The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Hronek shut down for the year

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Well… its also a lot easier when you are a contending team and one of them happens to be from BC…. 
JT Miller was absolute highway robbery. Weren’t a contending team, buried in TBL and the price paid was an absolute joke considering what his value proved to be since signing here

Benning. :lol: LMAAOAV

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/nhl-defensemen-stats.html

We can't be making up stuff if we're going to make a case for something.

image.thumb.png.17dec5151ff0e070762bd7cd79b5f8f8.png

He is actually ranked 29th by points.

image.thumb.png.a09ff92a9e45e28d036e4750ed7cb2b4.png

So if there's 64 top pairing D 29th is in the top half of the league. But lets look at RHD...

RHD.thumb.jpg.9496432e829d7ef28903115f57027f11.jpg

So there's 32 top RHD and he sits 14th.... :wub:

Edited by Baggins
  • Like 3
  • There it is 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is a fabulous player. We are so blessed to have a good GM again who can identify great D (like Gillis did with Errhoff and Hamhuis) and bring in these great players. Hronek was a steal. 

You forgot Ballard... :sick:

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It's actually called asset management.

?

What's the point of 'asset management' if you aren't building towards something?

Wings got lucky, they drafted Hronek using a 2nd round pick that turned into something of use. The 2 picks they received from Canucks may not turn into anything at all, and then its poor 'asset management'... ?

We picked Miller up for a 1st and and a 3rd. Lightning used  2 1st round picks and Namestikov + 2 prospects for McDonagh and Miller... Is that poor asset management by Lightning?

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Yes.... ahead of Seider, K.A.Miller, Ekblad, Chychrun, Larson... Would you be unhappy about a first and second for those players?

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually we would have to pay more, or (more likely) Hronek isn’t even available. Yzerman found out how valuable Hronek was to their club since gone. Add that to the Islanders’ pick being of lesser value now, at the cost to pry Hronek out of Detroit would be more than we could afford. Thank goodness Allvin made the deal when he did. 

Well, I sure hope you're right and time will tell.   We'll just have to hang tight and see what happens at draft time and in the summer at FA to see what RHD's are/will be available and their cost.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

So if there's 64 top pairing D 29th is in the top half of the league. But lets look at RHD...

RHD.thumb.jpg.9496432e829d7ef28903115f57027f11.jpg

Take away the players, who are close to retirement,

Karlsson 33

Burns 38

Pietrangelo 33

Carlson 33

Doughty 33

Letang 35

He suddenly sits 8th on the list of RHD. 

He may or may not work out in Vancouver, but he is ranking as a top player by any stat... And RHD at that level are gold.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

Well, I sure hope you're right and time will tell.   We'll just have to hang tight and see what happens at drfat time and in the summer to see what RHD's are/will be available and their cost.

RHDs at a good level are expensive...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dazzle said:

So what is your point you base your top 30 NHL D men buy points ? 

Can all these guys play PK- PP play very solid  defensive zone . Example Barrie not great defensive zone...

Most of these D men are playing with very good players that helps with there points? Did you look at Stats for Detroit players? Larkin and Perron so Hronek 3rd in points when trade was made?

Cant base who are best D men by points ? Scott Stevens was a top D men? I hope you think so..The all around game?

And so be it if Hronek is 29th best NHL player ?? Lets go with that? That means he would be a top # 1 D MAN ON SOME NHL TEAMS?????

How hard is it to find RD man  25 yrs old - Ranked 29th by points ?? Check out that stat for me please??

Sorry I said top 20 D man  for your case .. So 29th D man means he is still very good?????

Just now, wildcam said:

So what is your point you base your top 30 NHL D men buy points ? 

Can all these guys play PK- PP play very solid  defensive zone . Example Barrie not great defensive zone...

Most of these D men are playing with very good players that helps with there points? Did you look at Stats for Detroit players? Larkin and Perron so Hronek 3rd in points when trade was made?

Cant base who are best D men by points ? Scott Stevens was a top D men? I hope you think so..The all around game?

And so be it if Hronek is 29th best NHL player ?? Lets go with that? That means he would be a top # 1 D MAN ON SOME NHL TEAMS?????

How hard is it to find RD man  25 yrs old - Ranked 29th by points ?? Check out that stat for me please??

Sorry I said top 20 D man  for your case .. So 29th D man means he is still very good?????

Thanks..

So  Hronek 25 - Ranked 29th in points  and 14th best RD man that  sounds awesome to me..

Thanks Allvin, very good trade..

