The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] 3C targets for next season

On 3/7/2023 at 6:22 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Allvin confirmed we’ll be shopping for a third line C in the off-season. 

What UFA, RFA or trade targets does everyone like?

@Elias Pettersson has suggested Kuraly from CBJ.

Blueger could be another option, given his speed.

Who do you got?

Backlund out of Calgary? I believe he has one year left after this year and it's roughly 5 million a year so I don't know how we could fit that. But I do like the style he plays. He can slot into your top six no problem. He plays a Defensively sound game and I think would be a good guy to have as a third centre . Of course this would be only if we are contending (which I'm not in favor for as I support a full rebuild but it looks like management isn't going that way) and could fit his cap.

Edited by myre

On 3/7/2023 at 5:22 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Allvin confirmed we’ll be shopping for a third line C in the off-season. 

What UFA, RFA or trade targets does everyone like?

@Elias Pettersson has suggested Kuraly from CBJ.

Blueger could be another option, given his speed.

Who do you got?

I really like @Elias Pettersson suggestion on Kuraly. Jarmo seems to want to compete though. He would be my first choice if he was available. 

Ideally we would be able to ship Boeser out in a deal for some of these options, but one things for sure, we need to offload money in order to obtain a 3rd line center and a 3rd pair Defensive lhd. 

i would also suggest the following in order of preference. 

1. David Kampf - no way TO is going to be able to resign him, with their cap troubles. Wins 52% of his draws, First unit penalty killer. A bit cheaper option then some of the following.

2. Frederick Gaudreau - will surely be too expensive for the Wild to retain. Plays both second unit PP and PK. Has nearly 30 points this season. Wins 49% of his draws.

3. Scott Laughton - Philly was rumored to be interested in Boeser, this swap allows us to get cut a bit of salary and address both teams needs. 

4. Mikael Backlund - Calgary was rumored to be interested in Boeser. This gives them a scoring winger and gives us about a million in cap space, with only one year of commitment to Backlund. Backlund provides a 3rd line veteran center for a year, who has been consistent over the course of his career. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I really like @Elias Pettersson suggestion on Kuraly. Jarmo seems to want to compete though. He would be my first choice if he was available. 

Ideally we would be able to ship Boeser out in a deal for some of these options, but one things for sure, we need to offload money in order to obtain a 3rd line center and a 3rd pair Defensive lhd. 

1. David Kampf - no way TO is going to be able to resign him, with their cap troubles. Wins 52% of his draws, First unit penalty killer. A bit cheaper option then some of the following.

2. Frederick Gaudreau - will surely be too expensive for the Wild to retain. Plays both second unit PP and PK. Has nearly 30 points this season. Wins 49% of his draws.

3. Scott Laughton - Philly was rumored to be interested in Boeser, this swap allows us to get cut a bit of salary and address both teams needs. 

4. Mikael Backlund - Calgary was rumored to be interested in Boeser. This gives them a scoring winger and gives us about a million in cap space, with only one year of commitment to Backlund. Backlund provides a 3rd line veteran center for a year, who has been consistent over the course of his career. 

Are any of the 3C’s you suggested right shot? 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are any of the 3C’s you suggested right shot? 

If we are hell bent on getting a right shot for the 3c, should be looking at Compher, Gaudreau or Sissons. Compher will probably be too expensive so looking at Gaudreau or Sissons. At the trade deadline it seems the Preds might be retooling so I could see Sissons available. If we’re unable to sign Livingstone maybe try n get Foote from them as well. 

Edited by Boknows08
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KKnight said:

Wild are expected to extend Gaudreau - he's one of the reasons they only added rentals this TDL and traded Greenway.  He was brought in by Evason who coached him in Milwaukee.  Gaudreau was an F13 in Pittsburgh for Rutherford - wouldn't expect him to want a reunion when it's Evason that gave him his chance to finally become a lineup regular at 28.  Not just an occasional 4th liner like for Rutherford but an every day top-9 player.   

