The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sharks trade Timo Meier, Scott Harrington, Timur Ibragimov, Santeri Hatakka, Zach Emond, 2024 5th-RD to Devils for Fabian Zetterlund, Andreas Johnsson, Nikita Okhotiuk, Shakir Mukhamadullin, 2023 1st-RD, conditional 2024 1st-RD, 2024 7th-RD

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I honestly don’t think you’re getting much of a better deal for a pending UFA.  Meier, who I think is a better player, is a RFA, so at minimum NJD is guaranteed to retain his rights.

Why do you think Meier is a better player?  His numbers really aren't better than Bo's and he's a winger

Just now, stawns said:

Because he's  a good player who will almost certainly outplay his contract, he's 22 and it's a very buyout friendly deal if you can't move it.

I know I’ve given you a ton of grief over Kotkaniemi, but I’m sincerely asking what, in your opinion, has qualified him as a good player?  He plays just under 15 mins a game, has never reached .5ppg even though he plays on a team filled with talent, doesn’t kill penalties, etc.  I’m genuinely asking and not being facetious.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As I was mentioning earlier.

NJ has no forwards signed after next season ish.  Palat, Hischier and Hughes are eating $21.25 million.  They have 7 RFA forwards and 3 UFAs

NJ has Hamilton Marino and Seigenthaler locked up for 5 years or longer with a combined cap hit of $16.8 million.  No other players signed after next season on the blue line and Bahl as their only RFA.

They currently have zero cap space available and a total of 4 blue line players to sign, 7 forward RFAs needing raises based off this year's production

Whatever they are paying for Meier it will be significant.  But he will not be had for less than $8 million long term.

The NJD have Holtz, Nemec and Foote as their best prospects.  Bratt and Mercer as their best trade options.

It's gonna be really REALLY interesting to see how they manage the cap over the next three years.  In three years time they have some cap space coming off the books in Schneider, Kovalchuk and Kuokkonen.

But with zero cap space now.  Everyone needing raises and now Meier it's gonna be interesting 

Their young Ds are marinating in the AHL - Nemec didn't burn a year.  So he still has 4 years of his ELC left.  Luke Hughes hasn't even signed his.  Severson and maybe even Graves are likely to be replaced by players on ELCs.  That's going to give them cap flexibility.  

Don't see anyone in their bottom-6 really getting a major raise.  It's really just Meier and Bratt this year and then Mercer next year.  

Just now, Heretic said:

TSN / Rogers Media must be really pissed off.  This will be the most boring trade deadline day ever!

I was thinking the same thing. They’re going to have to make it “Review of all the trades that already happened” day or they will have a lot of dead air to fill. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1