The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Tuesday March 28 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ St Louis Blues - 5pm PT/8pm ET - St Louis

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

REFEREES

Justin St. Pierre #12
JS12.jpg?resize=120,120
Brandon Blandina #39
BB39.jpg?resize=120,120
Last Game 3/25 NYR/FLA 3/25 OTT/NJD
Games ’22-23 66 67
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 74 / 0 48 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1189 / 8 143 / 0
First NHL Game 11/9/05 3/19/19
Birthplace Dolbeau, QC Centennial, CO

LINESMEN

Michel Cormier #76
MC76.jpg?resize=120,120
Mark Shewchyk #92
MS92.jpg?resize=120,120
Games ’22-23 65 61
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 75 / 15 74 / 16
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1289 / 89 1323 / 75
First NHL Game 10/10/03 10/9/03
Birthplace Trois-Rivieres, QC Waterdown, ON
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SlyZen16 said:

What's the highest draft position we can finish now? I don't see us losing many games now. Happens every year with these Canucks. What a waste. Bedard too :(

I'm all for wins and Canucks success, but this was a Bedard year and the Canucks were trending towards the bottom. In a way I wish the owners did step in and instructed JR/PA let Bruce finish out the season and to sell at the TDL. Just this one time. 

But, it's a competitive business and I guess wins are more important to them.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

This has nothing to do with tonight’s game but I was just looking at my Facebook memories from today in past years and 4 years ago today I drove up to BC to go to a game and I have two important memories pop up from that game.

1. 4 years ago today Quinn Hughes recorded his first NHL point against the Kings, and I was at the game to see it which is so awesome especially since I now consider him my favorite player on the team. 

2. I was sitting one row ahead of and 2 seats to the right in front of a celebrity that was on the jumbo screen at one point at that game that I had never heard of before. I texted my best friend a picture (which I’m attempting to post here) and said “hey I’m in front of some guy that’s apparently in action movies. Never heard of him before but figured you might know who he is. It’s the guy with the popcorn bucket.” I got a reply saying “OMG that’s Anthony Mackie! The Falcon!!! Holy crap dude! How do you not know who he is?!?!?!?” So now I often get made fun of because my buddy posted my picture to Facebook and all of his marvel movie friends constantly give me crap haha. 

Figured it would be fun to share these memories. Side note, I have since seen some of those Marvel movies and am much more aware of Anthony Mackie and his fame now. 

29EFE1C8-FE1C-4BE7-9FE3-4B13CFBE6762.png

I had to read this post 3 times to figure it out.   Was like "huh?" I thought Robert Downy Junior played Iron Man and who the heck is the Falcon.   And then was like - that doesn't really make sense, RDJ looks off and the dude beside him looks small for his security.   Then I had the "Ah -HAH!" moment.   Popcorn bowl.  Got it.    Thanks for posting, and you did better than I would have. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be cautiously optimistic, we all thought this after we were consistently a top-10 team with BB for like 50-60 games and then came out like trash this season. I can see how people think the Tocchet coaching bump is more sustainable to the BB bump, but still...I don't trust it until we start next season the way we end this one.

More importantly, who knows how we'll fare in the playoffs. Right now we have a fantastic top line, great 2nd line, but we really need a solid center on the 3rd line who can check. Got a great 4th line though.

Our team defence is great but the personnel need a bit of a shakeup. We're boasting an almost all-AHL defence right now through injuries, in the playoffs we'll need someone sturdy to really help lock it down.

In goal though we've got as good a netminder as anyone.

I'd say we become a very dangerous wild card team or 3rd place in the Pacific for sure.

The other thing to keep in mind is Canucks have had one of the easiest ranked schedules to close out the season as well.

34 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Canucks were NEVER going to be bad enough to realistically get Bedard.

No team realistically gets Bedard, it’s a lottery.

Even a team with a 20% chance has an 80% chance of not getting him.

