The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] 3C targets for next season

Evan rodrigues leading all COL forwards in ice time right now... just saying, halls know the PIT connection, age, numbers, cap hit and overall situation could be a good fit, he is a legit 3C that can we face-offs, offer speed, grit and PK ability 

3 years 3.25 schmill aav

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, KKnight said:

Ross Colton, Rasmus Kupari or stop-gap J.Toews are my votes. 

Luc Robitaille, LA's president of hockey ops and Rob Blake's boss, was just talking of their high hopes for Kupari.   As argued earlier in this thread, can't see why LA would let him go when he's seen as part of their future.  Not untouchable but the return unlikely to be worth trading him. 

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

to TB

Connor Garland

2023 1st

Jett Woo

to VAN

Nik Prebix

Ross Colton 

Jack Thompson

To PHX

Anthony Beauvellier 

To VAN

ARZ 2023 3rd

WSH 2023 3rd 

Tampa just moved a full set of picks for Tanner Jeannot.  They are in win now mode - the 1st has very limited value to them as explained by BriseBois following the Jeannot trade.  

Can't really see Tampa thinking it's more valuable to give 5M of their very limited cap space to an under-sized Garland with no playoff experience vs keeping Ross Colton or extending Killorn who they went with the finals with and even won a Cup with.  Playing in the post-season vs regular season - not the same.  

Don't see why Arizona would change approach for Beauvillier.  Armstrong has been repeating the same message on so many different platforms - they are tanking and trying to hoard as many draft picks as possible.  Don't see why they would give up picks for an upcoming UFA who doesn't fit their timeline.  Last year Armstrong was telling Seravalli that they've called up teams around the league to offer them cap space help in exchange of draft picks.  Seravalli jokes that they are not throwing a lifeline but an anchor given the asking price.  Arizona added LTIR contracts - ie they are already at the floor and teams who want to dump contracts on them are probably going to have to pay up.

34 minutes ago, mll said:

Luc Robitaille, LA's president of hockey ops and Rob Blake's boss, was just talking of their high hopes for Kupari.   As argued earlier in this thread, can't see why LA would let him go when he's seen as part of their future.  Not untouchable but the return unlikely to be worth trading him. 

Yeah, they need a succession plan for Kopitar and Danault who are getting up there in age.  

Last season there were a lot of veteran 3Cs in their late 20's/early 30s who were signed to very cheap deals and we missed out on all of them. Jarnkrok, Janmark, Rodrigues etc. There were a bunch.

There's a new crop this year, the likes of Compher, Kampf, Puis Suter, Sundqvist, Girgensons... there's loads out there.

My pick would be Sundqvist - he's a massive body, relatively young, right handed, Swedish and killing it in the faceoff dot right now. He's exploding with Minnesota which is a shame but has said he wants to test free agency. I think he'll have a good playoffs and demand too much sadly but he's the perfect player for this 3rd line. The rest are a bit smaller and quite frankly most of them are sub-50% in the faceoff dot and are left handed.

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Last season there were a lot of veteran 3Cs in their late 20's/early 30s who were signed to very cheap deals and we missed out on all of them. Jarnkrok, Janmark, Rodrigues etc. There were a bunch.

There's a new crop this year, the likes of Compher, Kampf, Puis Suter, Sundqvist, Girgensons... there's loads out there.

My pick would be Sundqvist - he's a massive body, relatively young, right handed, Swedish and killing it in the faceoff dot right now. He's exploding with Minnesota which is a shame but has said he wants to test free agency. I think he'll have a good playoffs and demand too much sadly but he's the perfect player for this 3rd line. The rest are a bit smaller and quite frankly most of them are sub-50% in the faceoff dot and are left handed.

He's lost a lot of man games due to injury, hasn't he?  That torn ACL really took a step off his game.

22 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

He's lost a lot of man games due to injury, hasn't he?  That torn ACL really took a step off his game.

Yeah so I'm hoping we can get hi on the cheap, I think he's coming off a 2.5M-ish deal. He hasn't played in the playoffs yet either, but 7 points in 15 games with Minny and 66% faceoffs isn't bad. He's nothing special but has all the right tools we need, if we get him playing under the gritty Tocchet-style he could be a real gem for us. Allvin loves a Swede, loves a reclamation project and needs a big, strong 3C who can win faceoffs and is a right hander, and there's not many others out there.

