The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] Tyler Myers to Philadelphia

6 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Why must we buy OEL out? I feel like that has more risk then giving him another year to try before making any decisions. The penalty with his buyout would hamper this team for such a long time. 

Meyers I think is moveable just due to how little money he will be owed plus only 1 year left. However, if we don't move him it isn't a big deal cause regardless only 1 more year left.  

Buying out OEL creates a definite result. We know exactly what cap space we create. If we keep OEL we are hoping (an unknown) he will play well enough to be at least in our bottom pair. That's a big risk. If OEL sits in the press box while another guys plays ahead of him that would be at least 8 million allocated to our bottom pairing. We could definitely allocate that cap (if we buyout OEL) to a top four guy. So even with the buyout cost we would have a top four D man instead of a bottom pairing guy. It's the sure way to improve our D. Keeping OEL is the risking move. 

Edited by Alflives
  • There it is 1

On 4/3/2023 at 11:56 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Rasmus Ristolainen

To Philadelphia:

Tyler Myers

Nils Hoglander

2024 3rd round pick

Philadelphia gave up even more for Risto then we did for Hronek.  But they are now in a rebuild I think.  Not sure if Ellis is ever coming back and a question mark for Couturier as well.  They might want to get rid of Risto and his $5.1 million contract with 4 years left and switch to Myers, who will be gone in a year, so they can free up the cap space 3 years earlier.  We give them Hoglander and a 3rd for the switch.

Ristolainen is a big, strong and physical Dman.  He can hit with the best of them.  I think Tocchet can turn this guy into an animal.  He's still only 28, so still in his prime years.  I'd play him with Hughes.  Risto used to log 26 minutes a night with Buffalo, so he can definitely eat up minutes.  He can also be on the first unit PK as well.

Hughes       Ristolainen

Gavrikov     Hronek

Soucy         Bear

Hirose        Schenn

Gavrikov, Soucy and Schenn are all signed as UFA's to complete the defence.  We now have some defensive Dmen to go along with our puck movers.  Hirose will make the Canucks as well...

So we trade and then sign three D men? 

Money ?????? 

I like Ristolainen and all but money seems not to work.

To Vancouver:

Rasmus Ristolainen

To Philadelphia:

Tyler Myers

Nils Hoglander

2024 3rd round pick

Philadelphia gave up even more for Risto then we did for Hronek.  But they are now in a rebuild I think.  Not sure if Ellis is ever coming back and a question mark for Couturier as well.  They might want to get rid of Risto and his $5.1 million contract with 4 years left and switch to Myers, who will be gone in a year, so they can free up the cap space 3 years earlier.  We give them Hoglander and a 3rd for the switch.

Ristolainen is a big, strong and physical Dman.  He can hit with the best of them.  I think Tocchet can turn this guy into an animal.  He's still only 28, so still in his prime years.  I'd play him with Hughes.  Risto used to log 26 minutes a night with Buffalo, so he can definitely eat up minutes.  He can also be on the first unit PK as well.

Hughes       Ristolainen

Gavrikov     Hronek

Soucy         Bear

Hirose        Schenn

Gavrikov, Soucy and Schenn are all signed as UFA's to complete the defence.  We now have some defensive Dmen to go along with our puck movers.  Hirose will make the Canucks as well...

Ristolainen is a downgrade on Myers. With 4 years left at 5.1. I'd way rather just let Myers contract run it's course than acquire Risto.

That said it's the final round of my work hockey pool to decide if I take 1st or 2nd so naturally I picked up Ristolainen. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Buyout OEL. Trade Myers. Trade Garland. 18 mil cleared. 

Why? Really only need to trade Brock and wait for Myers contract to run it's course. Should be enough cap space without it being so much that MGMT feel inclined to spend. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Why? Really only need to trade Brock and wait for Myers contract to run it's course. Should be enough cap space without it being so much that MGMT feel inclined to spend. 

True. We could do things that way but then we’re stuck with the risk of keeping OEL. 

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'd rather OEL than paying him what it would cost to not play for us just to go UFA shopping. 

OEL is a risk. He continues his current level and he’s in the press box. Then we need to play a league minimum guy in that spot. That’s 8 million allocated to a bottom pairing D spot. 

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OEL is a risk. He continues his current level and he’s in the press box. Then we need to play a league minimum guy in that spot. That’s 8 million allocated to a bottom pairing D spot. 

You're right we should buy out OEL and add Ristolainen for 10 million. 

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

What if his was dealing with an injury most of the season and the actual OEL is more like the guy we saw the first season he was here. Would you want to keep him then? 

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Buyout OEL. Trade Myers. Trade Garland. 18 mil cleared. 

That would be a peak Benning move. 

Buyout OEL, then trade a bad expiring deal for another bad deal with term attached.

f**k to the no on this one.

So, move an underperforming and overpaid player with only 1 year on his contract and a very low ACTUAL salary in return for a similarly underperforming and overpaid player in Risto. And in order to make this happen, we absorb a 3 *extra* years of Risto's salary, as well as a top prospect and a pick. 

I'm sorry, but I'm convinced your account is owned by either Daniel Briere or Jim Benning.

To Vancouver:

Rasmus Ristolainen

To Philadelphia:

Tyler Myers

Nils Hoglander

2024 3rd round pick

Hughes       Ristolainen

Gavrikov     Hronek

Soucy         Bear

Hirose        Schenn

if we can add garland to balance total money then that would be a win and I would make a small add like maybe like a player we are about to not sign Joni Jurmo?

To CBJ

Brock Boeser

Jack Rathbone

To VAN

Andrew Peeke

CBJ has Werenski, boquist, Jiricek, Gubranson and his big ass contract, I believe Jake Bean has also played on the right... I would say CBJ's biggest area of weakness positionally is right wing - Johnny and Laine are playing LW...

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

To CBJ

Brock Boeser

Jack Rathbone

To VAN

Andrew Peeke

CBJ has Werenski, boquist, Jiricek, Gubranson and his big ass contract, I believe Jake Bean has also played on the right... I would say CBJ's biggest area of weakness positionally is right wing - Johnny and Laine are playing LW...

If they would throw in Kuraly I'm down.  I don't think Peeke alone is worth more than a 55 point Boeser who's scoring about as much as usual.

Caps want to move Mantha, is there a Myers for Mantha swap out there? Mantha has been bad for the Caps but imagine if he turns it on with us.

If we could snag Alexeyev or Ioro by packaging Rathbone that'd be ideal.

Myers + Rathbone for Mantha + Alexeyev

Then we shed Garland and maaaybe even Beauvillier too. 

Hughes - Alexeyev

Graves - Hronek

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

Yeah i gotta agree with the other comments on this being OEL 2.0 - Failure has followed Risto wherever he goes like a bad smell - would avoid at all costs and that cap hit is Brutal.

Speaking of the flyers I wonder what it would take to get Provorov from them. They gotta be thinking full rebuild now looking at that core, there's not a lot to like and Prov is 26 now, fits the style that management say they wanna play and is Russian which seems to the be new Swedish in these parts.

Not really sure where his value is as his stock seems to have plateaued along with that whole teams. 11th 2023 + Myers still looks like an overpayment to me and they will clearly want picks or bluechips if there are gonna move on from him.

Best case scenario is move Myers out for minimal cost (either retain 50%) or pay a lower pick for the whole salary (unlikely)

Second best scenario is let his contract naturally run out and trade him at the TDL for any return

Worst scenario is trading him for another project who is signed on for another 3-4 years. I value the $18 mil extra cap over three years we get from letting Myers expire naturally over whatever Risto Brings + 6 mil over 3 years cap savings