The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can't just sweep Miller's flaws under the rug, he's been good to great since the new year. But he did have some warts in his game early in the year.

Miller is a legit 1st line forward (all the more valuable in that he can play all forward positions).  That doesn't mean he's a good Captain (imho) but that's not a mark against him.  Some guys are meant to be number two but still a VERY good number two (think Commander Riker).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can't just sweep Miller's flaws under the rug, he's been good to great since the new year. But he did have some warts in his game early in the year.

I can live with a few warts as long as the end goal is met.  If the warts turn into a full-blown herpes outbreak, then there may be a problem...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can live with a few warts as long as the end goal is met.  If the warts turn into a full-blown herpes outbreak, then there may be a problem...

I agree but early season Miller wasn't it. January on Miller is what we need especially at his salary.

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nah, there is appropriate medical procedures one can take for that.

Or so I'm told.:ph34r:

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The bulk of the Captains role is both media availability, and being able to approach officials to discuss key in game matters. This is why I find it funny when guys like you expect a captain to singlehandedly lift a team to success, 

Success comes from a group of leaders, not a letter on a jersey. I've said many times here fans greatly overrate the value of a letter. The letter is virtually meaningless without a solid group of core leaders. Guys like Glenn Anderson, Paul Coffey, Marty McSorley, Grant Fuhr ect had as much to do with the succes of the Oilers Dynasty as Gretzky and Messier as far as leadership goes. 

I didn’t say they did, but they certainly have more accountability than you, or the other Bo fanboys would suggest.

Bo wasn’t a great Captain. 

Could contain: Glove, People, Person, Baseball Glove, Adult, Male, Man, Head, Face, Portrait

• Like 1
  • Wat 2

18 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I agree but early season Miller wasn't it. January on Miller is what we need especially at his salary.

Definitely. When Miller is on he is one of the most complete players in the league (probably top 10) and a massive driving force. But, when he's off, he can almost singlehandedly sink a team through his antics. Hopefully Tocchet has figured out how to manage Miller because the version to end the year will be a steal at 8M if he keeps it up.

• Cheers 4

58 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't recall Schenn getting into a pretty big "verbal discussion" with Horvat over a certain kind of behavior on the ice (aka "little things") like he did with Miller.:ph34r:

Maybe Horvat should have been more”engaged” and shown as much emotion as either or both of those players..

Horvat is / was a ghost of a Captain.

Great for charity functions, and posters.

Handsome.   But,. A dud.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

46 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Wow, Miller is historically a 1. Ppg player here for 5 seasons and because he dosent wear the lipstick Horvat dose he is a lesser player to you.

Its Hockey.  I see more emotion in Professional Bowlers than Horvat.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Wow, Miller is historically a 1. Ppg player here for 5 seasons and because he dosent wear the lipstick Horvat dose he is a lesser player to you.

Peter Weber GIFs | Tenor

I think this guy did a little too much pre-frame coke, though.:lol:

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Maybe Horvat should have been more”engaged” and shown as much emotion as either or both of those players..

Horvat is / was a ghost of a Captain.

Great for charity functions, and posters.

Handsome.   But,. A dud.

Meh, Bo's a 6 at best. Demko, Boeser and Miller clear him by a mile. Don't get me started on Kuzy the charmer too. :wub:

Wait, what were we talking about?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Did I say he was a lesser player or are you just making shit up? I'll give you a hint, it's the latter.

44 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I didn’t say they did, but they certainly have more accountability than you, or the other Bo fanboys would suggest.

Bo wasn’t a great Captain. 

Could contain: Glove, People, Person, Baseball Glove, Adult, Male, Man, Head, Face, Portrait

Again, the bulk of the captains job is talking to officials, media and ceremonial appearances. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp. 

The accountability and success comes from the leadership group, and coaches. Letter or not. Again this shouldn't be that hard to grasp.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

35 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

We certainly didn’t see emotion from the Sedins but they were valuable. We don’t need drama from a captain, just leadership.

57 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

35 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Definitely. When Miller is on he is one of the most complete players in the league (probably top 10) and a massive driving force. But, when he's off, he can almost singlehandedly sink a team through his antics. Hopefully Tocchet has figured out how to manage Miller because the version to end the year will be a steal at 8M if he keeps it up.

Well lucky for us, his upswing started after the coaching staff changed and he's looked great since. Kudos to JTM for seeking help and asking RT to help him improve. Good news is coaching staff is not changing and Miller has set a new standard on how he should be playing on both ends of the ice. 

• Cheers 4

35 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again, the bulk of the captains job is talking to officials, media and ceremonial appearances. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp. 

The accountability and success comes from the leadership group, and coaches. Letter or not. Again this shouldn't be that hard to grasp.

Whatever it takes to make you feel good about wearing his jersey again, I guess.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Whatever it takes to make you feel good about wearing his jersey again, I guess.

Denial isn't just a river in Africa I see, you asked what a captain does it was explained to you. Accountability comes from self, coach and GM, not just a letter on a sweater. Not my fault you can't accept what's been explained to you.

But fill your boots blaming Bo for everything under the sun and putting too much value on a piece of fabric :lol:

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

14 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Big difference between Bo and Petey. Bo is an above average player while Petey is a superstar. Petey can make anyone look good (like the new Bo) or make any opponent look bad.

That is the point, the team couldn't afford to pay a neutral player like Bo (above average in some elements and below average in other elements) $8.5M. the team needed to allocate funds to the D, not sign a good support player (average to below average Captain) to a huge deal.

• Like 1