The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

The most interesting part of this is that it directly goes against the narrative that was created after Rutherford's press conference where he said we'd be targeting players instead of prospects/picks. The fact that they did in fact acquire prospects and picks (Beauvillier is a cap balancer and stop gap with Mikheyev out or even another trade piece) is an indication that what they are trying to do isn't necessarily what they said they were going to try to do. I mentioned it before, but there's no way management would come out and say that they want to rebuild and work with a 5 year plan due to ownership, but they can make moves with that plan in mind. 

Given that management likely isn't done with Boeser rumours swirling, Schenn as an expiring UFA and Garland/OEL talk, we could see this quickly turn into something closer to a rebuild rather than retool, or probably a combination of both. 

• Upvote 3

Well here is to hoping that the Islanders flail this year and we get a really high pick next year!

I am 50/50 on the trade.  I genuinely don’t know a ton about the players we are getting back aside from highlights and scouting reports.  For this kind of return I would have like to see no money coming back at all and just futures.  This locks is into Miller as our 2C.

We do get some more cap space this season out of this as well.  If the brass is on the ball we can take on bad contracts this year for big returns.

If we can add a late 1st or two to eat a few million of bad contracts that expires at the end of this year, that really turns into a win in my books.

On the concerning side, the scouting knock on Raty is that his skating is an issue.  We are a slow team already, and I thought the identity JR talked about was big and fast.  He is not either.  

At this point I need to withhold judgement until we see the whole picture of the offseason.  This season doesn’t matter at all.

What I am looking for is:

- unloading more contracts 

- weaponizing cap space this deadline for extra futures.  With LTIR and Bo we suddenly have a ton of space to play with.

- getting an Erhoff/Marino type deal in the summer by taking advantage of a cap strapped team

- picking up a couple of decent unqualified RFAs looking for opportunity on a bad roster next year to rehab their value.

-  fixing the damn defence 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, TeamTurmoil said:

Decent NHL player with a 4 mill cap hit for 1 more year (about the same point per dollar as Garland) 

Unproven Elite Potential Prospect

Protected 1st round pick for outside of the 12th spot this year (if it goes unprotected next year and they sh*t the bed, this ends up being great). 

The timing seems gross as Bo is getting ready to represent your team at the all star game. 

& if they hang onto Bo and lose him for free as a UFA you people are screaming that this management is terrible. It was quite obvious Horvat was NOT signing with this team. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don’t worry Islanders will fall in the standings, Bo will leave and the Islanders will be gifting us a top 5 pick next year!

That would be sweet. And if we get a top 15 in this years draft that's not bad either. It's a deep draft. 

Edited by WHL rocks

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I am really baffled at why people are mad about the return. I get Raty fell in his draft, but he was slated really high the year prior. He's 6'2, he's a center, he's not afraid to go to the net. He has a wicked shot. The skill and potential are good. This pick will be in the teens, or they may suck and it gets pushed to next year. A strong D draft. And if they suck, Bo may pack up shop in the offseason. Meaning it could very well be a lottery pick next year. It's a good return if the pick is 15-23. It's a great pick if they suck and Bo leaves in the offseason. Lol.

I do like Raty, I'm happy about that, but it's a very very underwhelming return.  At the very least there should have been no protection.

They didn't even wait until teams were tdl desperate 

This f*cking group

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Islanders could trade Bo for a better deal in return since they're out of playoff picture and try to get whatever they lost in return for better value than Isles unless they try to resign Bo Horvat for a huge contract.  That is why they're betting on the Bedard sweepstakes with protected top 12 and getting better next season with a playoff berth on a good summer off-season.  

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So eer where’s the 3 players that they said they wanted. No defenceman or defensive prospect back.. and a protected 1st? Pretty weak

You always have to consider the unknown in these situations. Maybe there just wasn't any better offers from teams interested in Bo.

Maybe there was an offer with a good D, but no pick.

This could be a home run if you compared it to other terrible offers.

Really glad they got what they did for an expiring UFA with only half a stellar year under his belt. Bo is good, but in reality this is a good return.

Beggars can't be choosers!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doxm said:

& if they hang onto Bo and lose him for free as a UFA you people are screaming that this management is terrible. It was quite obvious Horvat was NOT signing with this team. 

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. They were not going to hang onto him. I just feel like they could have announced the trade after the all star weekend so that Bo could represent the Canucks one last time at the All Star game. 

The trade is growing on me. 

• Cheers 1

I don't think I have to say it, but we've just traded the best trading chip we've had in arguably decades for, yet again, two forwards and a pick - no defencemen. This management seem to not care at all about fixing the holes on this D and it is the reason we're bombing out of the playoffs.

Value-wise, we get a mid-round first which is probably the key here (and difference compared to other teams' packages I'm assuming), Raty who's a big, strong but relatively unproven center (0.5 PPG in the AHL as a 20 year old), and a pretty average 25 year old winger in Beauvillier who's on a 4.1M cap hit for two years (must have been almost a cap dump by NYI, masked as a hockey trade).

In my books Allvin got fleeced here, this is basically Raty + 1st + bit of a cap dump (almost like sending something between Garland and Pearson the other way) for a 60 goal scoring top center.

My judgement is made up about this management, they've failed us. They may be able to turn around and flip Boeser or Garland for a defenceman but I just don't see it happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 2