The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser named Bill Masterton Trophy nominee

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I wonder who wins this, can't think of any other massive stories this year off the top of my head....

Kris Letang is surely up there but not sure it counts if he's not playing or going to have to retire, and Kessel's in there but he's won it before.

Doubt Brock wins it but deserves the league-wide mention. He's really battled on and off the ice the last couple of years. 

To his credit he's looked good under Tocchet, his defensive game is much cleaner and he's a staple on our 2nd line now. Much harder to move him than Beauvillier or Garland who aren't contributing as much. 

I just know Brock is going to break out, whether it be as a Canuck hopefully, or elsewhere, I thought it'd be this year but then the whole team stunk under Bruce. Maybe...next year?

• Cheers 2

Some here have been really tough on Brock. I admit, even I was on board with trading him but in fully understanding what he was feeling I can do nothing but be in his corner and support him. He's a class act and we're lucky to have him...as he adjusts, he seems to be finding his game again. I sure hope he succeeds.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Some here have been really tough on Brock. I admit, even I was on board with trading him but in fully understanding what he was feeling I can do nothing but be in his corner and support him. He's a class act and we're lucky to have him...as he adjusts, he seems to be finding his game again. I sure hope he succeeds.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone said he’s a bad person, but rather he may need a change of scenery, so he can be closer to his family, which is completely understandable.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Yeah, I don’t think anyone said he’s a bad person, but rather he may need a change of scenery, so he can be closer to his family, which is completely understandable.

Well there's at least one (I won't name names Eddie Vedder) who thinks he's an absolute bust and vocalizes something negative every single time he's on the ice. So I hope he digests a bit of this and maybe goes a little easier on him, considering what he was going through. A tough time for sure. Patience is sometimes required and I'm glad that the team seemingly has been supportive in seeing him through this difficult ordeal.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

he has had a bit of a resurgence under Toc

Yes his wrists are gone and the shot is just above average, sadly no longer all world, but he has found away to be an offensive contributor

my wish for him is to be traded wherever he likes best... for a good return, if he truly wants to stay in Van, I hope he gets to and we move on from garland, beauvellier, Myers and fish upon my wish - OEL (buy him out)

• Cheers 1

I am seeing a little more quickness from Boeser lately... I think perhaps he has shed some pounds and leaned down.

At his season starting weight, he was not fat, but he did have extra weight which was unnecessary.

He is a solid player on his feet anyway, and if he drops down to 200 lbs, he would still be a force in the corners and on the forecheck while gaining that extra quickness which would allow him to win more of the foot races which he tends to lose now.

He understands the game well, he knows how to pass and use his linemates, and his defensive positioning has improved, he has a good eye for deflections and his shot is decent, if not to the level it used to be.  If he can just get a little more jump, then he could come back to being a reliable 65 point forward who can put 25 goals up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I am seeing a little more quickness from Boeser lately... I think perhaps he has shed some pounds and leaned down.

At his season starting weight, he was not fat, but he did have extra weight which was unnecessary.

He is a solid player on his feet anyway, and if he drops down to 200 lbs, he would still be a force in the corners and on the forecheck while gaining that extra quickness which would allow him to win more of the foot races which he tends to lose now.

He understands the game well, he knows how to pass and use his linemates, and his defensive positioning has improved, he has a good eye for deflections and his shot is decent, if not to the level it used to be.  If he can just get a little more jump, then he could come back to being a reliable 65 point forward who can put 25 goals up.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing any of that, yet he still gets first line minutes. His shot isn't anywhere near where it was when he was a rookie or a sophomore. That was his bread and butter.

44 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing any of that, yet he still gets first line minutes. His shot isn't anywhere near where it was when he was a rookie or a sophomore. That was his bread and butter.

There is a bit more hustle from Brock. Before, he would give up on plays too easily and the puck would disappear from that offensive zone. It's not 100 percent better than before, but there is a noticeable jump.

I honestly believe Brock will light it up next year. I bet he knows exactly what he needs to work on this summer.