The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He's the only shining star in JR's galaxy so far.    Hope that Detroit D-Man they overpaid dearly for this week, turns out as well or I'm going to cry after throwing two very high picks away on him in a very deep generational draft year when we could have made significant progress restocking our empty cupboards which 79.38% of Canucks fans were demanding! (per the poll here on CDC)   

Dupe Alf account. 

I’m sure of it.

If it walks like a furball and talks like an insane furball, it’s Alf. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mordekai said:

No nhl team has ever not been cap compliant. This cap compliant issue is severely overrated. Teams will figure out a way. Why? Cause they have to and they pay $$$$ for a group of people to figure it out. 

Yes yes yes....... and yes.....meg ryan love GIF by HULU

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

One thing that hasn't been talked about is that the current roster has much more to offer than the previous roster that Benning inherited.

People are saying we did this retool thing under Benning and it didn't work, so it's not going to work now.  The problem with that argument is that Benning inherited a team that basically had nothing.  We didn't have 3-4 star players all entering their prime years.  We had declining assets that needed to be moved or retired.  I made this point many times which is why I defended Benning for many years.  I thank him for his contribution in leaving us with Petey, Hughes and Demko, plus some support players and prospects.  Benning's failure was trades, free agent signings and cap management.  The OEL/Garland deal was the last straw for me and I knew after that debacle he had to go.

Right now, we are in a much different spot than when Benning took over.  We have most of our core pieces already in place.  And they are moving into their prime years.  They are all ready to take the next step and therefore they need the support players to push them over the top.  Collecting draft picks and prospects for the next 3-4 years isn't going to help Petey and Hughes become better players, and certainly isn't going to help them to win more games.  In fact, it will have the opposite effect.  It will drive them right out of town.

Also, I think some people misunderstood what major surgery is.  Major surgery is going in and fixing the main problems of the team and replacing those parts with other parts.  It does not mean to throw the body away and start from scratch.  This I think is the confusing part for some.  And Iike I said earlier, some people also confused the Horvat trade as a sign that we are rebuilding.  When in actual fact the plan the entire time was to use that draft pick to acquire a top 4 RHDman.

The major surgery has begun.  But the body is still intact.  We have the foundational pieces in place to be a winner.  You can have 5-6 top 5 picks in a row and never get a Petey or a Hughes.  If you don't believe me ask Edmonton.  They needed like 4-5 tries plus some luck just to get McDavid.  Who knows, maybe we will get the same luck this year and land Bedard, or one of the other 2 franchise centres.  I think we are due for some good luck.  The signs are all there that this may be the year that it happens.  If it does, then I think we will all be on the same page together...

Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

My Dad turns 86 in a week or so, and I'm nearly 60. I'd love for the team to win a cup before he's done with this life. For years conversation with my dad was hard; we had a very rocky relationship when I was growing up, he tried to make amends when I was in college, but by then, my heart had hardened. I wonder if I had caller ID back then if I'd have even answered his calls. He'd call me every couple of weeks, and we didn't have much to talk about except the Canucks. Now that he's in assisted living and in failing health, I realized that it was the Canucks that saved our relationship, and god, I hope we can celebrate a cup before he goes.

Cheers brother. 

Never too late to mend stitches in relationships. 

It’s the only thing that matters. 

Anger never lasts as long as regret. 

Buy him an old school Sweater, and watch a game with him. 

It would mean the world to him, and you…down the road. 

Thanks for sharing that part of you. Message me if you ever feel the need to talk. 

Cheers. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

23 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

My Dad turns 86 in a week or so, and I'm nearly 60. I'd love for the team to win a cup before he's done with this life. For years conversation with my dad was hard; we had a very rocky relationship when I was growing up, he tried to make amends when I was in college, but by then, my heart had hardened. I wonder if I had caller ID back then if I'd have even answered his calls. He'd call me every couple of weeks, and we didn't have much to talk about except the Canucks. Now that he's in assisted living and in failing health, I realized that it was the Canucks that saved our relationship, and god, I hope we can celebrate a cup before he goes.

We are many, who can relate to that....

Amen. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

9 hours ago, jyu said:

You said the guy has same last name as the guy that’s on our team and plays for Michigan. There’s no Nemec on our team. 

Sorry, just expanding on the point that NJ has absolutely no need for Bear. 
‘They have been purpose built to be a good, deep team for a long time and just filled their main area of need in a PF. Goaltending is only question at this point with that team. 
‘Must be nice to be a NJ fan now. Trying to build to championship quality would be a refreshing management strategy. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Thank you for sharing this. I hope you and your father are able to celebrate a Stanley Cup together as well.

• Huggy Bear 2

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

One thing that hasn't been talked about is that the current roster has much more to offer than the previous roster that Benning inherited.

People are saying we did this retool thing under Benning and it didn't work, so it's not going to work now.  The problem with that argument is that Benning inherited a team that basically had nothing.  We didn't have 3-4 star players all entering their prime years.  We had declining assets that needed to be moved or retired.  I made this point many times which is why I defended Benning for many years.  I thank him for his contribution in leaving us with Petey, Hughes and Demko, plus some support players and prospects.  Benning's failure was trades, free agent signings and cap management.  The OEL/Garland deal was the last straw for me and I knew after that debacle he had to go.

Right now, we are in a much different spot than when Benning took over.  We have most of our core pieces already in place.  And they are moving into their prime years.  They are all ready to take the next step and therefore they need the support players to push them over the top.  Collecting draft picks and prospects for the next 3-4 years isn't going to help Petey and Hughes become better players, and certainly isn't going to help them to win more games.  In fact, it will have the opposite effect.  It will drive them right out of town.

