The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Hronek shut down for the year

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That went right over your head, as you were too busy looking for gifs, I guess. My statement clearly stated (the use of air quotes is commonly applied in modern day nomenclature to bring a sense of irony to the usage of the word) that I don't separate fans into false and real fans. From those who believe in tanking for a high pick, to the pom pom waving cheerleaders, every one of them is a fan. The only one who can truly judge a fan's fandom is that fan themselves. 

Squint in you need to. 

ben carson t GIF

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Maybe Yzerman traded Hronek because of his health ?

I made this exact comment.

Yzerman in his time as Tampa GM did NOT trade stud players at key positions wanted across the league unless he knew he was getting a nice return while not harming his line up.  Whether it was due to redundancy, better options in the system or because he knew the player he was trading was either over performing or injured.

Look at his tenure as GM in Tampa and now in Detroit.  His trade history, who he traded and what happened to them after is very telling.

Hronek may in fact be an absolute stud and this may be precautionary.  but with our history of injured players and players with injuries I will do exactly what i said I would do when we traded him and that is wait and see if he comes back healthy and where those picks we gave Detroit land.

1 hour ago, BureBurrito said:

Did the team medical team mess up his assessment/return to the ice once again? They paid a lottery draft pick to get him and his health has to be priority.

The Canucks have a long and sordid history with incompetence in their medical staff. That or they're easily paid off.  I'll choose to be positive and since this is happening at the end of a pointless season, I'll just be happy we have him sit and know he'll be right as rain in fall. 

He'd better be though with what they paid for him from a stacked draft.  I think they overpaid for him, but I will still reserve judgment on him until 10 games or into next season.  He will have to play much much better than he's shown so far here.  Looks pretty dang average to me.  Like any dime a dozen 2-3 million dollar vet floating out there.  I'll chalk it up to more ineptitude or corruption in our medical staff, and he was allowed to play for a few games under 100%, in order for JR and PA and Tocchet to get a gander at him now to see how he might fit in for next season.  You won't last long as an NHLs teams doctor if you don't play along with dampening risk assessment if you see that your bosses really really really want a certain player back on the ice

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Really?  We barely saw him for a few minutes/game and he  certainly didn't look like he was worth throwing away 2 Super High Draft picks on - that we so desperately needed to restock our barren cupboards with - that have been depleted for years? 

He was average - at best - and looks like just another "Still-Man" type trade - so far.  I sure hope he's able to play at some point in the coming years - if he ever fully recovers - and doesn't turn into permanent "Damaged-Goods" fiasco.

Where was the "Due Dillegence" by JR & PA on this trade????

I disagree... 

Hronek looks awesome to me. Best RHD we've had in a decade... Better then Tanev IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Yzerman let us steal Hronek because he's a moron?

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

One of the best GM's in the NHL today? I think not. The guy built a contender in Tampa with smart moves and negotiating team friendly contracts 

Hear it straight from Stevie-Y.  

Feels that they are a bit behind teams like Buffalo and Ottawa in their rebuild and that's why he made the trade.