The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

17 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You have to always keep in mind Drance's long-standing premise: we're not close to building a long-term contending franchise ala Yzerman's plan. We're continuing the cycle of mediocrity. We're now in cap trouble again and still have many holes to fill, yet we've traded away something like three of our last four 1st rounders? Our draft pool is not good enough, our team isn't good enough, yet we're making a go of it these next few years, likely only to hit the wall of reality, yet again, in a few years that this team isn't good enough and we'll be talking rebuild; yet we won't have a prospect pool at that time either. Aye yi yi.

He said we are worse NOW with the trade.  In the immediate term.  He was trying to justify that the trade sucks long term, which is fine you can make that argument.  But then he went one step further and said we are even worse in the short term.

The funniest part is that Donnie was also ripping the trade, but then admitted that alot of the fans emailing in are actually on board with the trade...

Can we use PA's own logic against him. 

A Canucks 2nd is pretty close to a 1st... so pretty much we traded two firsts for Hronik (who PA would say is like a 1st).

Therefore with the Horvat and Hornik deals:
We sent out 3 first round picks (Horvat, NYI 1st, VAN 2nd)
and we got back 4 first round picks (Hronek, NYI 1st, Raty, Beauvillier)

Pretty much a free 1st round pick! Steal! 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Signing Schenn, Severson would make this a much better defense. Do it, AlLvin!

Hughes - Severson

Bear - Hronek

Dermott - Schenn

I think they will make a pitch for severson and Schenn. I like dermott if he is healthy. Bear in the bottom pair is good especially if we can’t get Schenn. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

He said we are worse NOW with the trade.  In the immediate term.  He was trying to justify that the trade sucks long term, which is fine you can make that argument.  But then he went one step further and said we are even worse in the short term.

The funniest part is that Donnie was also ripping the trade, but then admitted that alot of the fans emailing in are actually on board with the trade...

True, but if you look at the poll question 76% say Detroit won the trade

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Apparently Canucks went after  Horonek. Seraveli says he talked to other GMs and they didn't even know Horonek was available. 

It seems Canucks wanted him targeted him and went to DET asking for him. Horonek wasn't on the trade market as in DET calling teams and telling them he's available. 

Provided this is true (and we have to be clear that this may or may not be true), I have 2 thoughts:

1. Going after a player like this with other teams not knowing would be mean less chance of a bidding war happening. Perhaps this is actually smart in that regard.

2. Canucks had more control over the timing since it was not just being a player available. Could this have been done at the draft then? I know this contradicts one of my earlier posts but I'm trying to figure things out like everyone else.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Assuming the Isles make the playoffs this year... what happens if the Isles drop out and tank next year... patience is required.

If the Isles make the playoffs this season the pick is for this June. :lol:

Edited by Baggins

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, he couldn't even make a logical explanation as to why, just threw it out there that we are worse with those 3 in the lineup than with Horvat to try and justify his argument that this trade makes no sense even in the immediate term...

We are likely drafting a center in 2023 who will make the team within two years. So having bo and miller, it’s an overkill. I think the team got good pieces. I like beau quite a lot and hronek is a good player. If Raty can develop into a 3c, it’s a huge win. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Worse in the short- and long-term because it helps us win now and next year, and that's not good for our long-term future (his premise). 

There's a division between fans with the direction of the team: build for the future or build for the now and short term. Those in favour of this trade are thinking short term.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Provided this is true (and we have to be clear that this may or may not be true), I have 2 thoughts:

1. Going after a player like this with other teams not knowing would be mean less chance of a bidding war happening. Perhaps this is actually smart in that regard.

2. Canucks had more control over the timing since it was not just being a player available. Could this have been done at the draft then? I know this contradicts one of my earlier posts but I'm trying to figure things out like everyone else.

This info makes one question about the timing even more. 

The only conjecture that i have is that the Canucks thought the islanders are making the playoffs and that the pick will be around 20 or worse and that it’s value will be lower come the off-season. While Detroit wanted to roll the dice and gamble on getting a mid first pick. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, jyu said:

This info makes one question about the timing even more. 

The only conjecture that i have is that the Canucks thought the islanders are making the playoffs and that the pick will be around 20 or worse and that it’s value will be lower come the off-season. While Detroit wanted to roll the dice and gamble on getting a mid first pick. 

If you look at the eastern conference standings, the Islanders are currently 7th and would make the playoffs as things stand whereas the Red Wings are at the back of that closely-knit pack at 13th. There's a lot of competition for those last 2 slots so I could see either way of thinking happening with any of those teams, whether it's getting better through acquiring Horvat or getting worse through trading away Hronek.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jester13 said:

He cares a lot about this org building a true contender rather than continuing the cycle of mediocrity. 

Nah, he could careless if the team wins or not.  he just needs eyes on his writing.  that's how he makes a living.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • There it is 4

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Oh my god, Drance is an intolerable suck. What a whiney baby, holy crap.  He must live alone, or maybe he's taken half a dozen cats as hostages (aka company). 

I've never been able to stand the guy even when he's not whining. When he's whining about something it just makes it that much worse.

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Worse in the short- and long-term because it helps us win now and next year, and that's not good for our long-term future (his premise). 

There's a division between fans with the direction of the team: build for the future or build for the now and short term. Those in favour of this trade are thinking short term.

I generally do not agree with drance all that much. But i think a patient two year retool would have worked out for this team. Suck for two seasons but be good two years out. 

with how quick the drafted players make the NHL these days, the guys we draft in 2023 will start knocking on the door in 2025. Petey, Hughes are still young enough that we could have a good five to seven year window from that point on. 

If we are in the playoffs next year, 2023 draft is the only year where we will have a chance to add a game changer through the draft.  If we fail to do so, we will be a mediocre team for a while. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

Nah, he could careless if the team wins or not.  he just needs eyes on his writing.  that's how makes a living.  

He has said lots of times that he's a Canucks fan. He wants them to win. He would much rather report - and the same goes for the rest of the media pundits - about an elite contending playoff team each year than what he's been forced to report on these last many years. 

The reason why I agree with him is because I don't see this team as contending with the likes of Boston, Tampa, Carolina, Colorado, New York, etc. We're not even close, yet we're mortgaging our future, yet again. As I mentioned earlier,  we've traded away something like three of our last four 1st rounders, yet we're 27th in point percentage. Drance is bang on.