The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offseason Shenanigans (Proposal)

Now that we have a more clear understanding of where we are currently, this is a proposal I think could work. 

This is without an OEL buyout and Pearson/Poolman LTIR

Tasks

Clear Cap Space 

Get a 3rd line Center either stopgap or long term solution 

Gritty defensive RHD that can play with Quinn

Sign Petey and Hronek long term 

Resignings 

Petey - 8 years 10-10.5 per 

Hronek - 5 years 5.5-6 per 

Joshua - 3 years 1.5 per 

Bear - 3 years 2.5-2.75 per

Pre-Draft Trades

Columbus - Garland 

Vancouver - Peeke and 2nd Or 3rd 

Love Garland as a player, but he doesn't play PP1 and he doesn't play Penalty Kill. So it doesn't make sense for us to pay him 5 per, when it seems Brock is going to stay. Peeke coming off a bit of a down year, on a really bad team. Very good potential to be a defensively dependable, gritty, minute munching dman going forward. Great contract as well. 

Tampa -Rathbone, Hoglander, Our 3rd this year. 

Vancouver - Colton w/ resign (3.5 over 4-5)

We get our 3rd line center of the future. Colton has fantastic advanced stats. Nearly had 40 points on an average ice time of just under 13 minutes a game. I figure he would be used more here for us, so we could see that go up.

Hurts to see both Rathbone and Hoglander go, but it's a price to pay for Colton. Hogs doesn't look like he was going to get a fair shot here and Tampa needs players on near entry level status. This works for them.

Arizona - Myers 

Vancouver - Future considerations 

please for the love of god. 

Draft

#11 - N.Danielson 

Player with a lot of upside at a premium center position for us. 

So as we approach July 1st this is what the depth chart would look like. 

Kuzmenko - Petey - Mikheyev

Beau  - Miller - Boeser 

Podkolzin - Colton - ?/Krav/McD

Joshua - Aman - ? 

Hughes Peeke

OEL Hronek

?/Brisebois/Hirose - Bear 

Demko

Martin or ?

Now my approach to the offseason would be to capitalize on 1 year deals or create internal competition with 2 way contracts. No 2 year deals. 

I personally would be targeting a LHD minute munching defensive dman on a one year deal and a gritty 4th line winger/center on a one year deal. 

July.1st 

Carson Soucy 1 year 2.5 - 3 

Noel Acciari 1 year 1.5-2

Final roster for 2023-24

Kuzmenko - Pete - Mikheyev 

Beauvillier - Miller- Boeser

Podz - Colton - Krav/McD 

Joshua - Aman - Acciari 

Ex. Dries, DiGiuseppe 

Hughes Peeke 

OEL Hronek

Soucy Bear 

Ex. Brisebois 

Demko

Silovs/Martin 

I like this team a lot more than this past years team. Far more balanced, with roles established. Veterans in some key roles not on crippling contracts, except OEL. Although maybe Hronek helps his game. Acquire long term pieces in Peeke and Colton on great contracts. That looks to me as a playoff bubble team. 

Opinions? 

Edited by KKnight
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

the only thing this UFA class has a glutton of is 3Cs... and that's just what we need...soe higher end 3C/2C tweeners, some solid NHL 3Cs and some 3C/4C

ROR - 2/3C

Compher 2/3C

E Rod 3C

Kerfoot - soft 3C

Bluegger 3C/4C

Acciari  3/4C/Wing

Barbasev middle 6 winger more than C but plays both

Kampf 3C

actually a fair amount to pick from 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Now that we have a more clear understanding of where we are currently, this is a proposal I think could work. 

Tasks

Clear Cap Space 

Resignings 

Joshua - 3 years 1.5 per 

Pre-Draft Trades

Columbus - Garland 

Love Garland as a player, but he doesn't play PP1 and he doesn't play Penalty Kill. So it doesn't make sense for us to pay him 5 per, when it seems Brock is going to stay. Peeke coming off a bit of a down year, on a really bad team. Very good potential to be a defensively dependable, gritty, minute munching dman going forward. Great contract as well. 

We get our 3rd line center of the future. Colton has fantastic advanced stats. Nearly had 40 points on an average ice time of just under 13 minutes a game. I figure he would be used more here for us, so we could see that go up.

