The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN and NSH

To VAN: Cal Foote

To NSH: Conor Garland

Why for NSH?

Nashville trade a 3rd pairing Dman for a top 6 winger. After trading away Granlund and Niederreiter at the TDL, they could do with some more top 6 talent. NSH have depth at RD in Carrier, Barrie and Fabbro.

Why for VAN?

Foote has potential to be a top 4 Dman. He is big and is a defensively responsible player. VAN resigns Foote (RFA) to a $2.15m x 2 years contract. If anyone beats that with an offer sheet, then we receive a 2nd round pick as compensation. Foote has potential to be our long term partner for Hughes.

My preference is also to resign Schenn as a UFA so that Hughes has both Foote and Schenn to pair with until such time that Foote can handle the 5v5 minutes.

D next season:

Hughes Foote

OEL Hronek

Brisebois Schenn

(Wolanin Burroughs Juulsen)

Thoughts?

• Cheers 2

I'd do that deal.  We need to trade either Garland or Boeser IMO to shed some cap.  Foote could become a much better Dman under his dad, at the very least he would be a good 3rd pairing guy who can clear the front of the net, kill penalties and drop the gloves.  A bigger version of Burroughs.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

Not all that sure that Nashville wants to add a vet for their top-6.  Still a bit unclear how that's going to look but Trotz talks of a re-set where he expects expanded roles for their younger players.  

If it's a true re-set feels like it would just box out one of the young players they are trying to give a bigger role to.  They might be thinking about what happened with Tolvanen who looks a different player in Seattle.  Nashville lost him to waivers because they had too many vets to really have the patience to allow him to find his game as a top-6.  

Novak, Evangelista, Tomasino lead their team in scoring since the TDL.   They've been thriving with expanded roles in their top-6 + Hynes continues to also rely on Glass.

That's 4 players who could claim a regular top-6 role and they already have 3 spots taken with Forsberg, Duchene and Johansen, although Joey could end up dropping down a line.  Adding Garland seems superfluous if they are really going down the re-set route.  Not sure he's a Hynes/Trotz type of player either - feels a bit like there's not enough directness to his game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, mll said:

Not all that sure that Nashville wants to add a vet for their top-6.  Still a bit unclear how that's going to look but Trotz talks of a re-set where he expects expanded roles for their younger players.  

If it's a true re-set feels like it would just box out one of the young players they are trying to give a bigger role to.  They might be thinking about what happened with Tolvanen who looks a different player in Seattle.  Nashville lost him to waivers because they had too many vets to really have the patience to allow him to find his game as a top-6.  

Novak, Evangelista, Tomasino lead their team in scoring since the TDL.   They've been thriving with expanded roles in their top-6 + Hynes continues to also rely on Glass.

That's 4 players who could claim a regular top-6 role and they already have 3 spots taken with Forsberg, Duchene and Johansen, although Joey could end up dropping down a line.  Adding Garland seems superfluous if they are really going down the re-set route.  Not sure he's a Hynes/Trotz type of player either - feels a bit like there's not enough directness to his game.

Johansen looks like a 3C at this point.  Not sure he will be a Trotz guy.  They may want to move him.  Garland could be effective as a 3rd liner.

I could see a Trenin   Scissons   Garland line working.  They need more scoring up front.  Foote seems to be playing more lately.  Not sure if that is because of an injury, but maybe Trotz likes him.  He seems to be a Trotz type of guy which is why they targeted him...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Johansen looks like a 3C at this point.  Not sure he will be a Trotz guy.  They may want to move him.  Garland could be effective as a 3rd liner.

I could see a Trenin   Scissons   Garland line working.  They need more scoring up front.  Foote seems to be playing more lately.  Not sure if that is because of an injury, but maybe Trotz likes him.  He seems to be a Trotz type of guy which is why they targeted him...

Trenin Sissons Smith is already a line.  Smith is 6'3 and was part of the reason they put Tolvanen on waivers.

