The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Something has to be done about the Ice at Rogers.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

The ice is pathetic. The puck bounces like crazy on it and it looks slow. Do it for the players, please. We should be striving to have the best ice and please stop mentioning the ocean and humidity. Its 2023. I am sure a lot of things can be done to upgrade it.  The building is 30 years old. Figure it out. I think it comes down to spending money but I think any player you want to sign probably wants to play on really good ice. Even as a fan you can tell its bad and really slow. They look like they are trying with all their might to skate in it. Any ice experts care to talk about why it's so bad?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

Kevin Woodley mentioned on the post-game show that there's lots of people talking behind the scenes that Vancouver has some of the worst ice in the league.  

Pucks mostly bounce because they are not properly frozen to -14F, but can be affected somewhat by ice conditions but that is not so much a problem here since we have one of the best ice sheets in the league.  I've actually skated on it recently as a STH invite and can vouch for it's quality which is unlike any ice surface I've ever skated on.

If you have 5 minutes, here are a couple of articles that describe NHL ice quality and puck preparation.  

https://vault.si.com/vault/2004/02/23/the-importance-of-ice-its-the-most-basic-element-in-hockey-but-its-maintenance-is-one-of-the-biggest-headaches-in-sports-herewith-the-cold-facts-on-how-to-make-good-ice-what-the-nhl-is-doing-to-fix-the-sorry-state-of-rink-surfa

https://www.hockeyever.com/why-do-they-freeze-hockey-pucks/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Pucks mostly bounce because they are not properly frozen to -14F, but can be affected somewhat by ice conditions but that is not so much a problem here since we have one of the best ice sheets in the league.  I've actually skated on it recently as a STH invite and can vouch for it's quality which is unlike any ice surface I've ever skated on.

If you have 5 minutes, here are a couple of articles that describe NHL ice quality and puck preparation.  

https://vault.si.com/vault/2004/02/23/the-importance-of-ice-its-the-most-basic-element-in-hockey-but-its-maintenance-is-one-of-the-biggest-headaches-in-sports-herewith-the-cold-facts-on-how-to-make-good-ice-what-the-nhl-is-doing-to-fix-the-sorry-state-of-rink-surfa

https://www.hockeyever.com/why-do-they-freeze-hockey-pucks/

I am sorry but it doesn't look like one of the best ice sheets and other teams players are complaining. Rogers has had tons of complaints about the ice.

Some nights are worse than others. Probably depends on other events, and humidity in the forecast.

But still, way too many nights watching the puck bounce around like crazy. Shameful for a Canadian hockey city. Canadian ice makers are supposed to be the best in the world, and should be able to engineer the ice to be more solid and cold for 3 hours.

43 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

If your not going to take care of the building including ice and the seats etc. then he should just sell the team. Whatever happened to the new practice rink? Haven't heard a thing and the issue seems dead. It just feels like he tries to save money by not upkeeping things.

They dont have the money.  The family is and has been a total con.   

I wish gaglardi owned this team

On 3/8/2023 at 8:04 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The ice is pathetic. The puck bounces like crazy on it and it looks slow. Do it for the players, please. We should be striving to have the best ice and please stop mentioning the ocean and humidity. Its 2023. I am sure a lot of things can be done to upgrade it.  The building is 30 years old. Figure it out. I think it comes down to spending money but I think any player you want to sign probably wants to play on really good ice. Even as a fan you can tell its bad and really slow. They look like they are trying with all their might to skate in it. Any ice experts care to talk about why it's so bad?

The players just got an upgraded dressing room, isn’t that enough?