Also, I think some people misunderstood what major surgery is.  Major surgery is going in and fixing the main problems of the team and replacing those parts with other parts.  It does not mean to throw the body away and start from scratch.  This I think is the confusing part for some.  And Iike I said earlier, some people also confused the Horvat trade as a sign that we are rebuilding.  When in actual fact the plan the entire time was to use that draft pick to acquire a top 4 RHDman.

The major surgery has begun.  But the body is still intact.  We have the foundational pieces in place to be a winner.  You can have 5-6 top 5 picks in a row and never get a Petey or a Hughes.  If you don't believe me ask Edmonton.  They needed like 4-5 tries plus some luck just to get McDavid.  Who knows, maybe we will get the same luck this year and land Bedard, or one of the other 2 franchise centres.  I think we are due for some good luck.  The signs are all there that this may be the year that it happens.  If it does, then I think we will all be on the same page together...

Great points. 

Everything you stated is true. 

I find myself jaded with a retool because when we should have rebuilt (after 2012) we retooled for over a decade. 

Now when we really should be retooling, a lot of us think we should be rebuilding (prob from past trauma) 

It might be different if Hughes and Petey were in their rookie seasons on an ELC but they are not. 

Petey will be a top 3 centre in this league in the next 1-2 years

Hughes will be a top 3 d in this league and really revolutionized the position. I love Schenn but he gave me grandeur that Schenn was somehow worth a late first. Like how good is Hughes to be able to do that for his partner. Imagine him with an actually good top 4 D that can log big minutes on his own. 

And then Demko... Top 5 goalie... 

3 big positional needs taken care of. 

If Millsy can fill 2c or we fluke out in the draft, forward group is fine. 

That just leaves defense and Hronek took care of one need. 

We need just 1 more top 4 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Great points. 

Everything you stated is true. 

I find myself jaded with a retool because when we should have rebuilt (after 2012) we retooled for over a decade. 

Now when we really should be retooling, a lot of us think we should be rebuilding (prob from past trauma) 

It might be different if Hughes and Petey were in their rookie seasons on an ELC but they are not. 

Petey will be a top 3 centre in this league in the next 1-2 years

Hughes will be a top 3 d in this league and really revolutionized the position. I love Schenn but he gave me grandeur that Schenn was somehow worth a late first. Like how good is Hughes to be able to do that for his partner. Imagine him with an actually good top 4 D that can log big minutes on his own. 

And then Demko... Top 5 goalie... 

3 big positional needs taken care of. 

If Millsy can fill 2c or we fluke out in the draft, forward group is fine. 

That just leaves defense and Hronek took care of one need. 

We need just 1 more top 4 

A better plan would have been after we saw how bad we were this year in the first few weeks, realizing cap position will improve when Myers contract ends in 2 seasons, to do everything we could to shed contracts and build up draft capital this season and next. 
‘If we had simply not traded for Hronek and traded JTM at this deadline or last we would have a lot of young assets and pics and cap space to weaponize, would have had 2 high first rounders instead of middling and would have had flexibility to start adding to a core that would include Pettersson, Hughes and a couple other high end prospects. 
‘With flexibility we have seen it is not that bad to find players of Hronek’s quality in the off-season and again we may have had a high end right D and centre added through the draft so we would better be able to define our needs than we can now. 
Now we are over the cap, depleted in draft capital, 6th worst team in the league and are still overspending on wing and have major shortages in the entire organization for right D and C. 
‘With what we had in place a reasonable shortcut was a two year rebuild instead we chose to continue the decade long retool in an attempt to get to mediocre not good. 

Edited by DrJockitch

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What are the Flames doing?

Huberdough at 10.5 for 8 years and he’s on 40 points. Soft, slow, old, crappy. Why didn’t they trade him at the TDL? 

Same reason we didn't trade Miller. No one wants him, his fat contract, or his shitty attitude.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Same reason we didn't trade Miller. No one wants him, his fat contract, or his shitty attitude.

Sounds like we had two good offers for Miller at the last two deadlines. We were too short sighted to take either and are in deeper trouble for it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Sounds like we had two good offers for Miller at the last two deadlines. We were too short sighted to take either and are in deeper trouble for it. 

Yup... But hey just like our last 2 gms, after JR is done f**king this team up, he'll be shit canned and we'll be left watching the new York Jets of the NHL.

19 hours ago, billabong said:

Why do you fans whine and complain all the time? 

I grade the Canucks TD as a B 

shed cap space for next year - check

bring in some picks - check 

improve the blueline for next year - check 

traded all valued UFA’s - check 

grease a team as a broker for a young player - check 

the better time to deal boeser, garland or Miller is at the draft 

When the deadline rolled around yesterday I'll admit I was pissed. Really felt that we needed to shed cap asap and that management wasn't getting the job done.

Now that I've had a chance to reflect, I'm reminded of the fact that you can't trade a Boes, Garland, Myers or even a Miller if no team wants them. And the reality is we are a bottom dwelling team trying to move under producing players.

Nobody wants our garbage!!! 

I bet we would have had to add huge sweeteners to move any of those guys, which I'm glad Allvin wasn't willing to do.

If this is going to take 3-5 years to build back up, then us fans need to not freak out in the first 6 months! 

Give it until 1 year from now at least before losing your minds.

You can't ask a GM to rebuild or even retool, but then not give them a remotely reasonable amount of time to do it!