The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 02, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Well.

Not much clicked tonight. JT was doing his part...some of his set ups are so beautiful. Really deceptive because he can totally make it look like he's lining up a shot but then he makes a beautiful pass that catches the goaltender off guard and out of position. His usual half dozen hits or so.

Burroughs blocking shots like a warrior.

Turns out I'm going to all the home games this week...Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.

Guess I'll see this thing through. Go Canucks Go.

Your overly-positive fixation on Miller is getting scary, Deb. 

• Cheers 1

The only bright spot from this evening's game was the national anthem performance. The woman who sang the anthems this evening was the BEST anthem singing at a Canucks game in its entirety since the late great Richard Loney. CSE NEEDS to sign her up full-time. 

Tonight's loss signals an end to what I thought was one of the more tumultuous seasons since the late 90s - from at one time worst PK in history, most multi-goal leads surrendered,  BB's "there it is chants" and his public exit from the team, Bo's trade over all star weekend  - what haven't we seen?

Having gone through similar success from January last year, I still remain cautious but optimistic for this Fall but do hope we are trending the right way.  Hopefully continued hard work, accountability and proper systems can guide the team into next year.

With us mathematically out, maybe they will try a few new players with the remaining games - rather than wait for September when they should start to reinforcing systems to win some pre-season games. 

Personally I would like to see Petey get 100 pts, Huggy his 80 points or 70 assists. Guess all that remains is to see who to follow now for the playoffs -Kraken, Oilers or the Leafs.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
c

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Your overly-positive fixation on Miller is getting scary, Deb. 

JT was one of our best players on the night though. 

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We can’t catch Arizona or Montreal. Forget about them.

The best we can do now is move into the 7th slot.

I'd be happy staying in 8th. Certainly dont need anymore wins.

Hopefully its time to put the cue in the rack and coast on through until its time to go golfing.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Well.

Not much clicked tonight. JT was doing his part...some of his set ups are so beautiful. Really deceptive because he can totally make it look like he's lining up a shot but then he makes a beautiful pass that catches the goaltender off guard and out of position. His usual half dozen hits or so.

Turns out I'm going to all the home games this week...Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.

I’ve really enjoyed watching him play since the  TDL

I agree. even his assist tonight that shot placement looked very intentional to me and very deceptive to the goalie 

I’m really looking forward to having a healthy mikehyev with him next year 

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Well.

I’m trying not to be glib right now. 

I’ll try again tomorrow. :P

But, Miller played a decent game. I have so much less criticism now than I had months ago. 

The guy has certainly picked his ‘play’ and ‘leadership’ up exponentially over the course of this season. 

Why he couldn’t do that from the start baffles me. 

I still want his contract traded. I don’t necessarily want Miller as a cog of leadership, and producer, of this team gone. 

Miller’s value is, imo, at its height. 

I can reconcile his value for the next 2-4 years concerning caphit. No argument from me really. 

It’s the remaining ‘albatross’ years/caphit that is going to be hard to defend or accept. 

I loved Bieksa as much as you ‘love’ Millsy, so I ‘get it’. 

Juice got us into SCF. 

If Millsy can do something even close to that, then vindication is yours. 

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

This loss against L.A. is yet another perfect example why we need/ed a REBUILD.   For all the "dreamers" that say "we're close", after Tock-It took over, the facts are; that since the All-Star break, the Canucks have only managed to win against 4 teams (a total of 6 games) that are in a playoff position out of 27 Games.  Sad but True! 

The reality is we've been playing bottom-feeder teams for the last two months who are dedicated to tanking - unlike our "smart" team that appears great against those basement dwellers.  When it comes to playing good teams - we still can't compete with this same core group of players we've had for years.  We have a lonnnnnng way to go............

i was on team rebuild before too... but, first off, i've realized this owner will NEVER rebuild. Period. 

if by the smallest chance he decided to do so, i have very large doubts it would even be conducted properly and be more like a half-a*sed rebuild than anything.

secondly, 

you mention issues about compete level.. but what's the guarantee that the new rebuilt core will be able to compete better than this current group?

what if they also prove to have faults that we will find frustrating? what if they can't even win and have a "weak mentality"? 

then what? another rebuild again? 

i'm not so sure rebuild, rebuild, rebuild is the answer to everything.

