The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrey Michkov, father of top 2023 NHL Draft prospect Matvei Michkov, found dead

Rate this topic

Pretty rough for an 18 year old to deal with, especially months prior to the draft. Father won't see his son drafted or his future grandchildren

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/whats-at-stake-tonight-will-clock-strike-midnight-for-washington-capitals

https://www.sportskeeda.com/ice-hockey/news-who-matvei-michkov-s-father-andrei-top-prospect-s-dad-found-dead-mysterious-circumstances

https://www.sportskeeda.com/ice-hockey/matvei-michkov-s-father-passes-away-nhl-twitter-offers-condolences-this-awful-losing-father-months-set-drafted

matvey-michkov-3.webp.c262ae5f042466fb41e90fc20db0665a.webp

"Andrei Michkov was just 51 years old at the time of his death. He was a devoted father who raised Matvei and gave him a solid start in life. His sudden and tragic death is a huge loss to the Michkov family, who are mourning the loss of a wonderful person."

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Sad 6
  • Huggy Bear 1

My Dad died when I was 18. It's devastating at that age.

I wonder if he had enemies within the federation. There seems to be a lot of Russians dieing in mysterious ways. I read an article recently that the Russian sports federation was going to disallow athletes playing in/for other countries. I put it down as anti Putin propaganda, but who knows.

• Huggy Bear 3

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, I feel so bad for him.  I lost my daddy too.  :sadno:

After seeing this, I now am 100% fully supportive of the Russian players in whatever choices they make.  And this should be a wakeup call to those who think there is "no threat".

It's easy to assume this was a case of a Russian man being "disappeared" but that seems a little premature at this point in time. Has Matvei done or said anything to put his family in jeopardy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

It's easy to assume this was a case of a Russian man being "disappeared" but that seems a little premature at this point in time. Has Matvei done or said anything to put his family in jeopardy?

His father was found in a pond.  That doesn't happen every day.  It could very well be just a random event, but the thing is we don't know.  

I haven't heard or read anything about Matvei doing or saying something anti-Putin.  But we don't know anything about his father and his views on the war, etc...

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Maybe he was not “disappeared”, but it sounds like he was a victim of foul play. It’s tragic either way and I feel bad for the kid and his family and friends. I’m not suggesting you don’t btw. I just wanted to express my own condolences. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, I feel so bad for him.  I lost my daddy too.  :sadno:

After seeing this, I now am 100% fully supportive of the Russian players in whatever choices they make.  And this should be a wakeup call to those who think there is "no threat".

Sorry to hear that amigo... :(

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  If I was Russian and my family was still in Russia, I'd do everything I can to keep them safe.  Even if that means I don't wear a pride jersey during a warmup skate.

Absolutely... Its blown way out of proportion.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sad news. Hopefully, he gets a loud cheer from everyone in the building when he's drafted. It's going to be an emotional moment for sure.

Hmmmm "in the building when he's drafted??? Like per say in Nashville?? The type of event that He and "His family" might attend?  Canucks seem to have always been trend setters.

Mogilny provided a lot of firsts during his career: first Russian player to defect from the Soviet Union, first non-North American to lead the NHL in goals (with Selanne) and the first Russian named to the NHL All-Star Team (1992).

• Vintage 2

Oh man, that's very sad news :(

I have this weird feeling that Michkov might be available to us at #8. I'd love to draft him. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Matvei Michkov: “Family love will overpower important movements in certain situations”…

I mean that’s a big reach to connect those two…

There is a war going on there. Maybe he was anti war or anti Putin.

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean that’s a big reach to connect those two…

There is a war going on there. Maybe he was anti war or anti Putin.

True.  But the thing is we just don’t know. Another Russian player on Montreal didn’t wear the jersey tonight.  This is not just a coincidence now.  This is a pattern.  Between the individual Russian players that have refused to wear a pride jersey combined with the several teams with high profile Russian players that canceled the jersey wearing altogether, this tells me there is a legitimate threat happening in Russia that we aren’t privy to.