The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.  You HAVE to draft defencemen through the draft because if they hit they’re extremely valuable. You don’t throw away 1st round picks because they might not pan out. 

So the Canucks shouldn’t take a shot with an established 25 year old offensive capable RHD, that’s in the timeline of Petey, Hughes, Demko, Kuzmenko, Mikhalaev, Hronek, Podkolzin and then some? 

While having the Nucks 1st Round pick which could fetch another great asset possibly able to be inserted into the lineup full time within 2-3 years, while the rest of those players mentioned are still in their prime and capable? 

We should strip it all down instead or just draft a mid 1st rounder now?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

The management group is getting loads of heat for this move, but Hughes came right out and said that he ain’t sticking around for a rebuild. I’m sure Petey feels the exact same way. The fact that maybe it’s the Canuck young stars that are forcing the hand of management to get competitive as quickly as possible? If we are going to resign EP, we have to show that we are going to try REALLY HARD to build a team that can compete in the western conference, while they are in their prime years.

they better be right this time otherwise they will be on top of the worst GM list in Canucks history.

• Tanks a lot 1

3 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

You quoted an article from December of 2021…now quote what he said in the “major surgery” press conference.

Is that when we moved out of the not trading high draft picks cycle into the buy now cycle? :lol:

1 minute ago, sxqhfeh said:

The management group is getting loads of heat for this move, but Hughes came right out and said that he ain’t sticking around for a rebuild. I’m sure Petey feels the exact same way. The fact that maybe it’s the Canuck young stars that are forcing the hand of management to get competitive as quickly as possible? If we are going to resign EP, we have to show that we are going to try REALLY HARD to build a team that can compete in the western conference, while they are in their prime years.

they better be right this time otherwise they will be on top of the worst GM list in Canucks history.

And that’s the point of the trades. 

For Boeser or Woerser, this is the game plan; get assets to be part of the core and make sure they’re quality pieces in line with the core’s age timeline. 

We don’t have to agree with it, but it’s still a decent plan because we want to keep the team’s cornerstones(Petey, Hughes, Demmer) for at least another few year, in order to build around them, as leaders of the team, because they’re worth keeping around as actual foundational players. 

All the rest of the tears is just noise right now. The plan is in place(for good or I’ll). It’s not a terrible plan. It just needs to be fleshed out. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

A GM that listens to the players seems like a good GM to me. As long as the players are credible. EP40 is a legit franchise centre and has broken out this year. Most teams don’t have a guy like that. Add onto that Hughes who is one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. We have a solid duo there to build around. 

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Why do you shift the goalpost?  Becoming an impact player for your team gives you a chance but there’s no guarantee.  But that doesn’t mean you stop trying.  Not many 2nd round picks make it.  Look at Jet Woo.  When you have a chance to draft a young rhd you take it.  

I’m not, I stand by all of it; add up all the defense men taken in the 1st round of the last decade; less than 50% go on to be a top4 defenseman, even smaller number go on to be that in their first couple years and EVEN the tiny percentage that do (the ones you mentioned) still need a few years of seasoning before they’re ready to REALLY impact. 

my point:

your proposal would give us a less than 50% chance at getting the missing piece our franchise players need

whereas

we Can still find good defensemen later in the draft, and especially if we’re looking for middle pairing guys (really strong bottom pair who can step into pair 2 when needed) we can find those littered throughout rounds 2 onwards. And every now and again we’ll strike gold there too like the examples i mentioned. 

If we didn’t have EP/QH/TD I’d agree with you. But we have them and I think it’s worth trying to compete with them, we’re not as far as Drance thinks. 

17 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Are people really arguing the importance of drafting high? Let's just look at 2 players from three teams.....

Since 2009

Chicago - 3 cups Kane drafted #1, Toews drafted #3

Pittsburgh - 3 cups (4 trips to finals) Crosby #1, Malkin #2

Tampa Bay 2 cups (4 trips to finals) Stamkos #1, Hedman #2

That's 8 Stanley Cups in 11 Finals appearances. So is drafting inside the top 3 a crap shoot? Yes it is, occasionally you're going to get a Cam Barker or a Nail Yakupov. But it's pretty damn hard to win without those kind of picks.

We are getting Bedard or Fantilli or Michkov in the upcoming draft. I can so feel it.

All problems will be solved.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

People acting like were still not drafting in the lottery this year.  Reality check, we are.

Agree completely.  If they'd traded their own pick, I'd be with them, but this was a smart gamble.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

All the defencemen I mentioned were all drafted in the mid first round. And they All had immediate impact on their teams upon arrival.  

Go ahead and Joulevi it again. It's way easier to hit D men and goalies in later rounds , and impact forwards in the early rounds 

15 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

And that’s the point of the trades. 

For Boeser or Woerser, this is the game plan; get assets to be part of the core and make sure they’re quality pieces in line with the core’s age timeline. 

We don’t have to agree with it, but it’s still a decent plan because we want to keep the team’s cornerstones(Petey, Hughes, Demmer) for at least another few year, in order to build around them, as leaders of the team, because they’re worth keeping around as actual foundational players. 

All the rest of the tears is just noise right now. The plan is in place(for good or I’ll). It’s not a terrible plan. It just needs to be fleshed out. 

They did, however, make it very difficult on themselves with some very short sighted moves before this

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

While I don't like the timing, it is fun watching all these people melt down after screaming for a top 4RD for years.

Yeah I've feel like I've had to remind people that they don't have to like the trade in order to like the player we got out of the deal. There comes a point where I wonder if people exist on this forum just to complain about everything.

7 minutes ago, jyu said:

We are getting Bedard or Fantilli or Michkov in the upcoming draft. I can so feel it.

image.thumb.jpeg.8946807ccaddb457be1d763a87f21b2e.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

A GM that listens to the players seems like a good GM to me. As long as the players are credible. EP40 is a legit franchise centre and has broken out this year. Most teams don’t have a guy like that. Add onto that Hughes who is one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. We have a solid duo there to build around. 

7 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I’m not, I stand by all of it; add up all the defense men taken in the 1st round of the last decade; less than 50% go on to be a top4 defenseman, even smaller number go on to be that in their first couple years and EVEN the tiny percentage that do (the ones you mentioned) still need a few years of seasoning before they’re ready to REALLY impact. 

my point:

your proposal would give us a less than 50% chance at getting the missing piece our franchise players need

whereas

we Can still find good defensemen later in the draft, and especially if we’re looking for middle pairing guys (really strong bottom pair who can step into pair 2 when needed) we can find those littered throughout rounds 2 onwards. And every now and again we’ll strike gold there too like the examples i mentioned. 

If we didn’t have EP/QH/TD I’d agree with you. But we have them and I think it’s worth trying to compete with them, we’re not as far as Drance thinks. 

EP40 is probably going to be gone anyway because the team has no cap to sign him, and will have to dump a lot of cap especially if he asks north of 9mil which he will. they won't sign JTM, a 30yrs old winger 8x7 if they want to build around younger stars.

8 minutes ago, jyu said:

Linden won't represent the Canucks at the NHL Draft Lottery this year |  Offside

Trevor Linden looking like he's about to hurl as we drop from our #3 spot pre lotto to #5 (Olli Juolevi)

We're the Canucks, we can't have nice things.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, awalk said:

Is that when we moved out of the not trading high draft picks cycle into the buy now cycle? :lol:

Sure, maybe after a full year on the job he had a better picture of what the team was and what direction he wanted to take it.