The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nikita Tryamkin eyeing NHL return

26 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Lol.  I can’t believe we’re still talking about this player

When you defence is as bad as ours… any grasping at straws is entirely understandable.

We are even over the moon spending dozens of pages hoping to trade for average players like Severson, Lundqvist, Carlo, and Marino.

With Horvat, this team was two top 4D away from being a playoff team.  Maybe we still would be even without him.

Edited by Provost

21 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Lol.  I can’t believe we’re still talking about this player

Talking about him says more about the desperation in fans than anything else. He basically played 1 season here and now is 29. On the one hand fans want to trade most of the roster and get younger but a big guy like Try comes along and all that disappears. Do you sign him and give him TOI versus continuing the development of prospects that will inevitably come from future trades and from Abby? They might not be as developed as Try but they cannot get there without getting the ice that he would take. All of us are talking off the top of our heads because we don't know how good he is? Mik and Kuz might have a good idea.  

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I’m confused by this.  We aren’t drafting Tryamkin, we could just sign him. Free asset and exactly the type of D we need.  Definitely risk in drafting Russian players (Always has been because of the KHL situation and now the political situation) but if Tryamkin’s here the risk is low.

My original thought was about the number of Russian players who could dress for Canucks. Koz, Mik, Podz + ? What happens if Putin calls all Russians home? What happens if the USA won't issue work visas that allow players to cross the border for games? What happens if Canada cancels their visas? 

This might sound extreme but the Russians have killed over 100,000 Ukrainians. When does the scale of this conflict truly register with Canadians? 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My original thought was about the number of Russian players who could dress for Canucks. Koz, Mik, Podz + ? What happens if Putin calls all Russians home? What happens if the USA won't issue work visas that allow players to cross the border for games? What happens if Canada cancels their visas? 

This might sound extreme but the Russians have killed over 100,000 Ukrainians. When does the scale of this conflict truly register with Canadians? 

So you don’t sign players because of remote “what it” situations?  There is zero sign that every day Russians are being sanctioned or targeted by western governments.

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It’s been absolutely horrible what has been happening at the hands of the Russian government however these guys and maybe Tryamkin are in North America for a reason.  I think the risk of that is low.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

So you don’t sign players because of remote “what it” situations?  There is zero sign that every day Russians are being sanctioned or targeted by western governments.

I don't know about that. Finland stopped Russians crossing their border. I believe Lithuania has as well. Not sure about Poland. Russian athletes have been banned from many international sports. Can't see why you would say zero? The Canucks now have 3 Russian roster players signed if you include Podz. My point is how exposed to you want to make the org in the event that things get much worse. I am not saying what the answer should be but it should be a concern. 

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't know about that. Finland stopped Russians crossing their border. I believe Lithuania has as well. Not sure about Poland. Russian athletes have been banned from many international sports. Can't see why you would say zero? The Canucks now have 3 Russian roster players signed if you include Podz. My point is how exposed to you want to make the org in the event that things get much worse. I am not saying what the answer should be but it should be a concern. 

Exposed to what? If they are called back to Russia and they leave. Well, bye. They aren't exactly franchise altering players. Are they gonna cyberattack the Canucks or become a beach head for a Russian assault? Lol. What are you worried about exactly? We aren't giving them the keys to the city. We are letting them slap a frozen rubber donut around the ice.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

This player just can't figure out what he wants to do.

I don't think he ever really had the drive/desire to be an NHL player. Or learn to speak English, or embrace any NA culture. Not all Russians are like Pod,Kuz or Goldoblin.

I think the current state of Russia has forced him to re-think what he passed over. I'm sure it's not lost on him that his country is becoming a pariah state.

Too late though, IMO.On an NHL comeback ,I think he'd get lit up.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Exposed to what? If they are called back to Russia and they leave. Well, bye. They aren't exactly franchise altering players. Are they gonna cyberattack the Canucks or become a beach head for a Russian assault? Lol. What are you worried about exactly? We aren't giving them the keys to the city. We are letting them slap a frozen rubber donut around the ice.

Do you buy insurance because you know you're going to have a claim, or do you buy insurance because you "might" have a claim? It's about Risk. That's what management does. They examine risk to see if its worth it or not. If we're talking 1 year show me deal, no issue. I'm more curious where he will wind up. Because I really don't think it's back here in Vancouver. But who knows?

23 hours ago, Provost said:

The KHL isn’t the same league as the NHL, it is more comparable to the AHL.

