The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And the list of available players will continue to grow the closer you get to the deadline with more teams falling out of the race.

I think they pulled the trigger at the right time. We’ll see what prices do from here on out though.

I think it was Brad Pitt in Moneyball: "When you get the answer you want, hang up the phone"....

The gist being, once PA had the deal he wanted from the Isles, you don't dick around and see if you can do better by shopping the offer....nor do you "wait for after the Allstar game"..... you pull the trigger and get it done.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Not sure if true or not but found it on twitter...

20230202_112048.jpg

Love Bo but man that’s a Ryan Johansen contract waiting to happen. Maybe we dodged a bullet 

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Lack of execution is what JT Miller has been for a while now. The fact that you can't see that and your blind support for JT is very strange. I know there are fans that support all of the players no matter what but I know you aren't one of them because you were throwing Horvat under the bus on many occasions so I really don't get your blind support for JT. 

The two teams that I watched happened to be about par in terms of talent level, well one could argue that Carolina is better but Buffalo features some really exciting young talent. And it was interesting to see that Carolina handedly beat Buffalo. And it basically came down to execution.

The reason why we are losing, it's not all on JT. We suck with or without JT. Goaltending, defence, grit, a lot missing on this team. The only thing we can do well is score goals.

Now, if we are going to make progression to being a cup contender in a few years, we need to get players who can execute plays and making high percentage plays. Assembling talent is not enough is what I learned from watching Carolina play and many other games where a contender beats a young up and coming team. This is a simple generalization that anyone who has watched hockey can make.

Anyone who has watched Pavelski and Miller will tell you that they play a completely different style. Pavelski is actually a great mentor that leads by example. He executes plays. On the contrary, JT is a big bodied player who likes to play finesse game and sulks his way to the bench when he makes a mistake. And when a 4th line gets scored on, he throws an F bomb. When he gets scored on, he stares blankly on to the ice.

Now, you seem to misunderstand me. I think JT can be part of the solution. I think he brings a lot to the table when he plays the game the right way and with right attitude. But he hasn't done so for a while. I'm praying that Tocchet is the coach that can get him back to playing the right way.

Honestly, JT reminds me so much of Todd Bertuzzi. We were never going to win with Bertuzzi and although I hope to be wrong, I'm not sure if we can win with JT.

But I'm willing to wait and see how things go. We are rebuilding anyways so whether we win or lose doesn't matter as much as how we play.

One thing people are blind to in this situation is when they say things like JT makes up for his mistakes/high event plays by scoring points. For a true athlete and hockey player this is not actually correct. When a player scores it's the result of 4 other players on the ice, plus the goalie, plus the coaches, plus the other players, plus practice. It's a team effort and the goal is a result of the team's hard work and not just JT, even though everyone places a lot of attention on goals and assists. However on the other hand when he's out there single handedly losing games that's all on him. It's unacceptable and it's a huge black mark against his play.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

110%.  As much as I like Bo and thought he was an integral part, I always felt he'd sign for exactly that, 7x7.5.  If he really is looking for 8m+ then I'm happy we moved him instead of signing another long term contract.  Hopefully this means a shift in philosophy for our organization, one we've been clamouring for, for ages.

Not having a cap structure and a max you’re willing to pay guys for certain numbers and roles is how you end up with a bunch of terrible contracts that Benning collected.

We can’t go back there.

Even though people are worried about Millers contract it is fair value for what he’s done here even without the 99 point season. He’s averaged a point per game here for 4 and a half seasons. He could have probably gotten 9 mil on the open market.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

That's true. When I look back, I wish Virtanen spent more time in the AHL. He definitely was one of those players that could have overcooked on the farm team. Whether he would make it to the NHL and be productive even after 'overcooking' in the A - we'll never know. He's a journeyman player though (out of the league). 

Virtannen would have done worse in the AHL, and as a matter of fact, gotten into far more trouble because of his personal nature.

The AHL is less stringent on players personal lives,  at least when they arrive to the NHL  , some players do get looked after by Vets even better.

8 minutes ago, jyu said:

Hate to do this but since you are resorting to childish attacks: it’s you’re as in “you are” not your. Thanks. 

That’s a childish attack?

perhaps your a bit childish taking it that way.

