The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Nope. Your opinion is off. JR/PA are building a team like the ones Gillis did. Some fans, like yourself, may not like how they do things, but the team will be way better for those choices. 
Schenn is a great guy and leader. Love to have him back, but on our third pairing. 

Team had a great core before JR and crew showed up. Biggest addition was Kuz, who has been treated unfairly. 

Tocchet has the easiest job in the NHL. DIdn't get his position based on credentials.

Hope they sell the team before we lose this window of great players. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Team had a great core before JR and crew showed up. Biggest addition was Kuz, who has been treated unfairly. 

Tocchet has the easiest job in the NHL. DIdn't get his position based on credentials.

Hope they sell the team before we lose this window of great players. 

Two time cup winner as an assistant isn’t enough credentials?

I guess Woodcroft, Montgomery, Lalonde, Evason, and Lambert aren’t qualified either?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

My takeaways from all this nonesense:

1) JT and Petey aren't really "friends" and probably don't have anything in common but good to see them have success on the ice lately. Two very different types of leaders, a lot like the Sedins and Kesler. It was a bit awkward when Miller was asked how their relationship was...

2) Miller is a veteran now and speaks so well with great insight into his own game, he's the most natural captain or outspoken leader for the team but that's a strange direction to go in for a younger team. Petey really didn't say much or anything too deep. Quinn piped up a lot, had some decent insight though.

3) Hughes really has a good pulse on the game and other players around the league, rattling off other player's +/- from years ago like common knowledge. You can tell he lives hockey, I'd take him over Petey as captain. He really has become a leader in the last couple of months. 2nd in the league in points only behind Karlsson who probably can't replicate that season, we're looking at a guy in his prime who should start getting Norris consideration.

4) The guys want to be and play here, JT and Brock really don't want to be traded, that's pretty obvious. Even guys like Garland and OEL sound like they want to stay here.

5) Sounds like they're all mentally exhausted and look forward to time off, and the coaching change really hit them hard as they all mentioned it. With so many distractions around the team (Pearson's injury, BB fired) no wonder they were in such a slump at the time, but as soon as things settle they start playing better.

6) A few guys said they expected last season's strong end to carry on and took it for granted a little bit, so hopefully we won't see this again next year.

7) A lot of guys said that the coaches are brilliant and have helped round out their defensive game which is nice to hear.

On the whole, nothing crazy but interesting to see how the leadership group is evolving. Everyone assumed Petey would be captain but I wonder if he'd prefer taking a back seat and just quietly produce for us. I'd consider giving it to Miller but don't think he needs a letter to dictate his leadership. Right now I wonder if Hughes is the best pick, or if they continue rolling with just A's next year. The players seem very similar to the 2011 leadership group (Hank = Hughes, Danny = Petey, Kesler = Miller, OEL = Edler).

Very good recap 

I highly recommend checking out Ethan Bear's 1 on 1 interview that he did after...  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central/exclusive-interviews-with-quinn-hughes-and-ethan-bear/

Fast forward to 9 minutes for Ethan Bear's part 

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Pettersson often pauses to think of what to say, Hronek is obviously not a good English speaker. But maybe not so much here  but on Facebook omg people were like oh man these guys have terrible personalities or they aren't happy to be here.

Or maybe they aren't comfortable public speaking in a language that isn't their native tongue 

This is semantics but you don't have to be a perfect speaker to be fluent.  I think there will be very few things Pettersson can't articulate.  Maybe he thinks before speaking but I dont think he ever misspeaks.  I also think that's just his speaking style, even in Swedish - low energy.  You can be a confident speaker without being terrible with the language.  Kuzmenko is a perfect example

Hronek might not be as comfortable but I think you have to put him out there.  All our European players are too important not to speak.

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

what's his head coaching record? is he the best guy we could have got? how many did they interview? 

Are you serious? 

If you have a vision you don’t go out and interview a hundred coaches.

You talk to a few that seems to have similar ideas how to be a coach. And why would JR tell wich he talked to? That is not any good for the business.

A headhunter knows what to do and it’s not a hard job if you got the brains for it.

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

Buying out OEL is an awful move that is basically only helpful for next year.  Even if they waited for one more year, the cap savings for the next 3 would be greater and the dead cap at the end would be lower.  The dead cap would also end one year sooner. 

An incredibly short-sighted move if they do it.  

Minny bought out two guys, who were preventing the team from moving forward. Now that club is looking much better than before. The only cost certain move is to buyout OEL. Otherwise it’s hoping he can return to at least a bottom pairing player. 

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It is a tad depressing we need a glorified babysitter for a coach. Especially considering the player that benefited the most from Tocchet is a 30 year old we kind of expect to be a leader. But, yeah. I am not here to argue Boudreau as a better fit for us. I just don't like when people get wrongfully dragged through the mud. Boudreau is a good coach, bad fit for us. Our roster was such a mess Tocchet publicly said they need to learn the basics of defending. At the NHL level. Lol.

