The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST (10PM EST) Saturday April 8, 2023, Rogers Arena ... Tame the Flame Game

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

Will The Canucks Make the Playoffs Next Year?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think people get swayed by how hard he battles but don't realize how often he loses the puck or plays die on his stick. Defensively he's almost non-existent from what I see and can't win body position against bigger, well just about any opponent.

He loses body position but comes out with the puck though. I don't care how he does it, whatever works for him. 

Big guys will win the body position and then end up in a stalemate on the boards trying to start the cycle again.  Garland will take the puck away and rifle it cross ice for a grade A chances. 

5 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I'd rather a W.

Last home game of the season vs a rival. Plus we could do some damage to the Flames playoff hopes and that would be super sweet in a season that has been full of controversy and disappointment. 

I said it in the other thread.  I dont care about such petty victories that we will forget the next morning.  I care about getting a real shot at a lottery pick who will play for this team for the next 10 years.

19 minutes ago, mll said:

He has to submit an updated list for 1 July - if he doesn't then it's the list of this season that remains in force.  

It's apparently 15 September for his bonus payment per Dhaliwal who verified with his agent.  It's really close to the start of training camp and it's rare for trades to be made that late in the off-season. 

…. I think I’ve just realized what the abbreviation ,  “mll” stands for ;) 

your goldstar, regardless. :) 

36 minutes ago, nopROBlemo said:

Your going to the game right. Boo him every chance you get. I hope he's fair in calling the game so it doesn't sour your (and all Canucks fans) evening.

Oh there will be tonnes of complaining fair or not. The league fixes games against the Canucks didn't you know?

8 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I said it in the other thread.  I dont care about such petty victories that we will forget the next morning.  I care about getting a real shot at a lottery pick who will play for this team for the next 10 years.

who will "possibly" play for...

We may forget these victories but they go a long way for a team that wants to restore their reputation and shed the "easy to play against" narrative.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

who will "possibly" play for...

We may forget these victories but they go a long way for a team that wants to restore their reputation and shed the "easy to play against" narrative.

*Possibly go a long way for a team that wants to restore their reputation

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He loses body position but comes out with the puck though. I don't care how he does it, whatever works for him. 

Big guys will win the body position and then end up in a stalemate on the boards trying to start the cycle again.  Garland will take the puck away and rifle it cross ice for a grade A chances. 

This my pet peeve with Garland actually. He's like a parlor trick. You can wind him up and he crashes and bangs against the opposition and somehow retains the puck on the boards only to rifle a horrible 5 degree angle shot/cross on net which usually ends up with the opponent on a 3 on 2. Unfortunately I differ on my assessment I find the chances are grade C or D.

Usually I like smaller players and I'm not dead set against them like some. I loved Ronning and even though Theo Fleury was a flame he was a treat to watch. Martin. St. Louis was special, Gaudreau I'll admit is pretty damn good even though I don't like him. However I find Garland initiates too much contact (which is admirable in itself I must say), however smaller players are most effective when they use their speed and smarts to keep one or two steps ahead of the opponent, not continually engage in contact. Defensively I find him non-existent. He also doesn't PK. Nothing against him personally but he's one player I hope we move on from. When push comes to shove I worry about his worth.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This my pet peeve with Garland actually. He's like a parlor trick. You can wind him up and he crashes and bangs against the opposition and somehow retains the puck on the boards only to rifle a horrible 5 degree angle shoot/cross on net which usually ends up with the opponent on a 3 on 2. Unfortunately I differ on my assessment I find the chances are grade C or D.

Usually I like smaller players and I'm not dead set against them like some. I loved Ronning and even though Theo Fleury was a flame he was a treat to watch. Martin. St. Louis was special, Gaudreau I'll admit is pretty damn good even though I don't like him. However I find Garland initiates too much contact (which is admirable in itself I must say), however smaller players are most effective when they use their speed and smarts to keep one or two steps ahead of the opponent, not continually engage in contact. Defensively I find him non-existent. He also doesn't PK. Nothing against him personally but he's one player I hope we move on from. When push comes to shove I worry about his worth.

I agree with much of what you have said, but there are 2 things missing.  The first, is that Garland is a good

passer, which is really all you needs to do.  Pete will take over from there.  The second is that he draws a lot

of penalties, which gives his team a chance to score (if they're up to it):rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I agree with much of what you have said, but there are 2 things missing.  The first, is that Garland is a good

passer, which is really all you needs to do.  Pete will take over from there.  The second is that he draws a lot

of penalties, which gives his team a chance to score (if they're up to it):rolleyes:

Yeah one poster maybe @Elias Pettersson, @hammertime (I think it's him), or maybe @Junkyard Dog, has stated several times that he draws the highest rate of penalties on our team and one of the best in the league. This is definitely a very strong asset so I'll definitely tip my hat there. He also can play with a lot of passion. I just don't know if it's enough to keep him around at $5 mil when we're cap tight.

Garland is a very good passer I will also admit which is part of the problem with him. He belongs on the top two lines yet no coach we've had keeps him there permanently (that in itself says something). He ends up on the third line continually where he is invisible for long stretches, we're not talking periods but games. I just don't know if he's capable of being effective against top line players in a 7 game series due to his size.

I don't dislike Garland but sometimes you're forced to make choices. I would rather have Mikeyhev or Kuzmenko myself if asked to choose. I'm on the fence between him and Boeser. Boes does have the size, shot, and PP ability but Garland tries way harder. If I were in charge I'd get rid of both though. :P

Anyways, Go Canucks. Win, lose, it matters not to me but I would love to win one of the lotteries/draft a stud player.

Should be a helluva game though no matter what one hopes for.

• Vintage 1