The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

not really.. after factoring in exchange rate.. majority of the stuff in US still cost less.. a lot less.. gas is cheaper in us.. general household meds like tyenol etc are cheaper in the us.. ur phone bills are cheaper in the us.. even mcdonald is considerably cheaper in the us.. living in vancouver alone.. the exchange rate needs to be closer to like 1.45 to off set the cost of living here in vancouver.

The main difference is housing costs.  A hamburger at McDonald's and your phone bill isn't going to make much of a difference to an NHL player.  Housing costs in Vancouver are at a higher point than most cities in the world.  So, everything else being equal you are getting way less bang for your buck living in Vancouver than pretty much any other city in North America other than maybe New York.  However, you also need to take into consideration quality of life.  It's alot cheaper to buy a house in certain parts of the US over Vancouver, but do players really want to live in those cities?

The reason Vancouver is a popular destination for players, especially European players, is because of the quality of living in Vancouver.  Players will pay more to live in this city than in other places.  

At the end of the day, I don't think the exchange rate makes any difference in terms of players coming to Vancouver, it's mostly to do with the quality of life...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Depends on what part of the US you’re talking about.

Living in places like New York and LA is not cheap.

sure living in New York and LA is probably slightly more expensive than Vancouver.. but those that wants to live and play there probably wants to because of the lifestyle living in new york or LA and there's way more things to do there than vancouver.. unless u care about skiing which u can't do in the during the season anyways hiking and sight seeing.. vancouver overall is a nice city.. but it sure is boring as hell.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The main difference is housing costs.  A hamburger at McDonald's and your phone bill isn't going to make much of a difference to an NHL player.  Housing costs in Vancouver are at a higher point than most cities in the world.  So, everything else being equal you are getting way less bang for your buck living in Vancouver than pretty much any other city in North America other than maybe New York.  However, you also need to take into consideration quality of life.  It's alot cheaper to buy a house in certain parts of the US over Vancouver, but do players really want to live in those cities?

The reason Vancouver is a popular destination for players, especially European players, is because of the quality of living in Vancouver.  Players will pay more to live in this city than in other places.  

At the end of the day, I don't think the exchange rate makes any difference in terms of players coming to Vancouver, it's mostly to do with the quality of life...

quality of life for sure.. but really vancouver is slowly getting worse and worse.. there are plenty of choices with similar quality of life and you'll get more bang for the bucks.. the main advantage for me is weather.. for players family plays a big role too.. a lot of the american players wives simply dont want to live in canada.. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure living in New York and LA is probably slightly more expensive than Vancouver.. but those that wants to live and play there probably wants to because of the lifestyle living in new york or LA and there's way more things to do there than vancouver.. unless u care about skiing which u can't do in the during the season anyways hiking and sight seeing.. vancouver overall is a nice city.. but it sure is boring as hell.

To be fair, if you lived in a city for a long period of time, it’s bound to get boring. I’m sure most New Yorkers/Californians would say New York/LA are boring cities to live in, after awhile.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

quality of life for sure.. but really vancouver is slowly getting worse and worse.. there are plenty of choices with similar quality of life and you'll get more bang for the bucks.. the main advantage for me is weather.. for players family plays a big role too.. a lot of the american players wives simply dont want to live in canada.. 

They're probably fine with Vancouver, especially out near West End.  We don't have a harsh climate like Edmonton or Winnipeg.  We're just a slightly more boring version of Seattle.  Obviously some big U.S. cities are way better but not all of them.

In any case, Swedish players have had no problems starting families here.  And where are all our draftees coming from??

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

They're probably fine with Vancouver, especially out near West End.  We don't have a harsh climate like Edmonton or Winnipeg.  We're just a slightly more boring version of Seattle.  Obviously some big U.S. cities are way better but not all of them.

In any case, Swedish players have had no problems starting families here.  And where are all our draftees coming from??

too much swedish and european on this team tbh. We are lacking that 1 core rugged angry canandian that'll drag the team into war. most if not all the recent stanley cup winners have that player.. a Canadian, a leader, have a nasty side, a important core player, one that will lead by example and drag the team into war.

vegas Mark stone, Pietrangelo

colorado Mackinnon Makar

Tampa point, stamkos

st louis o'reilly schenn pietrangelo

chicago keith toews 

pittsburgh crosby letang fleury

washington is the only team that doesn't really have a canadian core leader on the team.. Vancouver doesn't even have a single canadian on the team that is an impact player let alone core player.. we simply don't like drafting canadians 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

too much swedish and european on this team tbh. We are lacking that 1 core rugged angry canandian that'll drag the team into war. most if not all the recent stanley cup winners have that player.. a Canadian, a leader, have a nasty side, a important core player, one that will lead by example and drag the team into war.

colorado Mackinnon Makar

Tampa point, stamkos

chicago keith toews 

washington is the only team that doesn't really have a canadian core leader on the team.. Vancouver doesn't even have a single canadian on the team that is an impact player let alone core player.. we simply don't like drafting canadians 

Vegas ... something like 18 Canadians, one or was it two US players ... can't remember but looked at their roster for where these guys came and was a little blown away.   It appears that their fearless leader (owner), with his military background, decided early on what direction he wanted to go with his players to create a post season team first and foremost.    Their enviable taxes also factored in signing AP and Stone for sure.    Stone is the best two way forward ive seen a lot of (going back to his Ottawa days),  not sure there is a better guy in the league at picking off pucks.  