Also an interesting thing I took away from the media presser was how many players referenced not just Tocchet, but the entire coaching staff. Multiple players mentioned Gonchar and Foote by name, can't recall a time the coaching staff was referenced by name by players instead of just a blanket "the coaching staff is good." Definitely an interesting coaching dynamic we have. I appreciate the fact the entire coaching staff is carrying their weight and it's being noticed by players.

That is friggin' hilarious. Imagine that? A journeyman hockey playing in the best league in the world having to learn the basics of defending?

What a crock! Especially when some of them are making 6 mil or more a year. 

I just find it absolutely ridiculous that it should even be an issue at this level. 

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

what's his head coaching record? is he the best guy we could have got? how many did they interview? 

I’m pretty sure JR hired Tortorella’s assistant (Sullivan) to be the Pittsburgh HC. They won two Cups with him being a lot like Tocchet is right now.  Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar know what they are doing and what it takes to win. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It is a tad depressing we need a glorified babysitter for a coach. Especially considering the player that benefited the most from Tocchet is a 30 year old we kind of expect to be a leader. But, yeah. I am not here to argue Boudreau as a better fit for us. I just don't like when people get wrongfully dragged through the mud. Boudreau is a good coach, bad fit for us. Our roster was such a mess Tocchet publicly said they need to learn the basics of defending. At the NHL level. Lol.

Also an interesting thing I took away from the media presser was how many players referenced not just Tocchet, but the entire coaching staff. Multiple players mentioned Gonchar and Foote by name, can't recall a time the coaching staff was referenced by name by players instead of just a blanket "the coaching staff is good." Definitely an interesting coaching dynamic we have. I appreciate the fact the entire coaching staff is carrying their weight and it's being noticed by players.

IMHAO Bruce would be the ideal coach for the Flames. They’d go from hard nosed Sutter to happy, play free-wheeling, Bruce. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO Bruce would be the ideal coach for the Flames. They’d go from hard nosed Sutter to happy, play free-wheeling, Bruce. 

I agree with this....even if he's not courted by them, the way that coaches are dropping like flies around the league lately, BB still has a good chance of being pried away from his TV gig yet again lol.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What’s Boudreau’s coaching record? How did he do?

What is Laviolette’s head coaching record? How did he do?

Looking at a head coaching record is such a limited way to look at it.

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

That is friggin' hilarious. Imagine that? A journeyman hockey playing in the best league in the world having to learn the basics of defending?

What a crock! Especially when some of them are making 6 mil or more a year. 

I just find it absolutely ridiculous that it should even be an issue at this level. 

A guy like Kuz, with his elite skills and playing in Russia might not have ever had to learn to play the right for our hockey. We need guys who will play in straight lines and force the other team into contact or they have to move off their lines. Kuz will help us win more when he’s learned and is fully committed to playing the right way. In the O-zone Tocchet will allow Kuz to be creative, but still wants him to be aware of the game situation and be smart with the puck. I’m hoping the Twins spend time with Kuz. Those two were possession beasts in the O-zone. 

Just now, Alflives said:

A guy like Kuz, with his elite skills and playing in Russia might not have ever had to learn to play the right for our hockey. We need guys who will play in straight lines and force the other team into contact or they have to move off their lines. Kuz will help us win more when he’s learned and is fully committed to playing the right way. In the O-zone Tocchet will allow Kuz to be creative, but still wants him to be aware of the game situation and be smart with the puck. I’m hoping the Twins spend time with Kuz. Those two were possession beasts in the O-zone. 

I was referring to our "defensemen," but it's true, all of our players, including forwards need to be defensively responsible. 

Kuzmenko should be fine. He really hasn't been a liability, and you definitely don't want to constrain his offensive ability. 

That would be beyond dumb if RT starts playing favorites. 

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What was Kuzmenko's comment during the pressor when asked about the biggest dif between the NHL and the KHL? I believe he said the speed. The NHL is much faster than the KHL. 

I realize fans have to have something to talk about until draft day. Turning RT into another bum coach is an option I guess. I highly doubt there is a big problem between RT and Kuz. What player in his right mind would not want to play on Petey's wing? Allvin has some nice options for next year as far as wingers for Petey. I understand Tocchet's belief that Petey needs a big winger for puck recovery. Kuz gives him some speed, finesse and a net presence at times. If Kuz doesn't pick up his man then Petey will not be as aggressive as he falls back to backcheck. It is a learning process. Between Gonchar, Podz and Mik they will figure it out.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wow...does CDC want Benning and Green back then?

I hate RT, think he was a scumbag player and probably not a great have man being.  But I said I would be open minded of he could come in and institute a good defensive system and get buy in, and he has.  For that, I am happy.

• Like 1