The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Feb. 23, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

You guys have to get off the Bedard wagon........

He is going to Arizona, and Michkov is going to Chicago

If anyone wants to bet against that.......I will take your money!

I'll feel sorry for him if he goes to Arizona, I'd rather see him go to a team who just misses the playoffs 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It may be that Pettersson will never win the Hart or Art Ross trophies while Connor McDavid is in the league, but I think he has a really good chance of winning the Selke... maybe even regularly.

He is improving day by bay defensively, both on the PK and and at even strength, tonight was a good example.

He intercepted a pass on the PK, which led to the beginning of the comeback... and then saved a goal when the Canuck net was empty, a goal which would have sealed it for St. Louis.

Right now he is easily the team MVP... Demko hasn't been the factor he was last year and JT Miller has come back to earth after his career 2021/2022 season.

I wonder if he will make the Selke short list... will be interesting to see.

......and yet many are not seeing this is the guy you build a team around. We have some good pieces we should be concentrating on the pieces we still need to add. How about a partner for Hughes? 

Find this player and we are one step closer to the ultimate goal.

• Cheers 1

Personally I would be over the moon if we got lucky enough to draft Fantilli.

He may not be a Bedard, but he is a complete player who can score, backchecks ferociously and is physical.

He reminds me of a young Jonathan Toews.

I would not want Michkov, we have enough smurfs.

With the second first rounder, we need to focus on the D.

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Personally I would be over the moon if we got lucky enough to draft Fantilli.

He may not be a Bedard, but he is a complete player who can score, backchecks ferociously and is physical.

He reminds me of a young Jonathan Toews.

I would not want Michkov, we have enough smurfs.

With the second first rounder, we need to focus on the D.

Not that I wouldn't want fantilli, but michkov is another level.

• Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Man you really are a shiny ray of sunshine aren't you?

Petey is not just playing for his next paycheque, that's how he is built.  He plays a complete game, works harder than anyone I know to get better day in and day out and save for his injuries a year ago, he has been our best player for the last few years.  For you to diss him like that, tsk tsk.  

You know who was playing for his next paycheque don't you?

and the top 3 pick analysis doesn't make sense because every draft is different.  Finishing as the worst team in the league does not guarantee you the first pick as more often than not, the lottery system will drop you down.  Even winning a 1-3 pick does not guarantee you get the best player either.  FYI in 2017 we finished second from last, 3 teams won the lottery and dropped us down to 5th where we picked Petey who is no doubt the best player out of that draft.  Same goes for 2018, we finished 5th worst and instead of winning the lottery, dropped 2 places to 7th where we picked Quinn who was one of the best picks in that draft.  

Excellent post 

50 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Are we really there yet? You really think that people are thinking that? Maybe if we didn't have so many injuries, we had an NHL goalie and had a couple of NHL defenseman. We are playing mostly AHL players and they held there own. 

What's really is impressive is that we have character players not willing to use excuses for not performing. Not using the refs as an excuse. Playing 60 minutes and sticking up for each other and for themselves. Playing as a team.

We won't be beating any of the good teams for awhile but its nice to see the culture changing and moving in the right direction.

Many are drooling at the draft but we really have something right here staring us right in our face. 

Bedard is a bit of a dream ,I think, but getting a legit partner for Hughes seems a bit more realistic IMHO.

That was my big takeaway from the last couple of games too.  We've had so many calls and rulings go against us, but our young players didn't give up: Petey, Kuzmenko, Garland...  and JT Miller's playing at a top line level.  

I'm upset about getting two points in the standings, but couldn't be happier with the team for how they played tonight. Damn exciting game too, you can tell that all the players enjoyed the win. 

I really hope that Canucks prove me wrong and finish in the bottom 5, we're just gonna have to lean into it more as a certain someone says @Jester13 ;)