The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Oliver Ekman-Larsson buyout is the only way the Canucks can re-tool the defence

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

9 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

I agree; a solid LHD 2/3 pairing guy was a priority prior to watching Hirose play. Now, I'm more inline with watching him and Johansson compete for a spot with our depth guy in camp, and focus on the RHD again IF were are able to move Myers. Honestly, I would target Mayfield or Severson in FA if the $ wasn't ridiculous. Then, resign Schenn. a perfect scenario....

Hughes-Mayfield/Severson

OEL-Hronek

Hirose/Johnasson-Schenn

Burroughs, Wolanin, Bris, etc.

IF you can't trade Myers, role with him and Bear (1 year <2m) for another year...

Hughes-Hronek

OEL-Bear/Schenn

Hirose/Johnasson-Myers

Burroughs, Wolanin, Bris, etc.

I seriously doubt hirose is in Van next season.  That'd be pretty sh!tty after the year that Wolanin just had for this organization.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I seriously doubt hirose is in Van next season.  That'd be pretty sh!tty after the year that Wolanin just had for this organization.

I would imagine both will be competing for a job. Wolanin performed adequately but I wouldn't say he's cemented a spot.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I would be shocked if Hirose wasn't on the team next year and wolanin was. 

Hirose signed a contract to play here in the NHL not ahl or he would have signed with a different team.

Wolanin was decent but not great.

Call up at best.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

On the contrary, his contract expires Jun 30th, he's an RFA, and he's waivers exempt for at least 57 games/3 seasons, per capfriendly.  I think he'll be given a chance to stick with the team, but if he can't beat out Wolanin or others knocking at the door by a significant margin, given his waivers exemption status, I would not be surprised to see him in Abby for a year or two.

At this point there is no way he is in Abby next year ever.Every game he's played and yes limited he has been superior over Wolanin.

Wolanin might be the 8th d man at best.

Hirose is the better player at this point, Wolanin was signed only to be there for injuries and doubt he beats anyone out to be in the lineup.

Mayfield, Graves, Severson are interesting targets. Gavrikov too but he seems like a guy destined to be over paid.

Buying out OEL would be such a bad decision. (1) there's potential for him to be a legit top 4 D for you. (2) your not trying to contend now, so any years you can knock off the penalty are good. 

For me going into next year - based on what we have right now;

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Hronek

Hirose - Myers

Hopefully you can move Myers & add one of the UFA targets or someone else via trade to play with Quinn, meaning;

Hughes - ???

OEL - Hronek

Hirose - Bear

Regardless I like some of the pieces we have.

- Hirose's got the IQ to play & he's 24 so he's beyond the point of needing a ton of development - its sink or swim & so far he's swam well.

- I'm optimistic about OEL/Hronek. Hronek looks good & I think OEL showed last year he could be a good top 4D, so we'll see. 

- Bear has shown an ability to play well with both OEL & Hughes which I like, meaning he's versatile, he could play higher (as Quinn can carry anyone) but ideally you find another top 4 guy & he becomes a utility player. 

7 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I would be shocked if Hirose wasn't on the team next year and wolanin was. 

Hirose signed a contract to play here in the NHL not ahl or he would have signed with a different team.

Wolanin was decent but not great.

Call up at best.

Wolanin has an NHL contract too.......so does Bains, Karlsson, Woo etc etc.  The contract makes no difference.

Wolanin was a first team all star in the AHL and carried that team through the first half of the season, then came up and played solid mins in Van........and you think 10ish games from Hirose is enough to say to Wolanin "you had an epic year for us, but this no name from college and his 10 games was better"?

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Wolanin has an NHL contract too.......so does Bains, Karlsson, Woo etc etc.  The contract makes no difference.

Wolanin was a first team all star in the AHL and carried that team through the first half of the season, then came up and played solid mins in Van........and you think 10ish games from Hirose is enough to say to Wolanin "you had an epic year for us, but this no name from college and his 10 games was better"?

Their both competing for a spot, neither has guaranteed themselves an NHL spot for next year just yet. 

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Their both competing for a spot, neither has guaranteed themselves an NHL spot for next year just yet. 

I do agree there, but seniority and having already proven yourself is a big factor in the final decision.  Wolanon has earned priority, hirose hasnt

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

I do agree there, but seniority and having already proven yourself is a big factor in the final decision.  Wolanon has earned priority, hirose hasnt

If that’s the case, Rathbone would’ve been an NHL’er last season. 

Hirose, Wolanin, Brisebois/Juulsen, Burroughs, Bear etc should all be competing for a spot. No one should be given a role based on last seasons results. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If that’s the case, Rathbone would’ve been an NHL’er last season. 

Hirose, Wolanin, Brisebois/Juulsen, Burroughs, Bear etc should all be competing for a spot. No one should be given a role based on last seasons results. 

Rathbone is a long way from being wolanin

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Yes I do. 

Wolanin as you said was great in the ahl where he can help grow other young players as he should.We sign players like him to be the extra or grow our young guys.

He knows his job and why he is signed.

Just now, cripplereh said:

Yes I do. 

Wolanin as you said was great in the ahl where he can help grow other young players as he should.We sign players like him to be the extra or grow our young guys.

He knows his job and why he is signed.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there.  I guarantee that's not how Wolanin sees himself and I doubt that's how the Canucks brass sees hum either.

The "shiny new toy syndrome" is strong with Hirose........who might be a good player.  But he's proven nothing yet

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm pretty sure training camp and their results (as well as results of other D knocking on the door) will be the arbiter of that.  It's premature to mark either one of them down as guaranteed to be on the team to start next season, and being 1st year pro, Hirose would have to be head and shoulders during camp above all others not named "Hughes", "Ekman-Larsson", "Hronek", and possibly even "Bear" and "Myers" to secure an opening roster spot.

It's not impossible for him to end up on the starting roster on opening night, but I don't share your conviction that he's guaranteed to be on the starting roster, because a lot can happen between now and the end of training camp.

True but going by hockey IQ and using it he so far is miles ahead and you just don't lose that over a summer.

Just now, stawns said:

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there.  I guarantee that's not how Wolanin sees himself and I doubt that's how the Canucks brass sees hum either.

The "shiny new toy syndrome" is strong with Hirose........who might be a good player.  But he's proven nothing yet

His hockey IQ and play so far has been miles ahead .I just don't see him losing that over the summer.

• Cheers 1