Briere in Phildalphia is talking of rebuild.  Not sure they'd want to trade for Boeser when he talks of them having a long road ahead of them.  Would expect them to try and add picks.  He warns it's not a full tear down but would think they'll still be trying to acquire futures for anyone they decide to move.  

Calgary only have 1.3M in cap space with a roster of 19 next season per CapFriendly.  They probably have to create cap space of their own just to be able to complete their roster.  

4 hours ago, mll said:

Wild are expected to extend Gaudreau - he's one of the reasons they only added rentals this TDL and traded Greenway.  He was brought in by Evason who coached him in Milwaukee.  Gaudreau was an F13 in Pittsburgh for Rutherford - wouldn't expect him to want a reunion when it's Evason that gave him his chance to finally become a lineup regular at 28.  Not just an occasional 4th liner like for Rutherford but an every day top-9 player.   

Briere in Phildalphia is talking of rebuild.  Not sure they'd want to trade for Boeser when he talks of them having a long road ahead of them.  Would expect them to try and add picks.  He warns it's not a full tear down but would think they'll still be trying to acquire futures for anyone they decide to move.  

Calgary only have 1.3M in cap space with a roster of 19 next season per CapFriendly.  They probably have to create cap space of their own just to be able to complete their roster.  

Well that solves that! thanks @mll

Haven't we been screwed enough by UFA's not panning out?

I'd rather sign Jaxon Nelson of the University of Minnesota.

Even Nick Poisson Providence College (Not sure he's big enough he's 5'11" and 185 lbs.)

College UFA's are inexpensive and can help out in Abby.

19 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m going to say Aman for 3C we need to save our cap space for our real need which is fixing the defence. Don’t cap ourselves out from adding to our bad defence.

our cap space problems are not on under 1 million players.... or even under 4 million dollar players

23 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m going to say Aman for 3C we need to save our cap space for our real need which is fixing the defence. Don’t cap ourselves out from adding to our bad defence.

I would trade in an instant, 1 quinn hughes with OEL and Myers for 1 Shchenn and 2 Ethan Bears. which would save us almost 13 Million in cap.

15 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I would trade in an instant, 1 quinn hughes with OEL and Myers for 1 Shchenn and 2 Ethan Bears. which would save us almost 13 Million in cap.

Quinn Hughes is a Franchise dman. Our version of Brian Leetch and just for "cap space" you would get rid of him? 

Then what?

17 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yup, Aman at 3C for a team still developing its game and culture is completely fine.  Joshua/Aman/Garland as the 3rd line is adequate for what we need them to do.  I'd also then give 4C duties to Raty to work on the defensive side of the game first.  Have him work his way up through the lineup.  Zero pressure to produce offence.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

our cap space problems are not on under 1 million players.... or even under 4 million dollar players

Well no but signing a winger like Mikeyev at 4.5 mill when our defence needed help this last summer put us up to the cap so much so that we couldn’t really add substantial help on the backend that’s been our weakness for years! I see people suggesting names that will cost 3+ million a year while it is in a better position than signing another winger I just think if management keeps saying how valuable cap space is and how hard it is to get it maybe they should spend it on the position this team really needs help on.

18 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Quinn won’t be traded, OEL is unmovable and Myers while in the last year of his deal I think you could maybe move him with retention just to save maybe 3 or 4 million. However Myers seems more like a trade deadline deal. I think the only real way to save on cap next year is by a JT Miller at the draft trade but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening either.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Quinn won’t be traded, OEL is unmovable and Myers while in the last year of his deal I think you could maybe move him with retention just to save maybe 3 or 4 million. However Myers seems more like a trade deadline deal. I think the only real way to save on cap next year is by a JT Miller at the draft trade but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening either.

I admit your are correct, and really, we cant even get two more Eathan Bears cause we got the one and only. As much as we love Quinn, he is more valuable as a sweetener to move OEL and Myers. However, If Millar is a better sweetener, especially how he has been playing of late, that would work better