At the 5-9 spot we have a chance. That’s all we need.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Canucks were NEVER going to be bad enough to realistically get Bedard.

Realistically - True, but the chances decrease which cant be argued.

I have seen this argument lots and what I think people are missing is, even if we lose out on Bedard we are getting a worse draft position due to winning now. We were sitting 6th last now 10th. The difference between picking 6 OA verse 10 OA is what bothers me. 

These end of season, feel good runs have not benefitted us - they have hurt our draft position multiple times 

4 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

3 winnipeg wins will end our chances, or 5 winnipeg points.

Math:

Maximum points that Canucks could get = 9 games x 2 = 18 points

Jets ahead by 12 points

Canucks can't catch Jets if they get 6 or more points

Tiebreakers go to Jets on equal points as Canucks are 11 games behind Jets in ROW

Therefore Jets getting more than 5 points (or 3 wins) will eliminate us.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Haha 1
  • Tanks a lot 2

21 minutes ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I have seen this argument lots and what I think people are missing is, even if we lose out on Bedard we are getting a worse draft position due to winning now. We were sitting 6th last now 10th. The difference between picking 6 OA verse 10 OA is what bothers me. 

These end of season, feel good runs have not benefitted us - they have hurt our draft position multiple times 

It is the way!

• Haha 1

Why can’t we just stop with the “ tank whining for Bedard “ we are building towards great times ahead with this management group/coaching staff/ elite core. Everything is aligning now with this organization finally, for the negative posters you will always be negative and nothing will ever be good enough. 

This team is on the rise and management will find creative ways to build us a champion by adding

(Guentzel/Rust) type additions.

Please just enjoy the boys winning because not even Bedard will bring a cup to any team alone. Case in point McDavid nope, Matthews nope…. We have the core pieces needed to win now, they will add a couple more pieces in the off season.

Let’s win out the season! :towel:

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Canucklehead53 said:

Haven’t you heard, coaching bumps and hot streaks are the real measure of a team, not how it plays when games matter.

‘We are one player away from a championship again this year, just like last. 
‘Celebrate our greatness and accept the dominance that is The Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucklehead53 said:

image.png.0bf16dba97bab48aa322af61a3099099.png

Dear Canucklehead53, I would like to play a game. Assume the Canucks pick 8th, please point out the player that will (1) for sure be available when the Canucks turn comes around and (2) is/will be the reincarnation of Kesler, in other words a franchise player.

Take all the time you need, I'll wait.

For extra points, try for 9th and 10th.

PS. For reference,  Kesler was picked #23 in what was another deep draft (2003), which many are purporting that this year's class to be as well.

Edited by Rocket-68

27 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Dear Canucklehead53, I would like to play a game. Assume the Canucks pick 8th, please point out the player that will (1) for sure be available when the Canucks turn comes around and (2) is/will be the reincarnation of Kesler, in other words a franchise player.

PS. For reference,  Kesler was picked #23 in what was another deep draft (2003), which many are purporting that this year's class to be as well.

Leonard has crept into my logjam of players in the 7-10 range.

Edited by TheQuietQuitter
Reminds me a bit of Kesler's game.

26 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Oliver Moore or Dalibor Dvorsky

Just now, TheQuietQuitter said:

Leonard has crept into my logjam of players in the 7-10 range.

Leonard more of winger, he is actually more of a Aiden McDonough type player with higher end overall skill package - essentially big frame, power forward, smart enough, big league shot, shot shot shot 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

Leonard more of winger, he is actually more of a Aiden McDonough type player with higher end overall skill package - essentially big frame, power forward, smart enough, big league shot, shot shot shot 

maybe matt boldy is a good equivalent, I like Podz, but man oh man we passed on boldy who had no question marks coming into draft, had really come up a lot of boards... 

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

Sounds like the package you want in a dominant shut down center.  He probably projects more as a winger, but I am starting to like him more over the overseas and CHL guys if it came down to that decision.