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

If that was Hronek at less than 100% we landed a real stud.

How he, Mikheyev and OEL bounce back next year will have a huge impact on our season.  

I have faith because our players are in a much more structured system and this is a huuuge offseason with Gonchar and Foote to really hammer down details. A simple structure change has made us a harder team to play against with 1/2 our dcorps being AHL guys. Plus missing some role players.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 3/31/2023 at 12:58 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Guys, Hronek was injured well before the trade and it wasn't a surprise to anyone. 

Why risk him playing through the shoulder injury when the four month summer break is upon us? 

If that's the thought process why did he average 24min a game over 4 games first?  Something isn't right here.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is a fabulous player. We are so blessed to have a good GM again who can identify great D (like Gillis did with Errhoff and Hamhuis) and bring in these great players. Hronek was a steal. 

I remember these posters on this site when Canucks traded for Miller ? You can't get a top 30 forward Miller W/C  for 2nd and 3rd rounders? cost 1st and 2nd..

Has Miller not be good 99 points last season and this season GP 74 - PTS 75 ? 

Same with Hronek 25 Top ranked 29th in points and Ranked 14th RD and not pay with 1st rounder and 2nd rounder. ..Thats what you pay?

First rounders don't always turn out? Canucks needed another top D man Hronek solid D man # 1 D man on some teams.

Also if you draft a 1st rounder 18 years old could be 3- 5 years before he is NHL ready.. Pettersson will be 25 in November and Hughes 24 October..

Hronek  RD - 25 solid NHL D man PK--PP and log 22--25 mins-- Hronek RD man there so hard to find makes trade that much better,,

21 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

If that's the thought process why did he average 24min a game over 4 games first?  Something isn't right here.

People were suggesting that we traded for Hronek without knowing that he was injured.  That's why I wanted to point out that it wasn't the case.  Everyone knew about the shoulder injury.  

26 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I have faith because our players are in a much more structured system and this is a huuuge offseason with Gonchar and Foote to really hammer down details. A simple structure change has made us a harder team to play against with 1/2 our dcorps being AHL guys. Plus missing some role players.

I’ve been waiting a few years for this team to take that big step.  

In the meantime it seems like we’ve improved the roster and our young stars have hit there prime as elite players.  I think this offseason Allvin / JR will make at least one more move to shore up the roster. 

On paper it looks like we should be solid playoff contenders.  Really hoping they come out of the gate strong and give themselves a chance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plaguez said:

Thing is, with injuries it's the injured person who can best determine where they're at in a return after rehab. Tests can only reveal so much and him playing was obviously cleared.

Sure, he could've"eased back" in but that wouldn't give a true picture of where he was at and he likely wanted to. Also, they may've still been shooting for that slim chance at playoffs. That's not going to happen so best to just let him coast. I'd suspect it's more of a preventative measure (as suggested by comments made by coaching staff) than a setback of any sort. They said they wanted him to get his shoulder "stronger" and so that'll be the focus. 

Doesn't mean he shouldn't have been logging heavy minutes....if he's good to go, he's good to go. If he's not, I doubt he would've be in at all.

It's just the wind down period now...so strengthening is the focus. 

25 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ve been waiting a few years for this team to take that big step.  

In the meantime it seems like we’ve improved the roster and our young stars have hit there prime as elite players.  I think this offseason Allvin / JR will make at least one more move to shore up the roster. 

On paper it looks like we should be solid playoff contenders.  Really hoping they come out of the gate strong and give themselves a chance.

If everything comes together next season, health, PK, goaltending…. This team has no problems scoring with the best. Our biggest issue has been the PK and goaltending. The last 2 seasons, being under 70% PK for so long destroyed any hopes. But right now our PK is dialled in and killing penalties at over 85% with all these “liabilities” nothing improved personnel wise on ice, only behind the bench and had we seen this PK the last 2 seasons, it wouldnt have mattered how our goaltending was, we’d be a playoff team. If you look back and see just how many games we lost on PK alone… its a substantial amount. Just on PK!!! So maybe this could be a blessing in disguise down the road, perhaps Lekkermaki takes a few years to develop and make the jump and whoever we draft this year in the 1st round also takes 3-5 years… this extends our window to win and at the height of our cores prime these new draftees will be making the jump on cheap deals to really put us over the top year in and year out. Im positively optimistic about the future and how soon we will solidify ourselves in the perennial contender talk. There are 26 teams older than ours… the flip is coming… and while everyone else is declining, there will only be a handful of young talented teams taking over.