Sure, when your core star players become 37,38 years old like the sedins did in 2017 then it's an obvious time for a (proper) rebuild as you literally are forced to do so because your core is retiring. 

Aquilini didn't properly do it when it was seriously needed then either. 

I didn't appreciate the fact that management (really ownership) was saying a rebuild "wouldn't be fair to the sedins" even leading up to their eventual retirement months later. Even then, they refused.

But we actually did kind of rebuild if you think about it in some ways too though.

We didn't do it voluntarily or properly ofc (not under Aquilini's watch) but we just s*cked a*s. 

We picked 5OA in 2016 (fail). Any re-draft would probably have Petey (5OA) at 1st/2nd Overall in 2017 if it wasn't for Makar, and Hughes (7OA) is arguably a top 3, 3OA calibre pick from his own 2018 class. Demko is in his prime age and obviously up and down this year but I'm optimistic he can bounce back next season. 

So to me, that's a 2nd overall pick and a 3rd overall pick, 24/23 year olds now, and (what should be) a young elite goaltender. 

I don't think you should just give up on players not in their prime yet with one being a 100pt player and another 80pt defenceman. 

IMO, it's a matter of restocking the supporting cast (DE-FENCE) and this management is trying to do that by signing young players, near ready/ready to play (ex. hirose). 

It will take time because of the absolute chaos benning and weisbrod committed, but I think we will eventually get there. 

I believe in this core. 

But if you don't... honesty you don't really have a choice now with this ownership lol.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe they knew they just got knocked out of contention.  Though I felt that EP40 didn't put in as much effort tonight as he has in previous nights.  I mean, he still make a couple of good plays tonight, but overall his game wasn't up to his usual standard.  Maybe he's still sulking from the bullshit call from last game?

I would think Petey sulking is not the case for his performance last night. Though I'm all in for the success of our Canucks, sometimes it just doesn't happen. Kings are a good team. I know we beat 'em last we played them before last night, but we didn't look good in that game either. They've got some grizzled playoff vets over there and have done well with their drafting and trades.

5 hours ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Tonight's loss signals an end to what I thought was one of the more tumultuous seasons since the late 90s - from at one time worst PK in history, most multi-goal leads surrendered,  BB's "there it is chants" and his public exit from the team, Bo's trade over all star weekend  - what haven't we seen?

Having gone through similar success from January last year, I still remain cautious but optimistic for this Fall but do hope we are trending the right way.  Hopefully continued hard work, accountability and proper systems can guide the team into next year.

With us mathematically out, maybe they will try a few new players with the remaining games - rather than wait for September when they should start to reinforcing systems to win some pre-season games. 

Personally I would like to see Petey get 100 pts, Huggy his 80 points or 70 assists. Guess all that remains is to see who to follow now for the playoffs -Kraken, Oilers or the Leafs.

Yea, man! You said it........Tumultuous describes well what went on this season. The comparo to the late '90s was spot on. Man, that was a difficult one to experience too. Though I was 25 years younger than I am now and not as chill as I am now. That whole Keenan/Messier was a fiasco of the highest magnitude!

As far as trying out new players? Yea. I'm totally down with that. Now I dunno how it affects the farm team, as far as them in the AHL payoffs an' all....But yea. Let's bring up, Karlsson, Bains, and Woo. 

Wooohooooooo!!!!!

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

............Sure, when your core star players become 37,38 years old like the sedins did in 2017 then it's an obvious time for a (proper) rebuild as you literally are forced to do so because your core is retiring. 

Aquilini didn't properly do it when it was seriously needed then either. 

I didn't appreciate the fact that management (really ownership) was saying a rebuild "wouldn't be fair to the sedins" even leading up to their eventual retirement months later. Even then, they refused.

