie doesn't equate to "starting over". It means you need a goalie.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

Getting a goalie that better fits Pettersson’s timeline makes sense. Keeping an A1 goalie that keeps us on the bubble the next two years isn’t ideal. Finding a goalie who will be a high-end starter in 2-3 years is a big question mark. 

We could end up with another goaltender of the future Kevin Weekes, or a very late bloomer like Markstrom who needs ahl time. It’s such a hard position to fill. 

No easy answer.  The return won’t be great. Only real reason to trade him is for tanking.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Canucks are lucky to have a number 1 franchise goalie with two affordable and reliable backups on the team and goalie prospects on the way. Let Demko take the year off to get healthy and run with the backups. Having a loosing streak with your backups in net is less of a news story so its a better strategy if we want a high end draft pick.  We should keep our best Goalie for next season. If we trade him we do it when his value his high and we have a back up is better than him. 

He couldnt stop a beach ball, he needs more than that, he needs to figure out whats up and fix it, or he not gonna be any team's franchise goalie

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And I'm saying it's not a rebuild if Pettersson is still here. You're literally retooling around Pettersson. Moving the goalie doesn't equate to "starting over". It means you need a goalie.

If the goalie's gone, the captain's gone, and they're trying to get rid of Brock, Garland and Schenn, it's a rebuild.  Retooling is like tinkering.....not taking out the backbone of the club aside from 2 good players.  The #1 goalie, for the Canucks especially, is part of the top core of the team.  When you say good-bye to that piece without having a legitimate #1 in the wings, that is it for this core and this team for a number of years.  Management can use the word retooling to not get the owner's knackers up to his throat, but when you remove most of the core, that's a rebuild.

• Upvote 1

Of course I don't agree to anything like this and want to keep Demko, but what would a trade look like?

Demko + late pick (to even numbers) for Quick + 1st + RHD prospect (probably Spence or Grans).

Sounds good, we'd get two decent defensive prospects out of it (assuming we take a D man with the pick), but that hole in net is much harder to fill.

19 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Canucks are lucky to have a number 1 franchise goalie with two affordable and reliable backups on the team and goalie prospects on the way. Let Demko take the year off to get healthy and run with the backups. Having a loosing streak with your backups in net is less of a news story so its a better strategy if we want a high end draft pick.  We should keep our best Goalie for next season. If we trade him we do it when his value his high and we have a back up is better than him. 

Two reliable backups?

Goalie prospects on the way?

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Our backups are AHL goalies, and we have one goalie with promise in our system named Silovs who is anything but a lock to make the big club. This team has no replacements for Demko. I'm all for trading him if an amazing package is offered, but by no means is this franchise in good position to replace him anytime soon.

Edited by Harold Drunken

Dem is not gonna be traded this season.

By the time he gets back from injury, it will be too close to the TDL and no one will want to give up futures for a goalie who can’t show that he is:

a) healthy and recovered AND

b) playing at a high level 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Of course I don't agree to anything like this and want to keep Demko, but what would a trade look like?

Demko + late pick (to even numbers) for Quick + 1st + RHD prospect (probably Spence or Grans).

Sounds good, we'd get two decent defensive prospects out of it (assuming we take a D man with the pick), but that hole in net is much harder to fill.

Not necessarily. Theres a bunch of capable goalies hitting free agency this year, and the following. If Demkos hips are going to be an issue, it makes sense to get assets back now and replace him via FA. Tristan Jarry, Varlamov, Andersen, Jones, Hill are all capable of filling the gap while this team takes a step back. That being said, I really don't think Demko in his position now nets much of a return when the goalies I just mentioned are available for free. 

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The return for him will not exceed his value to us, which is why he won’t be traded.

It just wouldn’t make any sense unless you already had a contract agreement with a goalie like Jarry in the offseason.

Exactly why JT was re-signed.  

Jimmy Fallon Happy Dance GIF

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:47 AM, DeNiro said:

The return for him will not exceed his value to us, which is why he won’t be traded.

It just wouldn’t make any sense unless you already had a contract agreement with a goalie like Jarry in the offseason.

Agreed.......unless he really would like out.

• Cheers 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:47 AM, DeNiro said:

Agreed. Past returns goalies are underwhelming. If a team swings big on an offer like LA offering Grans plus a 1st, thats probably where it makes sense to listen.

Most likely, he’ll take some time to return to form, which helps our pursuit of Bedard.

24 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Agreed. Past returns goalies are underwhelming. If a team swings big on an offer like LA offering Grans plus a 1st, thats probably where it makes sense to listen.

Most likely, he’ll take some time to return to form, which helps our pursuit of Bedard.

I would need more than that to hand LA what could be the missing piece for them to win a cup.

If LA is desperate for a goalie you ask for a “Kings” ransom from them or no deal. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would need more than that to hand LA what could be the missing piece for them to win a cup.

If LA is desperate for a goalie you ask for a “Kings” ransom from them or no deal. 

Yep, that’s just where you stay on the phone. Grade A RHD prospect and a 1st, and we need to have a plan for a replacement goalie.

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yep, that’s just where you stay on the phone. Grade A RHD prospect and a 1st, and we need to have a plan for a replacement goalie.

Sure those are good pieces that I’d be interested in, but they can’t let their lack of good D prospects cloud their judgement.

Grans looks like he could be decent but far from a sure thing. I’d be asking for guys like Clarke and Turcotte. Or at the very least add Bjornfort and a goalie prospect like Villalta.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sure those are good pieces that I’d be interested in, but they can’t let their lack of good D prospects cloud their judgement.

Grans looks like he could be decent but far from a sure thing. I’d be asking for guys like Clarke and Turcotte. Or at the very least add Bjornfort and a goalie prospect like Villalta.

For sure, and at that point, it becomes an unprecedented return for a goalie, which is why I don’t see it happening. 

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

For sure, and at that point, it becomes an unprecedented return for a goalie, which is why I don’t see it happening. 

Unprecedented is exactly what they should be aiming for. 

I agree I don’t see it happening but if they’re the ones calling and they have an abundance of prospects then that’s the cost.

No way we can accept watching Demko in our division without receiving pieces that give us a huge boost. Because that’s what they’d be getting with Demko.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

32 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

This organization has shown they have no plan for damn near a decade now. We aren’t gonna win with Demko in the next few years and his value might not get higher, I don’t think him rebounding is a guarantee, those hips are going to be a problem and there’s rumblings (and who can blame him) that he doesn’t want to be here. It shouldn’t take a Kings ransom. Grans and a 1st we should jump on in a second but I don’t know that the Kings would even offer that. Give me Durzi straight up, we need to be looking at players this team can win with and actually have a plan with vision 

• Cheers 1