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

colorado Mackinnon Makar

Tampa point, stamkos

chicago keith toews 

As much as I'd like to disagree with this, I can't. I was hopeful Horvat was that guy, then he went soft.

Even our BEST teams had a few of those guys: Linden, Luongo, Burrows, Hamhuis, Mitchell. 

Maybe it's Beauvillier? 

7 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

As much as I'd like to disagree with this, I can't. I was hopeful Horvat was that guy, then he went soft.

Even our BEST teams had a few of those guys: Linden, Luongo, Burrows, Hamhuis, Mitchell. 

Maybe it's Beauvillier? 

I would like to disagree as well but unfortunately the past tells a different story. Just look at this year with Tkachuk getting injured, Florida was not the same with him not being his "rugged angry canandian" self. 

I would not list Luongo in that category, I see him as being on the softy side, mentally anyway. 

Imagine if we had Mitchell or Hamhuis as our Captain? I think we would have been a very different team.

I wish Beauvillier was just a few inches taller and a couple of pounds heavier. ::D

I think the whole “tax rate” is blown way out of proportion because of what Bobby Ryan said about playing in a higher taxed city and how he had them on his no trade list.

Look at Tarasenko, he took less the play in Ottawa, when San Jose and Carolina reportedly offered him more money.

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I think the whole “tax rate” is blown way out of proportion because of what Bobby Ryan said about playing in a higher taxed city and how he had them on his no trade list.

Look at Tarasenko, he took less the play in Ottawa, when San Jose and Carolina reportedly offered him more money.

Taranseko took term over money though. The other teams were only willing to offer him one year contracts.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, 250Integra said:

Taranseko took term over money though. The other teams were only willing to offer him one year contracts.

What? He’s signed for one year.

Carolina was the only team that gave him a multi year deal worth 11.2m (5.6m).

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

Maybe it's Beauvillier? 

I mean we do have that 1 rugged angry American. Only problem is he doesn’t have that mentality all the time and when he gets too angry or pissed off it doesn’t translate into taking out the frustration on the other team

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I would like to disagree as well but unfortunately the past tells a different story. Just look at this year with Tkachuk getting injured, Florida was not the same with him not being his "rugged angry canandian" self. 

I would not list Luongo in that category, I see him as being on the softy side, mentally anyway. 

Imagine if we had Mitchell or Hamhuis as our Captain? I think we would have been a very different team.

I wish Beauvillier was just a few inches taller and a couple of pounds heavier. ::D

Hamhuis was already on the team just adding a C to his sweater wouldn't have changed the outcome. and of course Mitchell would help we were down to Rome, a rookie Tanev and Andrew Alberts on defense. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I agree on Beau, just needs to be a tad bigger. 

Unfortunately to get the rugged Canadian impact player, it's going to have to be via trade. Not much available. Unless they want to sign Toews> LOL

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I mean we do have that 1 rugged angry American. Only problem is he doesn’t have that mentality all the time and when he gets too angry or pissed off it doesn’t translate into taking out the frustration on the other team

Carson Soucy is 6’5” 220 pounds. He will lead us to the promised land. And the Italian dude, PDG. 

• elephant 1

On 8/2/2023 at 5:41 AM, IBatch said:

Stone is the best two way forward ive seen a lot of (going back to his Ottawa days),  not sure there is a better guy in the league at picking off pucks.  

He’s almost as good as Datsyuk. Datsyuk was the most incredible player to watch imo. The things he could do and how exceptional he was at stealing pucks….

But ya I’d agree Stone is the best the last 10 yeara, idk how the hell Stone hasnt won a god damn Selke.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

He’s almost as good as Datsyuk. Datsyuk was the most incredible player to watch imo. The things he could do and how exceptional he was at stealing pucks….

But ya I’d agree Stone is the best the last 10 yeara, idk how the hell Stone hasnt won a god damn Selke.

Because Bergeron.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Health issues and Bergeron have kept him from getting the respect he deserves. 

Now guys like Barkov, Hishchier and Petey will surpass him. Like Luongo, who was a Vezina level goalie, he just happened to play at the same time as one of the all time greats. 

• Upvote 1