The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly. I'm not sure why people think they should be privy to private conversations behind closed doors. There could be any number of tings going on with that. Maybe he's 90% close to signing, maybe he told them he's not negotiating this summer at all, maybe he's already decided he wants out, maybe PA is playing hardball. Point is no one knows. One thing is certain, they haven't not realized how important it is. The rest is just wild speculation and as you mentioned this regime has been very good at keeping things hush hush.

Well I don’t mean like news or leaks like what they are looking at etc etc. I mean news or rumours like PA have preliminary contact with the agent or Canucks have had talks with ep agent etc. I really don’t care about the details and stuff. Last year at least we know they were talking to miller and they talked with Horvat. Need like they are at least talking 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Well I don’t mean like news or leaks like what they are looking at etc etc. I mean news or rumours like PA have preliminary contact with the agent or Canucks have had talks with ep agent etc. I really don’t care about the details and stuff. Last year at least we know they were talking to miller and they talked with Horvat. Need like they are at least talking 

Yeah. I get what you're saying kind of but without really any comments at all regarding the status we simply don't why they haven't made any statements. Probably because this fanbase takes simple nothing soundbites and turns them into critically damning statements that hurt the franchise. Sure it may be nice for fans to know but the lack of any news just means we're simply in the dark concerning this issue, not that they're sitting around doing nothing. At some point we will get some clarification and it could be any of many possible scenarios.

Personally I kind of like the fact they aren't giving this rabid fanbase anything that may hinder their decided upon direction. I think it's very safe to assume they are at least talking or have already had those preliminary talks and are somewhere in the middle of the process. I mean why wouldn't they have addressed this massive issue concerning their best player? Even the least knowledgeable hockey person would understand the importance, let alone the GM of the team. I think you should put your mind at ease on that one.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah. I get what you're saying kind of but without really any comments at all regarding the status we simply don't why they haven't made any statements. Probably because this fanbase takes simple nothing soundbites and turns them into critically damning statements that hurt the franchise. Sure it may be nice for fans to know but the lack of any news just means we're simply in the dark concerning this issue, not that they're sitting around doing nothing. At some point we will get some clarification and it could be any of many possible scenarios.

Personally I kind of like the fact they aren't giving this rabid fanbase anything that may hinder their decided upon direction. I think it's very safe to assume they are at least talking or have already had those preliminary talks and are somewhere in the middle of the process. I mean why wouldn't they have addressed this massive issue concerning their best player? Even the least knowledgeable hockey person would understand the importance, let alone the GM of the team. I think you should put your mind at ease on that one.

Well hopefully they are talking in the background then and have something done hopefully. My concerns are valid. If it drags to next offseason we basically have up to the arbitration date to either give in and re-sign to his demands or trade him to a team he’s willing to re-sign don’t think the 1 year arbitration or trade him as a 1 year rental is an option for this team. I’m pretty sure the Canucks will file for arbitration to prevent ep from signing the qualifying if it gets to that time

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Well hopefully they are talking in the background then and have something done hopefully. My concerns are valid. If it drags to next offseason we basically have up to the arbitration date to either give in and re-sign to his demands or trade him to a team he’s willing to re-sign don’t think the 1 year arbitration or trade him as a 1 year rental is an option for this team. I’m pretty sure the Canucks will file for arbitration to prevent ep from signing the qualifying if it gets to that time

I get the concern. I can't imagine a scenario where they don't understand this as well though. It's not even remotely an issue in that sense imo. I don't think they are interested in playing hardball with him either. He's too important to the team and it's direction. If you don't hear anything it's not that they aren't doing anything or are neglecting it. It's probably apprehension from Petterson's camp if anything. He's either set an an incredibly high price (unlikely) or more likely he's gambling on himself to be even better plus seeing if this team is worth his investment or not.

Who knows, maybe they do feel they have time and he'll sign a fair offer without going the Tkachuk hostage route. That may have been discussed already. It's not like they can just force him to sign right now if he doesn't want to. I understand though from a fans viewpoint every moment he isn't signed is uncomfortable. We haven't seen this management group lose a player or handle a contract negotiation poorly so there is really too many possibilities at this time to speculate accurately. 

Imo Petterson will sign a fair but rich deal without any major hiccups or he'll decide he wants to play elsewhere. Nothing much we can do about that except win hockey games.

My best guess is we started by informally/formally offering him something like $10.25 X 8 and Petterson's camp said he's worth $12 or more at the very least, they are interested in a deal but are leaning towards playing at least part of next season before signing.

Edited by Gawdzukes

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I get the concern. I can't imagine a scenario where they don't understand this as well though. It's not even remotely an issue in that sense imo. I don't think they are interested in playing hardball with him either. He's too important to the team and it's direction. If you don't hear anything it's not that they aren't doing anything or are neglecting it. It's probably apprehension from Petterson's camp if anything. He's either set an an incredibly high price (unlikely) or more likely he's gambling on himself to be even better plus seeing if this team is worth his investment or not.

Who knows, maybe they do feel they have time and he'll sign a fair offer without going the Tkachuk hostage route. That may have been discussed already. It's not like they can just force him to sign right now if he doesn't want to. I understand though from a fans viewpoint every moment he isn't signed is uncomfortable. We haven't seen this management group lose a player or handle a contract negotiation poorly so there is really too many possibilities at this time to speculate accurately. 

Imo Petterson will sign a fair but rich deal without any major hiccups or he'll decide he wants to play elsewhere. Nothing much we can do about that except win hockey games.

My best guess is we started by informally/formally offering him something like $10.25 X 8 and Petterson's camp said he's worth $12 or more at the very least, they are interested in a deal but are leaning towards playing at least part of next season before signing.

