The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 02, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ok, I think Gillis is over-rated on here. But, yikes.  I thought the Luongo contract didn't save enough money be worth it. Considering it only saved what $1-1.5 Million per.

Wow.

Gillis focused too much on trying to get cap hits down. It forced him to give out way too much term and NTC’s.

No reason Luongo couldn’t have been signed for 6 or 7 years at around 7 mil. Wouldn’t have hurt us that much cap wise and it would have been a much easier contract to move.

Ownership can take part of the blame on that one though. I think they were probably pushing for that stupid deal.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

I feel pretty comfortable in the way that we are finishing this season after the disastrous start that we had.  

We are going to play the young guys and Delia and hopefully remain in 8th from the bottom.  

We are going to get one more key piece with the 8th overall and have a 1 in 8 chance to move up to 1st or 2nd overall. 

Demko is back in his groove and coaching is settled. 

Looking forward to the summer! 

14 hours ago, mll said:

Can't see that being possible - would likely be considered cap circumvention with the risk of having fines counting against the cap and/or the loss of draft picks.

Myers side and the NHLPA would likely also fight it - there's a reason they wanted a late bonus payment.  They know it makes it then much harder to trade him as teams tend to use up their cap space early in free agency.

Yeah I think the legendary NBA player Kevin McHale - as a GM of Minnesota -  tried to do a stunt like that (basically an under the table agreement) but was so obvious from the outside the league stepped in and fined the TimberWolves like 4 or 5 first round picks (think the league gave back a pick or two but the damage was still devastating for that franchise).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gillis focused too much on trying to get cap hits down. It forced him to give out way too much term and NTC’s.

No reason Luongo couldn’t have been signed for 6 or 7 years at around 7 mil. Wouldn’t have hurt us that much cap wise and it would have been a much easier contract to move.

Ownership can take part of the blame on that one though. I think they were probably pushing for that stupid deal.

vs the previous GM who gave out too much term & NTC's at little cap savings to players.:ph34r:

We're better off without either guy as GM of the team.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Even Luongo said his contract sucked. ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not too mention retaining salary long-term on Luongo, Roy.  I'd also argue that giving away SOB for basically nothing also contributed to losing in 2011. Bottom line is that Gillis was a complete failure at every single aspect of the GM job and is easily the worst GM in the history of the franchise.

Woah tell us how you really feel haha.

Cannot deny he lead the organization to 5 Division titles in a row, 2 Presidents Trophys, 5 Playoff appearances. Brought in key players for the team during their success in Hamhuis, Samuelsson, Malhotra, even Ehrhoff brought in for nothing. Re-signed Burrows to a sick four year deal with a 2m AAV, re-upped the Sedins and while he kept Luongo a Canuck that was a mega big dollar too long of term contract. GM of the Year award helps his case too I suppose.

He did also bring in the likes of Ballard too so you can't win them all.

Essentially the core was near intact when Gillis came on board, he finished molding the club into one of the best teams we have seen in Vancouver over a what ? 3 season period or so. 

He did not put resources into the prospect pool and had some questionable trades but he was the right GM for this team and nearly pulled off the Cup win which would than have anyone speaking of him only being known as the best GM in Canucks history.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Woah tell us how you really feel haha.

Cannot deny he lead the organization to 5 Division titles in a row, 2 Presidents Trophys, 5 Playoff appearances. Brought in key players for the team during their success in Hamhuis, Samuelsson, Malhotra, even Ehrhoff brought in for nothing. Re-signed Burrows to a sick four year deal with a 2m AAV, re-upped the Sedins and while he kept Luongo a Canuck that was a mega big dollar too long of term contract. GM of the Year award helps his case too I suppose.

He did also bring in the likes of Ballard too so you can't win them all.

Essentially the core was near intact when Gillis came on board, he finished molding the club into one of the best teams we have seen in Vancouver over a what ? 3 season period or so. 

He did not put resources into the prospect pool and had some questionable trades but he was the right GM for this team and nearly pulled off the Cup win which would than have anyone speaking of him only being known as the best GM in Canucks history.

You also can't deny he completely destroyed the core built by qualified management wutg his gross incompetence.  He got lucky that Nonis got fired because he wouldn't make a stupid trade.  Unfortunately, Gillis lacked the integrity and the intelligence to do the same.

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Benning was never going to be here long enough to see this team win a cup or finish his vision. No GM would, not even your boy Gillis.

Benning was here to do the hard work, JR and PA are here to smooth out the edges and try to put the final touches. 

