The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Luke Schenn to Maple Leafs for 2023 3rd-round pick

5 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I am just discusted with this and only commenting here cause no one else would understand.

Schenn had spirit, guts, mojo.

you dont get that in a 3rd round pik.

We got more for Stillman, does that make any sense? I mean, the stillman trade dindnt make sense.

My theory is that they sat down with Luke and said they want to bring him back next year and asked which team he would want to go to. 

it makes a tonne of sense he would pick Toronto - winning a cup with the Leafs would mean way more for Schenn than Boston/New York/Carolina given it’s the team who drafted him 

If Vancouver approached Toronto and said nothing less than a 3rd this makes a lot of sense. I have a hard time thinking he would have only fetched a third when shopped around 

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Yep, another 3rd rounder I like is Hinds. Looked great in the World Juniors.

Always gems in the later rounds, need a little bit of luck, scouting and development.

Look at the Bruins team and core for the last decade. Marchand is a 3rd rounder. Krejci and Bergeron are 2nd rounders.

Look at Tampa's Roster, they've literally built most their core in rounds after the 1st: Cirelli (3rd), Point (3rd), Kucherov (2nd), Palat (traded but he was 7th round), Colton (4th)

6 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I am just discusted with this and only commenting here cause no one else would understand.

We got more for Stillman, does that make any sense? I mean, the stillman trade dindnt make sense.

I agree, I think there is a time and place for moving players and this was not the time. We can argue back and forth about "worth" but the bottom line is that his intangibles far outweighed a low percentage draft pick, maybe a 1st or 2nd you consider it, but we are a team in the midst of building a new culture and we just gave away one of our building blocks.

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

And you know this how ?

We now have 2rds and 2 4ths.

That gives us a great chance of drafting that shutdown right hand D or possible 3rd line centre.

I posted a link to a RHD that I believe fits the bill perfectly with development. 

There is a good chance he comes back home after this season. 

Be positive, not negative. f**king insane!

FTFY

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

My theory is that they sat down with Luke and said they want to bring him back next year and asked which team he would want to go to. 

it makes a tonne of sense he would pick Toronto - winning a cup with the Leafs would mean way more for Schenn than Boston/New York/Carolina given it’s the team who drafted him 

If Vancouver approached Toronto and said nothing less than a 3rd this makes a lot of sense. I have a hard time thinking he would have only fetched a third when shopped around 

This was exactly my take when i heard about the trade.

35 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Look at Tampa's Roster, they've literally built most their core in rounds after the 1st: Cirelli (3rd), Point (3rd), Kucherov (2nd), Palat (traded but he was 7th round), Colton (4th)

Yeah, its not so much where you pick as who you pick.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Alvin & the Chipmunks pick out of the 2023 draft.

I think it is going to be Goo-ood.

And then more in the 2024 draft too, cuz we still gotta clear some leftovers outta da fridge.

Da Fridge, of Da Bears:

Cant Bring Me Down Super Bowl GIF by NFL - Find & Share on GIPHY

My favorite NFL team ever.

In the 2 playoff games and the Super Bowl, that D allowed only 3 points!

Total.  In 3 games!  Plus the D scored more than the O (or so it seemed).

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I'll miss Schenner too ... Actually Stillman had some bite to his game too, so I'm not surprised that Buffalo took a flyer, especially if they make the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, its not so much where you pick as who you pick.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Alvin & the Chipmunks pick out of the 2023 draft.

I think it is going to be Goo-ood.

And then more in the 2024 draft too, cuz we still gotta clear some leftovers outta da fridge.

Da Fridge, of Da Bears:

Cant Bring Me Down Super Bowl GIF by NFL - Find & Share on GIPHY

My favorite NFL team ever.

In the 2 playoff games and the Super Bowl, that D allowed only 3 points!

Total.  In 3 games!  Plus the D scored more than the O (or so it seemed).

Da Bears Football GIF

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'll miss Schenner too ... Actually Stillman had some bite to his game too, so I'm not surprised that Buffalo took a flyer, especially if they make the playoffs. 

As much as I loved what Schenn did for the Canucks my hope is that there is enough young depth on the d- core that he won’t be able to make the roster. That’s a big ask as the RD is still a mess. As a rebuilding team the TOI handed out has a value that is not always about the score. All this aside the entire right side could be gone by this fall. If that were the case there might be a role for Schenner on another cheap 1 year deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Remember the days when JB let all of our pending UFAs walk for free because he ‘ran out of time’? Everyone here was furious we didn’t get any picks and we lost Markstrom, Tanev, Tofolli, etc..

Now we are finally collecting picks, the most we have ever had in the first 4 rounds of a very deep draft, and some are still not happy. Ffs!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As much as I loved what Schenn did for the Canucks my hope is that there is enough young depth on the d- core that he won’t be able to make the roster. That’s a big ask as the RD is still a mess. As a rebuilding team the TOI handed out has a value that is not always about the score. All this aside the entire right side could be gone by this fall. If that were the case there might be a role for Schenner on another cheap 1 year deal.

I'm going to go one step further (and I have loved Schenn since he was drafted and wanted him here).

I do not want the Canucks to sign Luke next year, and definitely not beyond one year (but not even that imo).

Luke has lost a step this year and the Laffs are going to see this when he gets walked or caught chasing someone into the corners.

Love what he brought, but he is no longer fast enough for our young rebuilding team.

Every player has to man-up for himself and as someone (couldn't find it after a half-assed attempt) said, it is ok for players like Hughes and Petey to take penalties to send a message they're not going to roll-over. 

There are limits to this way of thinking of course, and we will have (please) some major deterrents coming soon (I hope).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I'm going to go one step further (and I have loved Schenn since he was drafted and wanted him here).

I do not want the Canucks to sign Luke next year, and definitely not beyond one year (but not even that imo).

Luke has lost a step this year and the Laffs are going to see this when he gets walked or caught chasing someone into the corners.

Love what he brought, but he is no longer fast enough for our young rebuilding team.

Every player has to man-up for himself and as someone (couldn't find it after a half-assed attempt) said, it is ok for players like Hughes and Petey to take penalties to send a message they're not going to roll-over. 

There are limits to this way of thinking of course, and we will have (please) some major deterrents coming soon (I hope).

I wonder if Schenn sees any playoff TOI? Because of his experience he might. Defence is their biggest weakness, maybe goal as well.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I wonder if Schenn sees any playoff TOI? Because of his experience he might. Defence is their biggest weakness, maybe goal as well.

I think he will.  The Laffs are a mess on D, and will resort to Big Luke soon enough.

Hoping for another 1RE4TO (1st round exit for The Leafs); love watching that team blow at high dough!

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Well said and my opinion too. I have watched him be beat to the puck numerous times and while he can certainly be a brick wall and "fun" to watch at times, that won't do a darn thing against fast skaters on the good teams and we've all seen that dozens of times as he's been skated around.   

It is time for the Canucks to stop pretending we are even close to anything great and build for the future.   Hopefully they dump JTM, BB6, the "Angry Elf" and the other 4 regular defensemen and build for the future.  That way we might have a chance at getting out of the basement that we've been stuck in since the last decade - unless you're all content with wasting your time and throwing your money away on continuous losers !

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1