I just find what your saying so full of holes it’s un-credible,  and the way you spin and explode 1 player into being the ultimate degenerative plague of a team absolutely laughable. 
.. maybe you do make money at this?

ps.  Nice to know my “pronunciation” and “punctuation” annoys you .

YOUR welcome.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Sure ,  this TEAM is about one guy.

lol.         

No, not at all but what I said is true. It's incredibly hard to win when one player single-handedly undoes in 5 seconds what the whole team spent all game trying to accomplish. If you don't understand that (poorly attempted) unforced mistakes lose games at the highest levels and finals of the Stanley Cup you haven't been paying attention. That's all. Miller definitely needs to work on that if he wants to play on a winner. He was actually half decent down the stretch last year but this year he's reverted right back to the poor decision making he has displayed his whole career.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

No, not at all but what I said is true. It's incredibly hard to win when one player single-handedly undoes in 5 seconds what the whole team spent all game trying to accomplish. If you don't understand that (poorly attempted) unforced mistakes lose games at the highest levels and finals of the Stanley Cup you haven't been paying attention. That's all. Miller definitely needs to work on that if he wants to play on a winner. He was actually half decent down the stretch last year but this year he's reverted right back to the poor decision making he's displayed his whole career.

You’ve seen Hughes play and give away ? Myers ? OEL?

Boeser?  ..  I can go on if you like. 

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Lack of execution is what JT Miller has been for a while now. The fact that you can't see that and your blind support for JT is very strange. I know there are fans that support all of the players no matter what but I know you aren't one of them because you were throwing Horvat under the bus on many occasions so I really don't get your blind support for JT. 

The two teams that I watched happened to be about par in terms of talent level, well one could argue that Carolina is better but Buffalo features some really exciting young talent. And it was interesting to see that Carolina handedly beat Buffalo. And it basically came down to execution.

The reason why we are losing, it's not all on JT. We suck with or without JT. Goaltending, defence, grit, a lot missing on this team. The only thing we can do well is score goals.

Now, if we are going to make progression to being a cup contender in a few years, we need to get players who can execute plays and making high percentage plays. Assembling talent is not enough is what I learned from watching Carolina play and many other games where a contender beats a young up and coming team. This is a simple generalization that anyone who has watched hockey can make.

Anyone who has watched Pavelski and Miller will tell you that they play a completely different style. Pavelski is actually a great mentor that leads by example. He executes plays. On the contrary, JT is a big bodied player who likes to play finesse game and sulks his way to the bench when he makes a mistake. And when a 4th line gets scored on, he throws an F bomb. When he gets scored on, he stares blankly on to the ice.

Now, you seem to misunderstand me. I think JT can be part of the solution. I think he brings a lot to the table when he plays the game the right way and with right attitude. But he hasn't done so for a while. I'm praying that Tocchet is the coach that can get him back to playing the right way.

Honestly, JT reminds me so much of Todd Bertuzzi. We were never going to win with Bertuzzi and although I hope to be wrong, I'm not sure if we can win with JT.

But I'm willing to wait and see how things go. We are rebuilding anyways so whether we win or lose doesn't matter as much as how we play.

The reality is, Miller may not be the answer, but a portion of the fanbase is simply over with the nonchalant country club atmosphere in this team that Naslund, the Sedins, and Bo Horvat represent. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1

It'll be interesting to see what Horvat ends up signing for 

Maybe it's the 8-9M folks have been fretting about, maybe it ends up being more 7-7.75M which would probably be a fair range 

Anyone fussing over an extra 250k is nitpicking 

Seems like it's a given he's going for a homerun but it'll be interesting to see what folks have to say if his deal ends up looking like a reasonable one for both sides, or one that folks here would have been alright signing him to 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One thing people are blind to in this situation is when they say things like JT makes up for his mistakes/high event plays by scoring points. For a true athlete and hockey player this is not actually correct. When a player scores it's the result of 4 other players on the ice, plus the goalie, plus the coaches, plus the other players, plus practice. It's a team effort and the goal is a result of the team's hard work and not just JT, even though everyone places a lot of attention on goals and assists. However on the other hand when he's out there single handedly losing games that's all on him. It's unacceptable and it's a huge black mark against his play.

