The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] The D Continues to be Rebuilt

It's clear what management is looking for.  Mid 20 year old guys that have established NHL careers.

To VAN:

Sam Girard

To COL:

Jack Rathbone

3rd Round Pick (TOR)

Colorado clears some cap space on an overloaded LHD.  With the emergence of Byram and Toews already there, Girard would be an expensive 3rd pair LHD for them moving forward.

Vancouver acquires a 24 year old, cost controlled defenceman at $5M AAV for several more years.  A cerebral and mobile defender that can play both sides to add to the stable of D we have now.  Could be effective next to Hronek.

Some may worry about his size, but Makar is 5'11" and Toews is 6'1".  Girard is 5'10, and Hronek is 6'0". 

Bring back Schenn, Bear, and Burroughs please.

Hughes-Schenn

Girard-Hronek

OEL-Bear

Why would Colorado move a defenceman on a $5 million cap hit at age 24 for a 3rd and Rathbone?

Just because they have a surplus, they are not going to just give him away for nothing.

Vancouver is tight at the cap as well. So unless you are moving other pieces to cut the cap hit down.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why would Colorado move a defenceman on a $5 million cap hit at age 24 for a 3rd and Rathbone?

Just because they have a surplus, they are not going to just give him away for nothing.

Vancouver is tight at the cap as well. So unless you are moving other pieces to cut the cap hit down.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rumor-avalanche-have-named-their-price-for-samuel-girard

Buy low.

I would be concerned that the group wouldn't be able to play much D as they are mostly puck moving guys in your proposal.  I would want to see some size and D with my D group.  Similar to what I shared in another thread I would love to see:

Trade Boeser and Rathbone for Rasmus Ristolainen (Transformed more into a 2 way D from a liability offensive D under a similar coach to ours)

Trade Myers for something or even FCs once his bonus is payed out

Sign Tryamkin and Livingstone

Hughes Hronek

OEL (6'2) Ristolainen (6'4)

Tryamkin (6'8)  Livingstone (6'3)

Brisebois Bear as extras

Gives us a bottom four with some size without compromising speed and a top pair of more offensive guys that can apply the pressure as needed.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

How does a D that includes Juulsen, Wolanin, Brisebois and Burroughs, have a 3-game winning streak? Oh yeah, Demko is back and looking like Demko. The GAA has been much better lately. Silovs has also been really good when needed. So much better than Martin/Delia tandem.

Can't wait to see Hronek in the blue and green, should really help. I hear Bear is close to returning as well, and with Hronek, they'll be replacing Juulsen and Burroughs. No idea what's happening with Dermott and OEL.

Hughes - Bear

Brisebois/OEL - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

Maybe the Canucks also get Jake Livingstone?

Not really interested in Girard with Hughes and Hronek. Looking at your other recent proposal involving Chi and trading back, was thinking making that a bigger deal where we get Murphy to play with Hughes and send Myers(after bonus) and Garland to help them reach the cap floor. Sign Livingstone and Schenn. 

Hughes Murphy

Oel Hronek

? Livingstone/Schenn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

It's clear what management is looking for.  Mid 20 year old guys that have established NHL careers.

To VAN:

Sam Girard

To COL:

Jack Rathbone

3rd Round Pick (TOR)

Colorado clears some cap space on an overloaded LHD.  With the emergence of Byram and Toews already there, Girard would be an expensive 3rd pair LHD for them moving forward.

Vancouver acquires a 24 year old, cost controlled defenceman at $5M AAV for several more years.  A cerebral and mobile defender that can play both sides to add to the stable of D we have now.  Could be effective next to Hronek.

Some may worry about his size, but Makar is 5'11" and Toews is 6'1".  Girard is 5'10, and Hronek is 6'0". 

Bring back Schenn, Bear, and Burroughs please.

Hughes-Schenn

Girard-Hronek

OEL-Bear

If we just paid a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder for Hroneck RD - 25 -6'0 --

Girard 25 May -- 5'10- 180 lbs   shoots L - LD/RD  4yrs remaining at 5 million--- Lets pass another small D and Hronek will demand 5.5 -6 million soon.

Go after Graves 27 - 6'5- 220  LD -adds toughness should sign under 4 million X 4yrs would be a good signing..

Girard another small D man...

1.Hughes LD -  Jake Livingstone  RD. 6'3 age 23 will sign before March 29th

2. Horonek RD - Graves LD 6'5 -220

3. OEL - Bear RD --( Juulsen RD) - Burroughs LD - Brisebois LD

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

Just now, wildcam said:

Girard 25 May -- 5'10- 180 lbs   shoots L - LD/RD  4yrs remaining at 5 million--- Lets pass another small D and Hronek will demand 5.5 -6 million soon.

Go after Graves 27 - 6'5- 220  LD -adds toughness should sign under 4 million X 4yrs would be a good signing..

Sorry ugh, Hronek RD -25 - 6'0 - 190 lbs

5 hours ago, wildcam said:

I don't think Graves will sign for under 4M. He's going to be looking for 5M+ and someone's almost certainly going to give it too him. But if we can somehow get him under 4M that's a steal.

• Like 1

Surely there's a Boeser for Pettersson deal to be revisited in the offseason (or POJ). Otherwise Graves at 5M. Plus a Livingstone signing. Then we just need a 3C. Would like to find one via a trade, or Kampfer/Sundqvist/Puis Suter on the cheap in free agency.

Pettersson - Hronek

Hughes - Livingstone

OEL - Myers

Dermott

A mid-season Myers trade depending on how he goes.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:39 AM, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would be concerned that the group wouldn't be able to play much D as they are mostly puck moving guys in your proposal.  I would want to see some size and D with my D group.  Similar to what I shared in another thread I would love to see:

Trade Boeser and Rathbone for Rasmus Ristolainen (Transformed more into a 2 way D from a liability offensive D under a similar coach to ours)

Trade Myers for something or even FCs once his bonus is payed out

Sign Tryamkin and Livingstone

Hughes Hronek

OEL (6'2) Ristolainen (6'4)

Tryamkin (6'8)  Livingstone (6'3)

Brisebois Bear as extras

Gives us a bottom four with some size without compromising speed and a top pair of more offensive guys that can apply the pressure as needed.

But what are their wingspans?