The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To be clear, I'm not against moving picks in every situation. It depends on the season and the quality of the draft.

I'm loathe to move picks in a deep draft, especially where there is a generational talent at the top. In that circumstance, I want to hang onto picks and if the team is out of contention, then I'm interested in moving veterans for more picks.

There is only one other year where I've advocated this strategy. that was in 2015. (and I argued with a lot of people on CDC then, as well) That was a year with a generational talent at the top as well, but we had signed free agents the previous year in an effort to make the playoffs....

Also worth noting in that draft: There were a least a dozen players in the first round who went on to have a significant impact in the league.

It's a killer top 10, after that is slightly above average to average.  They kept their top 10 pick

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

The thing is that we are trying to tank and this type of moves should have been done before draft or free agent period, not trying to improve in-season.  

I hear you. I hope management were just so convinced this was the guy, and that they are right. 

14 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Agree, and they've chosen the former, which has a much higher chance of delaying the latter, yet again, rather than succeeding. Anyways, I digress on this whole debate, as they've chosen what they've chosen, and I'm going to cheer for this team to make a good go of it, even though I don't have much hope for them to succeed. (Spoken like a true Canucks fan.)

Fair enough. That's the fundamental debate here & there no problem being on either side of it.

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah. Color me shocked that an NHL player isn't excited about being a part of a rebuild.....

That’s fair enough!  

(I would have preferred us to keep the picks) but I also believe this team is significantly better than we’ve showed this year.  

A healthy dose of structure, some improved morale and half decent goaltending could have us looking at this group in a new light.  Let alone some lottery and college free agent luck.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's a killer top 10, after that is slightly above average to average.  They kept their top 10 pick

I’ve heard this before, too.  “Deep draft” refers to more quality than normal at the top end of the draft - not the entire thing. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, ilduce39 said:

That’s fair enough!  

(I would have preferred us to keep the picks) but I also believe this team is significantly better than we’ve showed this year.  

A healthy dose of structure, some improved morale and half decent goaltending could have us looking at this group in a new light.  Let alone some lottery and college free agent luck.

Exactly, they're not a bottom feeder team

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Pretty much. You can drive yourself crazy if you choose not to accept reality because you don't like it.

It is what it is, here's hoping this management can pull off what they're obviously planning/doing.

Arguing against it is just slamming your head against a brick wall.

You are correct Agent. Let’s all accept that the Stanley cup is reserved for cup contenders. Our goal is to make the playoffs (clearly) anything beyond that is house money. If you accept that then all those heavy expectations just fade away. I mean how greedy can this fanbase be right? We already have a Stanley park and Brewery! Who needs a Stanley cup when we have the mediocre cup to flaunt around Stanley park. Just accept Canucks fam and it’ll all be ok. 

”You don’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime you’ll find

you get what you need”

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

This franchise is addicted to cosmetic surgery.

Demko

Boeser

Petey

Hughes

Podz

Hogz

Woo

Rathbone

Klim

Breezer

All drafted, all likely to be on the team in the next year or two.  

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Hughes is the puck possession guy here, so what does he do? Schenn points were 5 on 5 half of Hroneks are PP.

Games played? Detroit has played more this year so far so it stands to reason.

Last year, at a -29 I think Detroit is happy to move him.

We wait and see how many picks they give away to make cap space now.

100 million estimated by cap friendly for next years cap hit, they have to shed at least 9 million. And buyouts count against the cap.

Hughes plays on 30 minutes per game! Do you really want to play him 60 minutes? 

• Huggy Bear 1

Since Linden got canned for wanting to embrace a rebuild instead of a retool, is there anyone on the team that was actually on the team when Linden was there? Haven't we changed like literally every player on the team?

The whole team has been retooled! Retooling is just rebuilding without bothering to have draft picks, depth, development, or good contracts.

For this to be even close to worth it, this guy pretty much has to play with hughes, and they play half the game, and they make sure the other team never has the puck. A tall order indeed.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

You are correct Agent. Let’s all accept that the Stanley cup is reserved for cup contenders. Our goal is to make the playoffs (clearly) anything beyond that is house money. If you accept that then all those heavy expectations just fade away. I mean how greedy can this fanbase be right? We already have a Stanley park and Brewery! Who needs a Stanley cup when we have the mediocre cup to flaunt around Stanley park. Just accept Canucks fam and it’ll all be ok. 

”You don’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime you’ll find

you get what you need”

Well, they're a lot closer to a Cup with this approach than they would be with some fantastical "rebuild".

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

I hear you. I hope management were just so convinced this was the guy, and that they are right. 

If by management you mean ownership saying "get that guy at any price!" then you might be on to something. Why else would someone by a buyer with a terrible record, heading into a generational draft? It's the only rational other than Alvin and Rutherford have no idea how to actually run a hockey team.

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ve heard this before, too.  “Deep draft” refers to more quality than normal at the top end of the draft - not the entire thing. 

Yup, especially in this case.  Once you get past 11, it's not much deeper than average

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is a little misleading as we did aquire some young talent. Not the road we thought we'd go down, but we are headed down it none the less. At least some new players to follow on the team.