If we could somehow sign him to a 2 to 2.5M deal that'd be great. They're talking about Barbashev who's surely going to ask for anywhere between 4-6M which is just too pricey, and he really doesn't play a defensive style (if anything he plays a lot on the wing). There's other guys out there like Kampf who's more of a glorified 4th line center and Compher who's a 2nd-3rd line center (3C on a playoff team) who will surely be too expensive. 

Listening to Tocchet's exit interview, it sounds like he wants a defensive-minded guy who can win faceoffs. Sundqvist is far from solid defensive but under the right coaches he might be able to play that way. As a 3C though you do need to be able to contribute something more than say 5-10 goals offensively and Sundqvist can do that. He'll probably be playing with the likes of Hoglander, Podkolzin, Garland and/or Beauvillier so while they have to be sturdy defensively, they're going to have to chip in with goals as well. A 50 point center is probably a bit much for this team but 30-40 pts and 10-15 goals from the 3rd liners would fit nicely.

Don't know much about Sundqvist, his player card above doesn't look great but heard he was badly injured this season. 

Rodrigues is available and has had a couple really solid seasons in a row. Maybe a 3-4 contract would entice him and hopefully they can keep the cap hit decent. Definitely a position we need to fill, but I think we'll have some options to make that happen. 

We also have a slew of forwards and likely 1-2 need to be moved, so there are lots of ways this could happen. 

On 4/16/2023 at 3:17 PM, cripplereh said:

I'd for one like to see a trade of BB and Rathbone get us a 3c .

But if not trade them and another trade of 

Myers as (futures) at draft with Hogs.

This way we get cap space and go after one ufa C.

@Phil_314 mentioned a trade idea in passing on another thread, which I think could work to achieve that...

To PIT: Boeser

To VAN: Rutta

This would give us a stop gap RD for next season, plus cap space to target a couple of centers (because we really need more than 1x C imo)

Sign Rodrigues $3m x 3 and Bjugstad $2m x 3

Both right handers, a nice mix of size/speed, excellent PK abilities.

Line up (which is cap compliant with Pearson on LTIR and Poolman in AHL) becomes:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Beauvillier

Mikheyev Miller Hoglander ($950k)

Podkolzin Rodrigues Bjugstad

Joshua Aman Garland

(Di Giuseppe)

Hughes Rutta

OEL Hronek

Hirose ($775k) Schenn ($1.25m)

Burroughs ($775k) Myers

Demko

Talbot ($1.1m)

(Note: Rutta and Schenn can both play with Hughes 5v5 at different times)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Problem is Schenn got traded right after sticking up for coach BB.I don't think he is in the plans to resign. 

Woo ,McWard,Hronek, Johansson and Bear are here for next year. 

Bear not to sure about,but still don't think we trade for another.  

If anything Myers might stay till tdl which I doubt.  

Left D should be 

QH , Hirose , OEL 

A trade for a C is best but we only need one.

Raty might be thrown up b as 3c.

Joshua can also play C. 

Pens did try to trade for Miller and might come calling,also could see the Bruins making a call.

Off-season I could see 

Brock,Myers and Miller if we get the right pieces being traded.

On 3/8/2023 at 2:00 AM, BigTramFan said:

Top UFA options for 3C:

1 - Compher

2 - F Gaudreau

3 - Acciari

4 - Bjugstad

5 - Barbashev

6 - Kampf

7 - Monahan

Compher is my first choice and would be affordable if we can move out 2 of these guys: Myers, Boeser, OEL, Garland

Barbashev is intriguing. Not sure if he's a 3C. More of a winger these days.

Ommited Gaudreau. Acciari is very physical and good at faceoffs as well, he could be a good pickup. Barbashev looks like a pure offensive guy, and Kampf purely defensive which could work. 

My pick, despite the bad PK number, is Bjugstad. I think he could be had for a lower price on a short contract - like 1 year 1.75 or 2 years 1.5. He plays pretty well offensively and defensively and great size (6'6 209lbs). 

Could contain: Person, Text, Face, Head, ChartCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, Head, Chart, Line Chart
Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, Head, ChartCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, Head, Chart, Line Chart

Could contain: Person, Face, Head, Text, ChartCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, Head, Chart, Plot

• Thanks 1