The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure. Those kinds of guys (like Miller) are not easy to get. But to me the key core is the five guys listed. Goalie. #1C. #2C. #1D#2D. A big, tough, scoring winger could be considered a key core piece too. I accept that.  

I just like it because I think there needs to be a bit more toughness to our top 9. I miss Bertuzzi in his prime. Maybe Josh Anderson.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Supposedly it's supposed to be a deep draft up until 15th spot so other than the top 5 is there a big difference in skill level between 7 and 15?

The draft was deep when the Rangers drafted Hugh Jessiman too. Duds can happen in deep drafts too. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Which is part of why Bo got moved for Beau and Hronek eventually and more moves will happen in the offseason.  The core has already greatly shifted. 

I dunno I am skeptical if all the team needed was another d-man and forward to help the core then OEL + Garland would have been a slam dunk. 

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I just like it because I think there needs to be a bit more toughness to our top 9. I miss Bertuzzi in his prime. Maybe Josh Anderson.

Yup. Love to be heavier and harder to play against on the Wings.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Supposedly it's supposed to be a deep draft up until 15th spot so other than the top 5 is there a big difference in skill level between 7 and 15?

I believe Craig Button said on Donnie and Dhali a couple weeks ago that after the top 5 the middle of the draft gets pretty muddy. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Mando27 said:

I mean I'm glad the team seems to be playing well, but we have seen this song and dance many times before. Time will tell if they can carry it over to next season.

This is the same thing that worries me. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I believe Craig Button said on Donnie and Dhali a couple weeks ago that after the top 5 the middle of the draft gets pretty muddy. 

Yeah there really seems to be. There’s a ton of variance, with some experts ranking Dvorsky at 3, whereas another has him at 19. And some are very high on Sale, placing him in the 4 spot, and another has him at 17. There’s a lot of instances of this too.

With so many good players, and undoubtedly some busts sprinkled in amongst the gems, we’re really going to need our scouts to bring their A game with this pick. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

“Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.”

Enjoy the wins, take satisfaction and solace in the losses. Everything else is out of our hands. 

Amen!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Look the times when the Canucks were real contenders... what were those teams' rosters:

'94

107 point, 60 goal game breaking Superstar in Bure

Three other players all over 60 points, and over 25 goals... including Linden with 32 goals.

Solid D Corps

Very underrated goalie in McClean, Vezina finalist twice and multi year NHL Allstar

A 41 goal, 104 point Daniel and a 94 point Henrik Sedin... both Superstars and Art Ross winners... Henrik Hart trophy the year before.

A 41 goal 71 point Ryan Kesler... Selke winner and 8th place in Hart balloting.

Alex Burrows at 26 goals and a Selke consideration.

Three other forwards with 14 or more goals... including some very physical players.

The most mobile D in the league... with a pre-injury Alex Edler as main stay.... including Christian Erhoff on D with 14 goals and 50 points... this not even including the very highly skilled Sami Salo who was injured most of the season.

The best overall goaltending tandem in the league with Luongo and Schneider... Luongo 3 time Vezina winner.

What does this team have:

A potential 100 point center in Pettersson

A declining potential 75 point center in Miller, D skills questionable.

A potential 75 point winger in Kuzmenko, D skills questionable.  Young developing forward group with some bright lights, Podkolzin, Mikheyev.  Overpriced remainder of forwards... Boeser etc.

A potential 80 point offensive D man in Hughes... small D.  Garbage remainder of D group... all would be 5/6's on good teams.

A team representative to the allstar game in goal in Demko, a couple mediocre backups in Delia and Martin and a potential future starter in Silovs.

CAP problems

The difference is obvious.

This team needs more building blocks... it needs new players who have the special abilities which it takes to get to the finals.

This is especially the case with the D... we need at least another two high quality top four defensemen.

This is why those of us who see the meaningless wins late in the season and wonder why may be justified in thinking so.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 2

Great to see them winning again though was a bit dicey at times - they need to keep it going - try even harder so that they can get into the top 20 and show improvement to their loyal fans  -  If they can someone gain another net 10+ points on some teams in the remaining games, they will be out of these lottery sweepstakes - this indicates they are not too far off the playoff bar like some other teams and gives hope to the season ticket holders.heading into next season.

Next game vs OTT will be tough so Demko will probably start - also need to play Petey and Huggy extra minutes if we are to win and finally overtake some of these teams we have been chasing for a while.  Will be an interesting weekend. 

38 minutes ago, BPA said:

If Canucks win all their remaining 18 games, they will end up with 95pts.

I wonder if that would be enough to catch a wild card spot.

:)

Anything can happen!

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Look the times when the Canucks were real contenders... what were those teams' rosters:

'94

107 point, 60 goal game breaking Superstar in Bure

Three other players all over 60 points, and over 25 goals... including Linden with 32 goals.

Solid D Corps

Very underrated goalie in McClean, Vezina finalist twice and multi year NHL Allstar

A 41 goal, 104 point Daniel and a 94 point Henrik Sedin... both Superstars and Art Ross winners

A 41 goal 71 point Ryan Kesler... Selke winner and 8th place in Hart balloting.

Alex Burrows at 26 goals and a Selke consideration.

Three other forwards with 14 or more goals... including some very physical players.

The most mobile D in the league... with a pre-injury Alex Edler as main stay.... including Christian Erhoff on D with 14 goals and 50 points... this not even including the very highly skilled Sami Salo who was injured most of the season.

The best overall goaltending tandem in the league with Luongo and Schneider... Luongo 3 time Vezina winner.

What does this team have:

A potential 100 point center in Pettersson

A declining potential 75 point center in Miller, D skills questionable.

A potential 75 point winger in Kuzmenko, D skills questionable.  Young developing forward group with some bright lights, Podkolzin, Mikheyev.  Overpriced remainder of forwards... Boeser etc.

A potential 80 point offensive D man in Hughes... small D.  Garbage remainder of D group

A team representative to the allstar game in goal in Demko, a couple mediocre backups in Delia and Martin and a potential future starter in Silovs.

CAP problems

The difference is obvious.

This team needs more building blocks... it needs new players who have the special abilities which it takes to get to the finals.

This is especially the case with the D... we need at least another two high quality top four defensemen.

This is why those of us who see the meaningless wins late in the season and wonder why may be justified in thinking so.

See above.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That was a frickin' awesome interview. A motivated JT is what this team needs to win. When he's playing a high-effort straightforward game and not giving up on plays and trying risky blind passes he's a force and I think Tocchet is getting the best out of him. I hope it keeps up. If it does his contract is a bargain.

• Cheers 1