The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

37 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Where I see a slight contradiction is that on one hand, Petey says he just wants to win, and be on a winning team, and on the other hand, he sounds like he’s waiting a year further to get as much as he can from the Canucks. There is a correlation between cap-friendly deals and winning. I’m not saying Petey shouldn’t get a generously fair contract, but why would he hinder the Canucks chances of acquiring and affording high calibre teammates by waiting another year on signing anything?

Great point. The Toronto model hasn’t worked out, and the cup was just won by a team without a bona fide Superstar. Eichel made 12.12% of the cap last season. If the cap goes up to $87.5M, the equivalent salary is $10.6M. 

Edited by Ted Lasso

54 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Where I see a slight contradiction is that on one hand, Petey says he just wants to win, and be on a winning team, and on the other hand, he sounds like he’s waiting a year further to get as much as he can from the Canucks. There is a correlation between cap-friendly deals and winning. I’m not saying Petey shouldn’t get a generously fair contract, but why would he hinder the Canucks chances of acquiring and affording high calibre teammates by waiting another year on signing anything?

I've talked about this a bunch... when you're going to make $100M+ over your career, why squeeze a team for every last possible dollar when it only decreases your chance of building a good, balanced roster that has a shot at a cup?

I blame agents :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I feel like a lot of this is just JP Barry calling the shots.

Guy can’t do a negotiation without turning it into a big media circus.

Guarantee they’re waiting out Matthews and his camp before thinking about signing. That contract will bring the ceiling for contracts up.

Well after all its his job, to take care of his clients interest first and foremost. 
I owners had always been paying players, what they are worth, there would never have been a reason to use agents. 

I think you are spot on... They will probably wait until the market has been set by Matthews. 

They may still be too far apart, for Petwy to bite. 

Canucks have 2, maybe 4 contracts that will set the tone for this franchise. Petey and QH being the top ones. Kuz and Demko being the other 2. 

Both parties knows that, so its a matter of how interested is Petey in staying v how badly does Alvin want him to stay...

Fear it can go both ways, but most likely he stays. 

I personally think this is great, Petey is going to walk into that locker room and motivate this Vancouver team.

Not by using words or hype he is basically letting the team know "hey if you want me to stay WIN and that is all it will take"

Most likely they have the team now and the administration to do it, just don't stumble out of the starting gate again.

GCG

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

I personally think this is great, Petey is going to walk into that locker room and motivate this Vancouver team.

Not by using words or hype he is basically letting the team know "hey if you want me to stay WIN and that is all it will take"

Most likely they have the team now and the administration to do it, just don't stumble out of the starting gate again.

GCG

I would contend that they MUST be over .500 ten games in to the season to have a shot at playoffs. It’s such an uphill struggle to recover from a bad start. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Can you imagine if he didn't get off to a great start and got injured, what would you be paying him then to resign (without knowing how his recovery went)?

Maybe his agent has made this point and he will still sign (before 20 games played)

Have people forgotten EP's last contract singing . Just same old same old . He will get paid very well and be here , the question is only how long the contract will last for ? I hope he has a Great year gets extra money and signs 8 year deal !

Canuck management also has the responsibility to be fiscally sound, paying any player 12 mill is simply too much in this market, in this city.

Sure a few players in the NHL managed to get that number but Vancouver managment is too smart and savvy to pay that much. Anything more than 10.5 is a hard no, in the past many owners have an internal cap on per player spend and I think it's normal.

Anyone who exceeds that value can be traded and assets used to replicate production, its a fair fix to have 2 5 mill players who together can generate more points (102) than betting EP can do alone. Trade him move him. No one is getting 10.5+ in Vancouver again I think we are too smart to let that happen and we doing our part to fight greed and prevent precedent of higher salaries.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter when or how. Obviously to quell our anguish, sooner rather than later. But we gotta sign this kid. He's the real deal. Off to a bad start? So what. It happens to the best of 'em. Injury? It happens. And quite frankly, none of that has happened  yet. Now is the time and the future looks bright. Do it P.A.!!!!!

1 hour ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

GCG

Great take.  If he remains unsigned, he'll have a chance to lead by example in a contract year. 

• Cheers 1

Petey will sign long term. He can see this teams potential. There is zero doubts about this teams ability to score. Scoring is the hardest thing to teach, you either have it or you dont. WE HAVE IT. You can teach defence, yes it helps if you have guys who naturally can read plays and disrupt offence, but ultimately you can teach the main principles of D. Take away lanes, force guys to the outside, tie guys up, This reminds me of 07-08 a high end up and coming roster that missed playoffs but had all the right pieces and almost all the same pieces that went to a game 7 SCF. We are young, we are talented, we have an elite player in Pettersson, Hughes and Demko, we have great supporting skilled players around them and we have a lot of heart and guys who want to prove the league and this fanbase wrong about last season. We just need time for physical maturity and guys to find their groove and adjust to systems and linemates/dpartner tendencies and habits. These kids are ultimately still learning the NHL. For example, Pettersson took an extended summer in 2021-22 and showed up to camp last minute, had a horrendous start and took over half the season to catch fire. Last summer? Petey was here early and was a god damn animal from the first puck drop of the season til the last buzzer of the season. Things are coming together for this core. Have some bloody patience and stop panicking. 
JBs impact on this soon to be contending roster = virtually Burke+Nonis on 2010-11

Allvin hopefully = Nonis+Gillis impact on 2010-11
and hopefully all together = Lord Stanley’s cup this time ‘round

If you really take a few moments to break it all down and see the impact of JB+Allvin

its nearly identical to that of Burke+Nonis+Gillis

The thing was it took several years for that 2010-11 core to really put it all together.

Well, with Matthews signing. Petey's number potentially went up. Yes Matthews was a pending UFA. But Petey isn't far off. He can go to arbitration next summer and become a UFA the year after. Matthews is not on Petey's two way level, and Petey also had as many goals and way more points this year. I think Petey can be a consistent 40 goal, 100 point guy with good two way play. 12mil for Petey isn't an unreal ask at this point.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

18 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Well, with Matthews signing. Petey's number potentially went up. Yes Matthews was a pending UFA. But Petey isn't far off. He can go to arbitration next summer and become a UFA the year after. Matthews is not on Petey's two way level, and Petey also had as many goals and way more points this year. I think Petey can be a consistent 40 goal, 100 point guy with good two way play. 12mil for Petey isn't an unreal ask at this point.

Yep. I think Petey's camp was waiting to see what AM would get from the Leafs.

I'd expect similar term at between 11 and 12 mil.....