Hurts to see both Rathbone and Hoglander go, but it's a price to pay for Colton. Hogs doesn't look like he was going to get a fair shot here and Tampa needs players on near entry level status. This works for them.

Arizona - Myers 

Draft

#11 - N.Danielson 

Beau  - Miller - Boeser 

Joshua - Aman - ? 

Hughes Peeke

OEL Hronek

Demko

Martin or ?

Now my approach to the offseason would be to capitalize on 1 year deals or create internal competition with 2 way contracts. No 2 year deals. 

I personally would be targeting a LHD minute munching defensive dman on a one year deal and a gritty 4th line winger/center on a one year deal. 

July.1st 

Final roster for 2023-24

Podz - Colton - Krav/McD 

Joshua - Aman - Acciari 

Ex. Dries, DiGiuseppe 

Hughes Peeke 

OEL Hronek

Soucy Bear 

Ex. Brisebois 

Demko

Silovs/Martin 

I like this team a lot more than this past years team. Far more balanced, with roles established. Veterans in some key roles not on crippling contracts, except OEL. Although maybe Hronek helps his game. Acquire long term pieces in Peeke and Colton on great contracts. That looks to me as a playoff bubble team. 

Opinions? 

I like the trades and signings. My favorite part of your post is bolded. 

• Haha 1

Looks like a nice well thought out proposal that meets the needs of the team.  I like the re-signings and the trade for Peeke.  In my opinion I would make a few modifications with the same goals in mind:

-I think as was mentioned we should focus on getting a 3C through FA.  We have some insulation with Raty maybe being ready but he likely needs another year in the A.

-I think Myers to Arizona is great, but I'm guessing that a sweetener may be needed even with the cap vs salary benefit for them.  I would just add Rathbone to Myers to make Myers go away

-I would have Hoglander replace Acciari in your scenario as a 3/4 W to start with the ability to move up.  I think we need the pace and flexibility of Hoglander in our lineup.

-I would hopefully sign Bear for closer to 2M x 2 and sign Tryamkin for 2-2.5M x 3 as he can play RD and LD and can potentially play with Hughes (1st pair) to Bear (2/3rd pair) depending on performance/matchups/situations.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

Peeke is available but can't see CBJ being interested in Garland.  

If it's not worth for the Canucks to pay Garland 5M for all the reasons you list - why does it make sense for CBJ?  Why is CBJ the ones adding the pick?  Wouldn't they have better options to move Peeke than taking over an undersized winger and adding a draft pick.

Tampa who built their team on advanced stats is going to let Colton go for 2 waiver eligible players who weren't able to crack the Canucks' lineup and a draft pick who they don't seem to care all that much about?  BriseBois paid a haul of draft picks to get Tanner Jeannot and explained how little value picks had for them when they are in full win now mode.  Would think they would value more to retain someone that has been a lineup regular for them.

Arizona won't have any trouble to reach the floor.  Armstrong has explained his plan on so many platforms - tank and hoard draft picks.  Says they've been calling teams to leverage their cap space in exchange for draft picks.  He has a 6M cap hit and it's evident on CapFriendly that the Canucks are cap strapped.  His bonus is also only due on 15 September - ie their cap situation could look even uglier/more dire if they are active in free agency.  Would expect Myers to have Arizona on his no trade list.

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Peeke is available but can't see CBJ being interested in Garland.  

If it's not worth for the Canucks to pay Garland 5M for all the reasons you list - why does it make sense for CBJ?  Why is CBJ the ones adding the pick?  Wouldn't they have better options to move Peeke than taking over an undersized winger and adding a draft pick.

Tampa who built their team on advanced stats is going to let Colton go for 2 waiver eligible players who weren't able to crack the Canucks' lineup and a draft pick who they don't seem to care all that much about?  BriseBois paid a haul of draft picks to get Tanner Jeannot and explained how little value picks had for them when they are in full win now mode.  Would think they would value more to retain someone that has been a lineup regular for them.