You know what's crazy? Between JT and Bo, we traded the player that gave up the most ES Goals Against. I couldn't believe it when I read that. Truth is, Miller has been awful on the eye test this year, but objectively speaking, he's been fine. He needs to play better if we want to accomplish anything though, but that goes for absolutely every single person in that locker room (only exception is Pettersson, he's been terrific all season long in all 3 zones). 

I've witnessed in our latest losing streak that 3 GA's that changed the game were a direct result of Dakota Joshua giving up on the play. Nobody seems to care, and some of those games were still pinned on JT.

Point is, it's a team game. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Upvote 1

I think for once the management team walked the walk instead of talked the talk and players will notice that they will make changes. This should help players take more accountability rather than look to the next game. No way Boeser, Garland, Miller, Myers don’t try and perform better if they want to be here, the whole culture just changed in one move. 

Horvat hasn’t signed anything yet and he is looking to get paid, you need to find a dance partner in order to cash in, we did and it’s done. Imaging Horvat got hurt or we sat him out instead? 

Get your return and rip the bandaid off.

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No, not at all but what I said is true. It's incredibly hard to win when one player single-handedly undoes in 5 seconds what the whole team spent all game trying to accomplish. If you don't understand that (poorly attempted) unforced mistakes lose games at the highest levels and finals of the Stanley Cup you haven't been paying attention. That's all. Miller definitely needs to work on that if he wants to play on a winner. He was actually half decent down the stretch last year but this year he's reverted right back to the poor decision making he has displayed his whole career.

Well his whole career is about 1.0 ppg ,.  

The bigger part of the TEAM is “sophomore”, and has more things to work on.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Of course there were other teams interested in Bo.  But the Islanders’ offer was too good to pass up.  Raty is going to be Bo, but better defensively.  And that first is going to be a top 5 pick in 2024.  

lol that's a bold homer statement to say raty is going to be bo but better defensively.. bo already a perennial 20 goal scorer by the age of 21 and a faceoff machine at 1500+ fo per season... he have a long way to go before he'll be a perennial 20 goal scorer let alone hit 30-40 in a season nor being one of the top faceoff guy in the leagueall new york have to do is sneak into the playoff and that draft pick is no better than any other contenders.

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

But what would you have to cry about? 

Raty will be better than Bo inside or at 3 years in the NHL ,  his curve up will be stronger , he will also turn out to be our best Center ( positional/ F0 %)

Beauville is looking for more ice time, wants it, it’s the only reason he has regressed.

He will be flying out there,  I actually think he is a better skater than Ilya Mihkey ( healthy ;)

I do think we’re going to package that draft pick for a proven D man ( if it’s this years pick).

If it rolls over,  I think we’ll keep it..  I only see the Isles getting worse now.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, this 100% correct. At the highest levels when you have ultra skill and ultra competition what wins and loses and makes champions is who makes the least mistakes. It's attention to detail and game management. Making those bonehead plays is a killer to any hockey team. Scoring 5 goals can be completely negated by one of these team killing plays. The detriment is exponential compared to putting in a bunch points outside of that.

You'll never win with a guy like JT if a game is tied or close and he decides to make some hotdog play like deking at the blueline without support or some wild behind the back or through the legs play that leads to a breakaway or odd man rush. This type of player diminishes the rest of his team and shows distrust and lack of respect that he and his teammates can get the job done. Pavelski is such a better player this is comical. Giroux is out of both their league's by a fair margin.

BtW,   You’ll never win with a guy like Bo , unless he’s complimenting the right powerhouse team.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s a childish attack?

perhaps your a bit childish taking it that way.

I just find what your saying so full of holes it’s un-credible,  and the way you spin and explode 1 player into being the ultimate degenerative plague of a team absolutely laughable. 
.. maybe you do make money at this?

ps.  Nice to know my “pronunciation” and “punctuation” annoys you .

YOUR welcome.

You are welcome. I’m an educator so I’m  not giving up on you. It’s you are not your. 

btw, what goes through your mind when JT turns over the puck on PP and they get scored on?

”There’s my JT! Way to turn that puck over JT!  Atta boy! Keep trying that!”

The team puts work in shift by shift, gets a powerplay opportunity and JT loses the puck and we get scored on. How many times have we seen that movie?

• Cheers 1