The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

He could be moved even after being signed, letting him walk for nothing is beyond stupid. 

What we received for Horvat is a solid return compared to what Calgary got for Gaudreau, and NYI for Tavares. 

We done good.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It was unfortunate he was selected as captain at such a critical time.  They should have found a veteran who could take on the role for a few years first (and rebuilt, not retool).

Bo would be a good captain on a good team, but he wasn't a great captain on a bad team.  Perhaps the team was worse because of it to be honest.  There's a time and place to be angry and emotional towards the team and the situation they were constantly in.  We saw that with Henrik. He had no problem showing it when he was upset at himself and his team.....he just made sure he lumped himself in there with the blame.  Bo was too even-keel too often, and guess what....the rest of the team becomes that too.

So he wasn't a lame duck, but no, he wasn't a good transitional captain for a rebuilding team.

I gave you a pint o beer emoji because I agree with the just of your comment. But IF we would have done the right thing and began a rebuild back then, it really wouldn't matter all that much who was captain. Someone mentioned Shane Doan who Benning was courting at the time. He would have worked in that role even better as a father figure to all the new draft picks, and extra picks and prospects that Benning had gotten for us in that alternative universe. Of course even the alternative universe Benning would probably have given Doan some ridiculously long, expensive, OEL type anchor contract and self-sabotaged the rebuild anyways.

But Horvat would have shone more here if JB had done the right thing and began a rebuild just as Bo was being named captain.  Because instead of captaining a declining and disappointing team over his tenure, full of disgruntled veterans older than him, he would have presided over one that might have been a laughing stock for his first years, but slowly gotten stronger as our prospect pool grew and improved.  Bo would have been the steady as she goes, calm, perfect "older brother" captain for a team of rookies learning to play right.

Anyways.  just an unfortunate mistake or misspoke. I think it was somewhere in between. He wasn't meaning to diss the city or fans, it was mostly about hearing the excited playoff bound Long Island fans, but he may have felt a little hurt there wasn't enough vocal fan outrage here over trades talks surrounding him. Or that Miller was signed first. (And a-hole fans like me actually praising that move).  Either way it was just dumb, which also raises flags about how smart he is to even say that out loud. But he's also built enough credit for me to forgive him and move on. I won't be booing him when he returns. He knows  he made a mistake. I also think he will clarify his statement at least once more, with more context, before the night he returns. Honestly though, I'd care a lot more about this issue if was from a player I admired more. He just never had any big moments here for me to lament about him leaving. I wish him well.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, .Naslund said:

You’re just arguing with me for the sake of arguing with me now. Go show me an example of the last time an NHL player was signed and traded. This isn’t the NBA.

We should resign all of our players by your logic then.  Good thing we resigned Brock Boeser right? How’s it been signing and trading Boeser? Don’t ignore this part of this message. You like to selectively respond. Comment on the Brock Boeser tidbit specifically. 

Not selective at all, Boeser will be easier to move this year with less term attached. I don't even think he has to be moved could be him or Garland. He was difficult to move this season because so many teams that could use a player like him are up against the cap. 

Cap going up this and next season make moving him a bit easier going forward if needed. I’ve also never been on the Brock must go train either. If he does fine if he stays also fine. 

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I came across this clip,.    Have to admit,  what ever is ailing OEL ,   I’d be happy to see him back at full strength..   he has had a lot on his shoulders within our D core..

here sticking up for Podz, in his rookie year ,  as Bo does the “fly by” and stand down.

I remember that and thinking the same thing. OEL has actually stuck up for team mates on several occasions. 

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I came across this clip,.    Have to admit,  what ever is ailing OEL ,   I’d be happy to see him back at full strength..   he has had a lot on his shoulders within our D core..

here sticking up for Podz, in his rookie year ,  as Bo does the “fly by” and stand down.

I don't know what's worse, that or Sergachev sucker punching his much smaller teammate right in front of him and just watching it happen. 

He may have worn the C but he wasn't the captain of that room. remember that Seattle game where we we're on a 7 game losing streak and we're facing a rival, Larsson hit one of our guys and guess who went straight after him... Pearson. Then Miller went after the Krakens 2nd toughest guy and fought Soucy and it rallied the troops to end our long losing streak. Horvat wasn't going to start shit to get the boys going until he saw Pearson and Miller fight. That was the type of 'captain' he was. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Bo and Garland turned back when they seen Burroughs and OEL were ready for war. Lol. "Oh sh*t, I better pretend I care too." I love OEL, and you know what. Burroughs has made me a believer. Deserves to be a 6/7 on this team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1