Using a 50+ year old reference doesn’t help your cause even remotely… it is frankly a remarkably stupid comparison to make.  Even back in the old days, many Russian guys couldn’t make it in North America, and those were the very top players in the country… Tryamkin isn’t even that.

In the "old days" Russian players didn't play in the NHL.   Wasn't until the wall came down they started coming here.   And Makarov and Larionov were incredible.   Despite being long in the tooth and past their glory days.    Bure, Mogilny and Federov were their next best products.   You can bet a lot of those players from the 70's would have made the NHL if they managed to bolt.   The "very top" players in Russia became stars here once they came - a lot of the ones that couldn't  are still in the HHOF.   Stastny's were the first defectors from the soviet bloc.  Peter Statsny with Hawerchuk would have been the superstars of the 80's if it wasn't for Gretzky.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

No it won’t happen.  I don’t think we even need to retain on Myers.  After his bonus is paid he will only cost $1 million in real dollars.

A team with an internal budget like Arizona would likely love to have a player that calibre for almost league minimum.  They don’t care about the cap.  Myers isn’t a bad player, just need to not put him in a position to fail like the Canucks have.  His entire career he has shown there is just a level he can’t handle.  Putting out him and OEL as big minute munching shut down guys is just asking for them to fall apart.

It wouldn’t be a contending type defence… but at least get us to around average which is a big step up from “complete tire fire” range we are in now.

ARI would still charge us for this - if they didn't they'd be silly.   A lot of teams are bumping up against the cap, and this isn't a Marleau type environment that pre-covid cost a first rounder.     ARI will weaponize their cap space.   The only way we are trading Myers is with retention to a team that actually wants him.     Then maybe we gain something in return.  

Edited by IBatch
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

ARI would still charge us for this - if they didn't they'd be silly.   A lot of teams are bumping up against the cap, and this isn't a Marleau type environment that pre-covid cost a first rounder.     ARI will weaponize their cap space.   3 second rounders - one for every two million.   The only way we are trading Myers is with retention to a team that actually wants him.     Then maybe we gain something in return.  

I think a Myers trade happens early-mid season next year.  Once some contenders gain some LTIR relief (from whoever) then we'll move him (with salary retained) for a fairly decent return.

A team that has designs on a deep playoff run will want him. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Bringing Try back doesn't make much sense. Canucks are already heavy with Russians. If they ever get kicked out of North America we would be hooped. Draft Finns instead. Actually why don't we draft heavy in Western Canada. The were good enough to win the WJC. 

We don't have anyone as heavy. 

10 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I think a Myers trade happens early-mid season next year.  Once some contenders gain some LTIR relief (from whoever) then we'll move him (with salary retained) for a fairly decent return.

A team that has designs on a deep playoff run will want him. 

Same.   Myers and Pearson both likely get traded at some point next season with variable retention.    Pretty sure we are looking at next season as a recovery one from "major surgery".    Unless by some miracle we draft Bedard and he can actually make the jump.  

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Showtime Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

There are a lot of divisions in Russia,  the area that NT is from is even wants to separate themselves  from RuZ.

We both realize the the Dictatorship,  and threat to anyone speaking out against Putin.… they disappear.

I’m not making up excuses here,  but this is a far deeper conversation that what needs to be discussed about having a Russian player or players on a team.

So we start to get journalists to question Russian athletes playing abroad in their respective careers,   And they answer they have no respect for Putin..    

Then their families disappear, or “fall from windows” back in Russia .

What is happening now , and the deaths occurring between RuZ and UKraine ,  are enough don’t you think?

The western assistance could be better for UKraine,  but it’s all a fine balance

I wouldn’t ask Kuzmenko that ,  for fear he answers honestly,  and then has family die over his honest answer.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Talking about him says more about the desperation in fans than anything else. He basically played 1 season here and now is 29. On the one hand fans want to trade most of the roster and get younger but a big guy like Try comes along and all that disappears. Do you sign him and give him TOI versus continuing the development of prospects that will inevitably come from future trades and from Abby? They might not be as developed as Try but they cannot get there without getting the ice that he would take. All of us are talking off the top of our heads because we don't know how good he is? Mik and Kuz might have a good idea.  

Please enlighten us about which defence prospects are NHL ready in the next couple years that signing Tryamkin or any other veteran player would block in terms of development….

We will wait.

Literally no one is suggesting signing him to a long term deal.

We are going to have to sign D free agents to just ice a roster next year, especially if we are lucky enough to move Myers after his bonus is paid.  We generally need 10-13 D each season capable of playing NHL minutes due to injuries.  We have no depth on the farm even ready for spot injury duty, never mind a full time roster spot.