Alf’s empties predict Petey signs a 3 year deal at 9.5 per. 
So it shall be distilled; so it shall be drank. 
Bow and kneel to Alf’s empties :frantic:

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

In what world would any of you sign when your career is on the up and have a good chance of getting more money next summer? Just not gonna happen lol

Yup, the ball is in Petey's court. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a lucrative contract (we need to offer) halfway though the season if he comes out on pace or better than last year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

In what world would any of you sign when your career is on the up and have a good chance of getting more money next summer? Just not gonna happen lol

Jack Hughes signed an 8x8 deal 2 years ago. He didn’t have to go long term. Could have bet on himself and signed a 3 year bridge deal like Petey did. Hughes probably left $15 million on the table by signing an 8 year deal. Tage Thompson did the same thing. 

Sometimes it makes sense to take the money. You never know what will happen to you. It’s not as simple as just betting on yourself. Injuries do happen. If someone offered you $80 million would you walk away and wait for a better deal?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If someone offered you $80 million would you walk away and wait for a better deal?  

E.P.'s estimated career earnings are already $14,575,000 plus $7,350,000 for the up coming season.

with that kind of bank, it becomes more  it likely that you would take a chance.

With my bank- I take the $350,000 and be happy. :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jack Hughes signed an 8x8 deal 2 years ago. He didn’t have to go long term. Could have bet on himself and signed a 3 year bridge deal like Petey did. Hughes probably left $15 million on the table by signing an 8 year deal. Tage Thompson did the same thing. 

Sometimes it makes sense to take the money. You never know what will happen to you. It’s not as simple as just betting on yourself. Injuries do happen. If someone offered you $80 million would you walk away and wait for a better deal?  

If someone offered me a guaranteed $10M right now, or a guaranteed $100M in 3 years, I'd take the $10M now. I'm not getting any younger and that's more than enough money for me and my kids to have everything we could ever want. That's 3 extra years to enjoy being rich. Maybe I'm not extravagant enough, but when I see people holding out to get $80M instead of say $72M on a contract, it drives me a bit nuts. Both are stupid amounts of money, and if you take less, there's more money for better teammates and you have a better shot at winning a cup, which I'm sure means more than money to most players. But clearly I'm in the minority, because it seems very rare for players to take anything less than the maximum possible they can squeeze out of a team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

i think the jack hughes thing was a big gamble on both side though coming off a 21 and 31 point season.. like Hughes can bet on himself but i dunno if he thought he'd be in the 90-100 point range.. based on his first 2 season.. i dont think he'd get a 3 year bridge at 7+ like ep.. his deal in a way is kinda like the mackinnon deal when he took the so call discount signs a max term deal at a decent cap hit and then out performing it. Devil took the gamble and won. different scenario different circumstances

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

If someone offered me a guaranteed $10M right now, or a guaranteed $100M in 3 years, I'd take the $10M now. I'm not getting any younger and that's more than enough money for me and my kids to have everything we could ever want. That's 3 extra years to enjoy being rich. Maybe I'm not extravagant enough, but when I see people holding out to get $80M instead of say $72M on a contract, it drives me a bit nuts. Both are stupid amounts of money, and if you take less, there's more money for better teammates and you have a better shot at winning a cup, which I'm sure means more than money to most players. But clearly I'm in the minority, because it seems very rare for players to take anything less than the maximum possible they can squeeze out of a team.

I agree with you to some extent. I just feel like some of this pressure to not take discount is from the agents and the NHLPA. There'll be questions from players like why do I have to take discount when my teammate didnt or just because this player took discount why should I do the same. Agents also gets a bigger cut if the contract value is maximized. 

Petey doesn't strike me as a person who cares about a couple of extra million. So I think there's more to this than greediness. 

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I agree and I've already mentioned it. 

If I'm him, I'm betting on myself to improve upon last season. 

And in that case, that's major bank, which Petey would deserve, based on market value. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

I agree with you to some extent. I just feel like some of this pressure to not take discount is from the agents and the NHLPA. There'll be questions from players like why do I have to take discount when my teammate didnt or just because this player took discount why should I do the same. Agents also gets a bigger cut if the contract value is maximized. 

Petey doesn't strike me as a person who cares about a couple of extra million. So I think there's more to this than greediness. 

No doubt agents and the NHLPA are a huge part of the problem. 8 year guaranteed contracts are ridiculous and bad for the game. And it’s the agents job to get as much money as possible for their clients, that’s what they are paid to do. 

i just don’t think the current system produces the best possible hockey to watch. It would be more fun IMO to see players playing for new contracts more often, more movement of star players between teams, and more balanced rosters. So many teams (hey Canucks!) are handicapped with imbalanced lineups because so much money goes to a few players and big, bad long-term contracts were signed (again, hey Canucks!)

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by Strawbone

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think the jack hughes thing was a big gamble on both side though coming off a 21 and 31 point season.. like Hughes can bet on himself but i dunno if he thought he'd be in the 90-100 point range.. based on his first 2 season.. i dont think he'd get a 3 year bridge at 7+ like ep.. his deal in a way is kinda like the mackinnon deal when he took the so call discount signs a max term deal at a decent cap hit and then out performing it. Devil took the gamble and won. different scenario different circumstances

Jack Hughes suffered two injuries after his second season. First injury happened in October 2021, just after the season started. He came back at the end of November and signed his 8x8 deal. He then went on to get 56 points in 49 games before getting injured again at the end of the season. 

Seems like the first injury might have spooked him and he took the money. New Jersey bet on him and they won. Hughes was too scared to bet on himself, especially after being injured for almost 6 weeks.