Arizona won't have any trouble to reach the floor.  Armstrong has explained his plan on so many platforms - tank and hoard draft picks.  Says they've been calling teams to leverage their cap space in exchange for draft picks.  He has a 6M cap hit and it's evident on CapFriendly that the Canucks are cap strapped.  His bonus is also only due on 15 September - ie their cap situation could look even uglier/more dire if they are active in free agency.  Would expect Myers to have Arizona on his no trade list.

Well, just because we don't have him on first PP, doesn't mean someone else couldn't. Garland played a secondary role for us and still nearly contributed 50 points. I really like Garland, but just from a logical cap standpoint, we would be better served allocating that money on Colton (3C), Peeke, Role Players.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

the only thing this UFA class has a glutton of is 3Cs... and that's just what we need...soe higher end 3C/2C tweeners, some solid NHL 3Cs and some 3C/4C

ROR - 2/3C

Compher 2/3C

E Rod 3C

Kerfoot - soft 3C

Bluegger 3C/4C

Acciari  3/4C/Wing

Kampf 3C

In my opinion I take Colton over all of those options. 

14 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Well, just because we don't have him on first PP, doesn't mean someone else couldn't. Garland played a secondary role for us and still nearly contributed 50 points. I really like Garland, but just from a logical cap standpoint, we would be better served allocating that money on Colton (3C), Peeke, Role Players.

CBJ getting Texier back.  Can't see them spending on wingers when they need to improve their D-corps, find veteran stop-gap Cs and address their goaltending.  CBJ also has to be mindful of extensions for their core young players re cap space.  Also can't imagine Tampa would let Ross Colton go given that they are in a win now mode.

Edited by mll

21 minutes ago, mll said:

CBJ getting Texier back.  Can't see them spending on wingers when they need to improve their D-corps, find veteran stop-gap Cs and address their goaltending.  CBJ also has to be mindful of extensions for their core young players re cap space.  Also can't imagine Tampa would let Ross Colton go given that they are in a win now mode.

Their forward core is still relatively shallow (even when you factor in Texier's return).

Gaudreau and Laine are the two big-ticket scoring leaders up front, but after that you need to presume Texier doesn't miss a beat, and Johnson definitely takes a leap in his growth, AND Marchenko keeps up his scoring % (his shooting percentage was at 16% last year!).  If any one of those doesn't pan out, or if they get injured you're back to the same situation of not having scoring help behind the two stars mentioned.  For a team that's trending toward (if not in) win-now mode with the Johnny Hockey signing, that could be trouble, so I could definitely see them add since their offense is so anemic (30th in goals for, 26th in shots/ game):

2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets Team & Player Stats | StatMuse

Could contain: Text, Chart, Plot 

Now I'm not saying they don't fix the defense, they absolutely need to; that being said, Werenski only played 13 games last season before his shoulder injury, so his return would be a massive boost, and even with the addition of Garland they'd still have around $7 million ($19.37 million cap space, $9.6 for Werenski, $2.2 net difference between Garland and Peeke) to re-sign Texier, the backup goalies and add depth.  Unless they have another star C in mind to acquire via trade then by all means, otherwise adding Garland might not be the worst add if there's no quick fix to their problems.

1 hour ago, mll said:

They have $2.4 million in cap (projected) for next year; even if Killorn walks for nothing, they still need a backup goalie, 2/3 of a 4th line and a depth D to re-sign or replace.  Jeannot like you mentioned is also an RFA, as is Colton, so there's really no way they can keep all of them, so it absolutely stands to reason that they could move Colton instead of trading Tanner who they dumped all their picks to get.  Even if they were to re-sign all their depth guys they already have no cap space so (unless they trade a star guy who's still got contract years remaining) one of these young guys will have to be a cap casualty, and I hope our GM is smart enough to realize the opportunity to poach an important piece on his roster.

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

ROR - 2/3C

Compher 2/3C

E Rod 3C

Kerfoot - soft 3C

Bluegger 3C/4C

Acciari  3/4C/Wing

Kampf 3C

If we can move Myers and the pricey wings and also get Colton as OP suggested, I'd definitely like Colton and Blueger/ Acciari to be #3 and #4 C (can bump Aman to the wing since he's sub-40% on draws).

