The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Feb. 23, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am sure you also liked what you saw at the end of last year too. Look what happened.

Oh you mean when we had Demko? Yeah that was pretty good too, but this is pretty much the WHOLE TEAM playing well and playing a better well rounded game. Its a little different. 

Just now, EdgarM said:

Oh you mean when we had Demko? Yeah that was pretty good too, but this is pretty much the WHOLE TEAM playing well and playing a better well rounded game. Its a little different. 

Well its St. Louis. You think it will be the same result against, Toronto, Boston etc? You really can't put too much stock into these comebacks and wins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well its St. Louis. You think it will be the same result against, Toronto, Boston etc? You really can't put too much stock into these comebacks and wins.

Yea that’s where we need to take a step back and say are we really there yet?

Lets see this effort against a top team and not one that is clearly deflated after losing two of their best players.

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, I don't think that matters when you're piling them up at the kind of rate McDavid is.

If totals are updated McDavid's up to 105 points in 58 games, if they aren't he's up to 109 points in 59 games.

Absurd.  

Still doesn't matter until he gets the ultimate prize, thats what will put him with the elite. 

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nahhh, I didn't get a chance to see any of that. I could go back and watch tape of players from the 70's, 80's, and 90's if I really felt like it but it wouldn't be the same. Different eras and different games. I've only been watching since the 2000's on, and only the mid 2000's with any real commitment. 

McDavid isn't Gretzky, that'll never be seen again. He is however, likely the closest thing to him in the current game, with speed to boot. Outside of Crosby I've never watched a talent like McDavid's, and him and Crosby aren't similar players. 

Wow, you even missed the Sakic and Foppa years. Those were awesome. Foppa is probably my second favourite player of all time.  Those Colorado and Detroit games were epic.  

I guess you missed the 1994 Cup final as well. Oh boy, what a ride that was.  I remember there were some dudes who actually drove a car dressed up in all Canucks colours all the way to New York.  It was batsh*t crazy.  This city was absolute bonkers for two months. It was incredible. Better than 2011 IMO.  I’ll never forget that year. The summer sucked though as everyone was depressed. I’m just waiting for Petey to lead us to another wild ride.  I really hope it happens. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

True but those teams also pull out wins down the stretch because teams take them lightly and they have a bunch of young guys and AHLers playing hard to prove themselves.

I still think how we manage our goaltending down the stretch will determine everything.

Yup, Martin up for Silovs and Demko needs to play very few too unless he plays like he did in the first few months.

There was a stat that the canucks had the biggest 5 on 5 save percentage drop from last year to this year in the league. Definitely backs up the importance of keeping up the tank goalies.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
h
  • Tanks a lot 1

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nahhh, I didn't get a chance to see any of that. I could go back and watch tape of players from the 70's, 80's, and 90's if I really felt like it but it wouldn't be the same. Different eras and different games. I've only been watching since the 2000's on, and only the mid 2000's with any real commitment. 

McDavid isn't Gretzky, that'll never be seen again. He is however, likely the closest thing to him in the current game, with speed to boot. Outside of Crosby I've never watched a talent like McDavid's, and him and Crosby aren't similar players. 

You should really watch tape on players like Bure and Lemieux and Gretzky. They dominated play like McDavid does and then some. It doesn't matter which era it is, pure talent is pure talent. 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Here's hoping, but if we continue to get Kuzmenko playing spoiler and Pettersson's carrying the team offensively we're going to play ourselves into no man's land.. 

If we were meant to win the lottery, we will win it with either the 2nd pick or the 8th pick.  I truly believe that. Not every last place team has won the lottery. I think the Rangers won it finishing 5th last. There is still hope. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You should really watch tape on players like Bure and Lemieux and Gretzky. They dominated play like McDavid does and then some. It doesn't matter which era it is, pure talent is pure talent. 

Gretzky got at least 5 points in 96 games of his career. That’s like over one full season. McDavid has done it like 7 times. Think about that. The Gretzky era was batsh*t crazy…