I can see it following the same trend as

Burke->Nonis->Gillis

However I feel like we have way more of the ground work laid down through drafting that it wont take nearly as much trading/signing to pull it off. So hopefully we’ll skip the Nonis phase and wind up with Gillis who executed the final touches perfectly. 

Looking back, I feel there was a green light to rebuild and there were moves to back that up. Moving 2 #1 goalies and your top shutdown, selke winning C a few years prior. Maybe not a full tear down rebuild like any American franchise would get the green light for, but a little deeper than a retool, but not deep enough for a rebuild, respectfully out of appreciation for the Sedins, not ending their careers in a full blown rebuild and crushing any hopes of a cup. We moved Bieksa as well, Burrows and Hansen…. The problem was we didnt have enough value in almost every trade to enhance the rebuild. Even if you want to argue that the trade for JT Miller, moving a 1st goes against a “rebuild” you’re wrong. He was 26, just entering his prime and fits with the core of this group, only a few years older and far from washed up. The JT trade was HUGE and he is the type of playoff warrior you need, his style is kind lf reminiscent of Kesler. We saw JT be a one man show for a full season, if we get to playoffs, he’s fully capable of going Kesler on Nashville.

We have a #1C and #2C an elite PMD and a star goalie. We are in far better shape in the long run than most organizations. Lets just be patient as a fan base and let the youth grow and take over the league. 

Miller came a few years too early… Benning was to full of himself to understand that.

Petey and Hughes had to fill up their costume before we should trade for players like Miller or Hronek.

Now they’re ready and we got an addition like Hronek.

But since Benning handicapped the future with his trades like Miller, Garland, OEL, Myers etc it is pretty hard for PA to go forward.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You also can't deny he completely destroyed the core built by qualified management wutg his gross incompetence.  He got lucky that Nonis got fired because he wouldn't make a stupid trade.  Unfortunately, Gillis lacked the integrity and the intelligence to do the same.

Get over it, Benning was worse than Gillis and that isn’t even close.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Get over it, Benning was worse than Gillis and that isn’t even close.

I never said Benning did a good job, but Gillis was one of the worst in the history of the league.  Only Mike Millbury was clearly worse than that imbecile.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I never said Benning did a good job, but Gillis was one of the worst in the history of the league.  Only Mike Millbury was clearly worse than that imbecile.

Agreed!! 

1 hour ago, Fakename70 said:

What “quick fixes” are those? You haven’t been awake during the obvious turn towards the younger prospects and late-20’s additions? It’s not like they’re plotting to add Erik Karlsson to address the blue line or comeback-minded Brandon Sutter for the bottom-6. 

And, don’t forget the Ace-in-the-hole in the form of the Miller card, either. Moving him this summer before the NMC kicks-in would definitely not be with a “quick fix” or stop-gap in mind. I don’t think the Rutherford-Allvin team is anywhere near as short-sighted as you implied. 

They have had 2 chances to trade JTM for reasonable returns and haven’t.  They were faced with the decision of Bo or JTm and made their choice. 
Trading him would be right choice if rebuilding more extensively but they have chosen the other direction. 
It is now about trying to turn a core that knows nothing but losing into a winner by moving pieces around in the margins (once they pay the price to clear some cap) and trying to scrape into the playoffs. 
Yes they have generally gone after younger veterans than the previous regime.  This has worsened the financial situation as they have gained another expensive winger and an injured defenceman that will be going into a contract year and was traded primarily because of his contract asks.  They also sound like they are planning more Benningesc moves in buying their way out of bad contracts with dead cap generating buyouts or trading more high draft pics. I bet we will see this or next years first traded this summer for cap reasons. All this to bid on more UFAs to fill big organizational holes created by doing exactly this under Benning, the cycle of mediocrity goes on. 
They have done a nice job of adding players for little to nothing but have demonstrated an inability to clear cap/roster spots and that will come to a head this summer as we are already over the cap for next year with an incomplete lineup. Desperation moves are on there way this off-season, and no Alf, an OEL buyout is not one of them. 

17 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

A good honest assessment of the game. Six defenseman out on injuries and not enough grind from the grinders. Dries 1 hit , Studnicka 2 hits, Di Giuseppe 1 hit, Aman 1 hit

Six hits each from Joshua and Miller though. 

No jump or energy generated by these guys, that's an issue, especially at home.

I am glad Tocchet sees this though and is going to make it an issue with this group. Unacceptable play moving forward.

• Cheers 1