But we actually did kind of rebuild if you think about it in some ways too though.

We didn't do it voluntarily or properly ofc (not under Aquilini's watch) but we just s*cked a*s. 

We picked 5OA in 2016 (fail). Any re-draft would probably have Petey (5OA) at 1st/2nd Overall in 2017 if it wasn't for Makar, and Hughes (7OA) is arguably a top 3, 3OA calibre pick from his own 2018 class. Demko is in his prime age and obviously up and down this year but I'm optimistic he can bounce back next season. 

So to me, that's a 2nd overall pick and a 3rd overall pick, 24/23 year olds now, and (what should be) a young elite goaltender. 

I don't think you should just give up on players not in their prime yet with one being a 100pt player and another 80pt defenceman. 

IMO, it's a matter of restocking the supporting cast (DE-FENCE) and this management is trying to do that by signing young players, near ready/ready to play (ex. hirose). 

It will take time because of the absolute chaos benning and weisbrod committed, but I think we will eventually get there. 

I believe in this core. 

But if you don't... honesty you don't really have a choice now with this ownership lol.

I'm one that hates harping on the past cuz' it's done and there ain't nuthin' you can do about it. But I'll play this time..........

It's my opinion that the efforts to maintain SC contention after 2011 was a dismal. Try as the did, the Gillis and JB terms did not make the big moves necessary to make it happen. Sadly, the Sedin twin prime years were wasted........aroo.....

This summer will be telling with regards to moves, trades, acquisitions and such. And even then, as I agree with you, it'll take a bit more later next, or after next season for us to contend.

Go Canucks Go.

Edited by Sativika

3 minutes ago, Sativika said:

I would think Petey sulking is not the case for his performance last night. Though I'm all in for the success of our Canucks, sometimes it just doesn't happen. Kings are a good team. I know we beat 'em last we played them before last night, but we didn't look good in that game either. They've got some grizzled playoff vets over there and have done well with their drafting and trades.

Yea, man! You said it........Tumultuous describes well what went on this season. The comparo to the late '90s was s[pot on. Man, that was a difficult one to experience too. Though I was 25 years younger than I am now and not as chill as I am now. That whole Keenan/Messier was a fiasco of the highest magnitude!

As far as trying out new players? Yea. I'm totally down with that. Now I dunno how it affects the farm team, as far as them in the AHL payoffs an' all....But yea. Let's bring up, Karlsson, Bains, and Woo. 

Wooohooooooo!!!!!

I'm one that hates harping on the past cuz' it's done and there ain't nuthin' you can do about it. But I'll play this time..........

It's my opinion that the efforts to maintain SC contention after 2011 was a dismal. Try as the did, the Gillis and JB terms did not make the big moves necessary to make it happen. Sadly, the Sedin twin prime years were wasted........aroo.....

This summer will be telling with regards to moves, trades, acquisitions and such. And even then, as I agree with you, it'll take a bit more later next, or after next season for us to contend.

Go Canucks Go.

Sedin prime years weren't wasted at all. That's 2008-2013.    The most successful seasons in club history.  2012 was tough ... the follow up was over before it started.   LA was the 8th seed and won the cup,  how many games did they lose again on the way?  Quick was unreal.    Their peak was two years ... half their careers they were PPG or close to it ... and the teams window was closing fast.    What they could have done instead is not re-sign them.   And worked around Kesler, but his body was also starting to fail, a result of his style of play (although he was a finalist for the Selke five years in a row or something like that).    MG was correct in his assessment - the team needed to rebuild.    By 33, the Sedins best days were over,  31 or 2012, was the last time they were PPG players, and their peak was 2009-2010, 2010-2011.   Something to consider about this current team too. 

Millers peak is right now.    EPs and QHs have a few years before they reach it...Naslund also had his best stretch 26/27-31 or so..   EPs already attained more earlier, same as QHs ... that's encouraging as well. 

• Like 1