If they wanted scoring they could have kept Niederreiter who can play 3rd line - big body, physical, 20 goal scorer + reasonable 4M deal.  That 2nd round pick is some years away from making an impact, if any.

There are teams that rely on their scoring power to win games but there are also teams that believe that defence is how they'll thrive in the post-season, and put more importance on being equipped to win those 1 goal grinding/heavy games which they feel are more adapted for playoff success.

With Trotz in charge I am not sure he's going to be looking for scoring vs strong 2-way play and heaviness/physicality.   There again they could have kept Niederreiter so I wonder if it wasn't to open up a spot because they have players that are pushing for an NHL role and they are trying to identify their next core of players.

They also have some skilled kids coming up - Tomasino/Evangelista are still a bit slight but are believed to be top-6 forwards.  If they play how they are now would expect them on the team but it's garbage time and sometimes play this time of the year doesn't always carry over.  They are getting Johansen back so he could always be a stop-gap top-6 next season in case one falters.

If the playoff is not an imperative then their roster is pretty reasonable to go with into next season.  There's a rather good balance of veterans presence and younger players.  There's Sissons for the tough matchups so they won't put a young player in a role he can't assume.  For the scoring they still have Duchene/Forsberg so it doesn't put all the pressure on their younger players + Josi/McDonagh and Saros in net.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I worry some people are saying Garland has negative value due to his 5M cap hit but don't think Nashville would mind. I suppose I wouldn't mind retaining 1M to facilitate this trade. I'd just hope Foote wasn't a key part of the trade, and rather an after-thought of the picks.

I'd still hope we can sign Livingstone and Graves/a solid top-4 LD in the off-season to play in our top-4. Foote is good but he's not quite ready for top-4 minutes on a playoff team. On a bottom-feeder, sure, but we want to make a big jump. Foote should purely be there to replace Schenn's 17-18 minutes a night. Foote working with Foote would be quite interesting and hopefully elevate his game.

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Livingstone

OEL - Foote

Now that's a proper top-10 NHL defence.

• Like 1
  • elephant 1

I would do this deal and then immediately look to do something similar with Boeser.  The cap hits alone would be addition by subtraction. EP, Hronek,  Bear could all be resigned easily and there would be flexibility to deal wt OEL/Myers if management wanted to retain and or buyout.

I am a Kelowna Rockets fan and want Cal Foote to be a success.  However, he is 6.5 225lbs and is 24 but hasn't got his career going.  I am not saying he is a bust, but I am not sure he brings any more than Juulsen.  If we are able to land Livingstone, I think that he might have more upside.  We also have to deal Myers and Poolman moreso than Garland.

• Like 1

Foote has a lot more value than garland. You'd still need to be adding to make this deal happen, and after Nashville moved Ekholm, they're going to be banking on Foote taking another step forward next year to help fill that hole. Garland at the moment has a negative value, which is exactly why there were no takers at the deadline without Van eating part of his salary. Young top 4 potential defensemen cost a lot more than a fringe top 6 winger on a mediocre/poor contract. You'd have to at a 2nd for them to even start considering the move, or retain.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

55 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Foote has a lot more value than garland. You'd still need to be adding to make this deal happen, and after Nashville moved Ekholm, they're going to be banking on Foote taking another step forward next year to help fill that hole. Garland at the moment has a negative value, which is exactly why there were no takers at the deadline without Van eating part of his salary. Young top 4 potential defensemen cost a lot more than a fringe top 6 winger on a mediocre/poor contract. You'd have to at a 2nd for them to even start considering the move, or retain.

I’d would be great to reallocate Garland’s cap to our D. But, like you point out, his value in trade is low and won’t return a quality D, especially a younger one.

Maybe it would be possible to trade Garland for a 3C and move his cap to a more important role that way? 
Garland to the Habs for a guy they want to dumperoo: Dvorak. 

On 3/22/2023 at 7:58 PM, BigTramFan said:

Why for NSH?

Nashville trade a 3rd pairing Dman for a top 6 winger. After trading away Granlund and Niederreiter at the TDL, they could do with some more top 6 talent. NSH have depth at RD in Carrier, Barrie and Fabbro.

