The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think once the dust has settled, we'll see that both teams 'won' this trade.

I think Bo will be an absolute beast once he's in the playoffs with NYI.  He probably won't be a 40 to 50 goal, 80 to 90 point player like he was here, but he'll be that 60 to 70 1C that NYI needed, while also contributing defensively and winning the important faceoffs for them.  Versatility is the name of the game for Bo.

Canucks have found a perfect compliment for Kuz and Petey on the top unit, and Raty should develop into a core piece moving forward.  The pick that turned into Hronek will be invaluable moving forward as well.

Honestly, win win situation here.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think once the dust has settled, we'll see that both teams 'won' this trade.

I think Bo will be an absolute beast once he's in the playoffs with NYI.  He probably won't be a 40 to 50 goal, 80 to 90 point player like he was here, but he'll be that 60 to 70 1C that NYI needed, while also contributing defensively and winning the important faceoffs for them.  Versatility is the name of the game for Bo.

Canucks have found a perfect compliment for Kuz and Petey on the top unit, and Raty should develop into a core piece moving forward.  The pick that turned into Hronek will be invaluable moving forward as well.

Honestly, win win situation here.

Yup. Got to be cheering for the Islanders now we moved their first to get Hronek. Go Bo Go! Turn that first into something in the 20s. 

On 2/28/2023 at 8:50 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's the route I'd go as well. How good would the Horvat trade look if we could convert Beau into another 1st rd pick?

If they do that I think they will silence a lot of haters, myself included.

I'm still inclined to think they will resign him (much like Benning did with Tanner Pearson).

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Got to be cheering for the Islanders now we moved their first to get Hronek. Go Bo Go! Turn that first into something in the 20s. 

Yup, definitely feels good to cheer for Bo. Just saw him get the assist on the opening goal, in your face gloating Wings fans!

4 hours ago, Canuck You said:
Bo vs Beau Update
Horvat since trade:
15GP, 5G, 4A, 9pts
Verdict: Change of scenery may have hurt him.
Beauvillier since trade:
15GP, 6G, 7A, 13pts

Someone in Sportsnet (or someone they interviewed) actually expected this to happen if Horvat got traded.

Canucks played a structure less system which allowed most of their players to score at will and with individual effort but at the expense of playing a team and defensive game. I mean at that point I am sure Canucks players (and especially Horvat) were just stat padding most of the time. And I don't blame then, the team sucked and they aren't winning so might as well just pad my own stats while we are at it.

• There it is 1

10 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Barzals injured, and another Center I believe. He’s helping them get into the playoffs, and simultaneously making the 1st we traded for Hronek a higher pick.

win/win really

Plus, Horvat doesn't have to be the "leader" in NY - vets already in place to do that. He can just be a strong support piece, which he is...that wasn't going to be the case in Van. Best case scenario for everyone so far.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Someone in Sportsnet (or someone they interviewed) actually expected this to happen if Horvat got traded.

Canucks played a structure less system which allowed most of their players to score at will and with individual effort but at the expense of playing a team and defensive game. I mean at that point I am sure Canucks players (and especially Horvat) were just stat padding most of the time. And I don't blame then, the team sucked and they aren't winning so might as well just pad my own stats while we are at it.

Horvat was the captain though, so if that was his mindset, it was definitely the right move to trade him. They need leaders, including coaches on the bench, who lead by example and play with structure.

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Miller and Petey’s points have increased under Tocchet not decreased.  Under Tocchet, Miller is a PPG player.  He has 17 points in 17 games. Petey has 27 points in 18 games, so he’s averaging 1.5 PPG under Tocchet. 

Seems like Tocchet is able to get them to play in a more structured defensive system while at the same time increasing their scoring as well. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller and Petey’s points have increased under Tocchet not decreased.  Under Tocchet, Miller is a PPG player.  He has 17 points in 17 games. Petey has 27 points in 18 games, so he’s averaging 1.5 PPG under Tocchet. 

Seems like Tocchet is able to get them to play in a more structured defensive system while at the same time increasing their scoring as well. 

I think the biggest improvement under Tocchet has been the way we break out of our zone.  What a difference from before, and it is leading to much more offense.  

A more structured approach to the way we play in our zone doesn't necessarily mean less offense.  In our case right now it is leading to a much better offensive game, as we have the puck far more often than before.

but, with regard to the trade....I think people can start to breath a little.  This is not going to be an unprotected lottery pick next season.  The Isles are most likely going to be in the playoffs, and are looking like the will be heading in hot.  Pick is looking like it's most likely 16-18.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Add to that Beauvillers mix in creating that chemistry,  and points per since with us,  I think the win in this trade is begins by adding Hroncek and Raty to our org.

This was a fantastic move by management !

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

7 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

https://nyihockeynow.com/bo-horvat-new-york-islanders-jean-gabriel-pageau-mathew-barzal-lou-lamoriello/

Their best offensive player went down right after the Bo trade, and Horvat has still nearly single handedly been dragging them up the standings into the playoffs. I feel like this is a perfect example of why stat reading doesn't tell the whole story.

And we are still focused on 1 player Horvat, V’s what came to us in return.

We don’t need to focus on Horvat or the Islanders.

Beauviller Hronek and Raty are the Canucks I’m watching now.

Not Horvat as an Islander or his team.

Too many here hoping to see us fail and start hindsight and more speculation with this move rather than prosper,

Which is what we are doing. Prospering.

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Too many here hoping to see us fail and start hindsight and more speculation with this move rather than prosper,

The post I was responding to was focused on 1 player, so I replied to the subject at hand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Isles fans seem to be pretty happy with the deal despite a dip in production.  Horvat seems to have filled a gap on the Isles roster, and they are playing real well.  This is good news for us as they are lowering our cost to get Hronek.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Isles fans seem to be pretty happy with the deal despite a dip in production.  Horvat seems to have filled a gap on the Isles roster, and they are playing real well.  This is good news for us as they are lowering our cost to get Hronek.

Cheers,  if there’s any hindsight in this trade though,.    The Isles should be looking at Beauviller, and perhaps being under utilized.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

Cheers,  if there’s any hindsight in this trade though,.    The Isles should be looking at Beauviller, and perhaps being under utilized.

Beauvillier has been excellent so far for us.  He is producing in a pretty favorable situation with EP and Kuz.  That isn't to take anything away from him, but I doubt he would be putting up the same production on our 2nd line.  AB will a curious one to watch over the next year...he is a good fit, so for the right price we probably retain him.  Or do we continue to build his value and trade him at the TDL next year, with retention on a 4mil deal you'd probably get a 1st if her is pacing for 60 points.  I don't think we need to spend a ton on that lines wing and have some wingers coming up through the system, so I'm really torn on what we should do.

Either way though, Beauviller has been found  money, as I think we was put in the deal to make the cap work.

• Cheers 4