Why for VAN?

Foote has potential to be a top 4 Dman. He is big and is a defensively responsible player. VAN resigns Foote (RFA) to a $2.15m x 2 years contract. If anyone beats that with an offer sheet, then we receive a 2nd round pick as compensation. Foote has potential to be our long term partner for Hughes.

My preference is also to resign Schenn as a UFA so that Hughes has both Foote and Schenn to pair with until such time that Foote can handle the 5v5 minutes.

D next season:

Hughes Foote

OEL Hronek

Brisebois Schenn

Thoughts?

Why is Schenn on the team?  

We have Johansson coming over who is younger.  

Wouldn't be a bad trade if they want Garland.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Why is Schenn on the team?  

We have Johansson coming over who is younger.  

Wouldn't be a bad trade if they want Garland.

If we are targetting the playoffs then we will need Dmen like Schenn who can hit, clear the crease and fight if need be.

A 176 lb rookie like Johansson is not going to provide that.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:58 PM, BigTramFan said:

Why for NSH?

Why for VAN?

D next season:

Hughes Foote

OEL Hronek

Brisebois Schenn

Thoughts?

Not sure if Foote 24 - 6'4 - 215 lbs is a top pairing D man? 

Might get Livingstone 6'3 RD when NCAA tourney is over? 

Foote is averaging 15.3 minutes on Nashville.. Hope Foote becomes a top 4 D man one day..I would trade for Foote he does add size and toughness and a RD men are hard to find.. 

Jost  25 mins - Barrie  21 mins -- McDonagh - 21 mins. -- Carrier 18 mins -  Fabbro 16.5 -- Lauzon 16.5 --Foote 15.3

Just now, wildcam said:

Not sure if Foote 24 - 6'4 - 215 lbs is a top pairing D man? 

Might get Livingstone 6'3 RD when NCAA tourney is over? 

Foote is averaging 15.3 minutes on Nashville.. Hope Foote becomes a top 4 D man one day..I would trade for Foote he does add size and toughness and a RD men are hard to find.. 

Josi  25 mins - Barrie  21 mins -- McDonagh - 21 mins. -- Carrier 18 mins -  Fabbro 16.5 -- Lauzon 16.5 --Foote 15.3

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

If we are targetting the playoffs then we will need Dmen like Schenn who can hit, clear the crease and fight if need be.

A 176 lb rookie like Johansson is not going to provide that.

Then we would have resigned him. 

He is gone.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:48 AM, Dixon Ward said:

I am a Kelowna Rockets fan and want Cal Foote to be a success.  However, he is 6.5 225lbs and is 24 but hasn't got his career going.  I am not saying he is a bust, but I am not sure he brings any more than Juulsen.  If we are able to land Livingstone, I think that he might have more upside.  We also have to deal Myers and Poolman moreso than Garland.

I agree with you 100 %, I really thought Foote would of been a top 4 D man by 24. He went to Nashville and basically playing 15 mins a game. 

Juulsen 25 - 6'2--200lbs has been playing very well in 12 games beside Hughes. 

Some people are saying Foote has more value then Garland?? Sorry Garland is a top 6 forward on lots of teams and Foote is a # 6 or # 7 D man right now.

I really think Filip Johansson 23--6'1 -190 lbs -RD  might make Canucks out of training camp? 

Would really like to see Vancouver sign a free agent D man out of college..Maybe Livingstone 23 - 6'3 - RD one of the best D men in college...

On 3/23/2023 at 11:05 AM, MattWN. said:

What "lot more" value are you referring to exactly?  Top-4 potential D is a generous label at this point, if everyone was healthy he'd be the #4 RHD behind Barrie, Carrier and Fabbro.  If they trade Fabbro then he could likely hold a 3rd pair RHD spot.

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Jost  25 mins - Barrie  21 mins -- McDonagh - 21 mins. -- Carrier 18 mins -  Fabbro 16.5 -- Lauzon 16.5 --Foote 15.3