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

They have $2.4 million in cap (projected) for next year; even if Killorn walks for nothing, they still need a backup goalie, 2/3 of a 4th line and a depth D to re-sign or replace.  Jeannot like you mentioned is also an RFA, as is Colton, so there's really no way they can keep all of them, so it absolutely stands to reason that they could move Colton instead of trading Tanner who they dumped all their picks to get.  Even if they were to re-sign all their depth guys they already have no cap space so (unless they trade a star guy who's still got contract years remaining) one of these young guys will have to be a cap casualty, and I hope our GM is smart enough to realize the opportunity to poach an important piece on his roster.

If we can move Myers and the pricey wings and also get Colton as OP suggested, I'd definitely like Colton and Blueger/ Acciari to be #3 and #4 C (can bump Aman to the wing since he's sub-40% on draws).

9.275M in cap space - Seabrook is a 6.875M cap hit and will go on LTIR.  BriseBois likely hoping he can move that contract back to Chicago.  Will be tight but should still be sufficient to extend Ross and Jeannot. 

4 hours ago, KKnight said:

Tasks

Clear Cap Space 

Resignings 

Joshua - 3 years 1.5 per 

Pre-Draft Trades

Columbus - Garland 

Arizona - Myers 

Draft

#11 - N.Danielson 

Beau  - Miller - Boeser 

Joshua - Aman - ? 

Hughes Peeke

OEL Hronek

Demko

Martin or ?

July.1st 

Final roster for 2023-24

Podz - Colton - Krav/McD 

Joshua - Aman - Acciari 

Ex. Dries, DiGiuseppe 

Hughes Peeke 

OEL Hronek

Soucy Bear 

Ex. Brisebois 

Demko

Silovs/Martin 

Opinions? 

Except for keeping OEL it’s good. 

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Their forward core is still relatively shallow (even when you factor in Texier's return).

Gaudreau and Laine are the two big-ticket scoring leaders up front, but after that you need to presume Texier doesn't miss a beat, and Johnson definitely takes a leap in his growth, AND Marchenko keeps up his scoring % (his shooting percentage was at 16% last year!).  If any one of those doesn't pan out, or if they get injured you're back to the same situation of not having scoring help behind the two stars mentioned.  For a team that's trending toward (if not in) win-now mode with the Johnny Hockey signing, that could be trouble, so I could definitely see them add since their offense is so anemic (30th in goals for, 26th in shots/ game):

2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets Team & Player Stats | StatMuse

Could contain: Text, Chart, Plot 

Now I'm not saying they don't fix the defense, they absolutely need to; that being said, Werenski only played 13 games last season before his shoulder injury, so his return would be a massive boost, and even with the addition of Garland they'd still have around $7 million ($19.37 million cap space, $9.6 for Werenski, $2.2 net difference between Garland and Peeke) to re-sign Texier, the backup goalies and add depth.  Unless they have another star C in mind to acquire via trade then by all means, otherwise adding Garland might not be the worst add if there's no quick fix to their problems.

Texier's contract was able to slide after he spent the season in Europe - CapFriendly shows him as RFA but he's actually a 1.5M cap hit next season.  

Portzline is their long time beat writer and after failing to extend Gavrikov, he highlights how they now have only 1 top-4 D in Werenski and a bunch of 3rd pairing Ds.  Jiricek and Ceulemans have promise but they need a stronger D-corps around them.  Merzlikins has also struggled in net.  

CBJ is expected to add veteran players this off-season as stated by Kekaleinen.  LAs 1st round pick is very much in play where they were trying to use it in a package to acquire Chychrun.  Got to also wonder if they won't go for a more experienced coach to replace Larsen.  CBJ has quite a step to take if they want to try and make the playoffs next season.  They have cap space and a lot of teams are cap strapped as highlighted by Kekaleinen.  CBJ the ones that gave up 30-goal scorer Bjorkstrand for close to nothing - would expect them to try and pull off similar trades or look at free agency. 

Not sure many teams are looking at Garland and thinking he's the guy that will help them turn their season around and CBJ has quite the climb.  He's a 5M cap hit and is undersized and not a high end playmaker/goal scorer.  He gets points but he doesn't really have distinctive traits.  Speed and size seems to be the wish these days.  He also hasn't proved he can play in the post-season and being undersized for the rougher post-season is often a tough sell.  

He's been on the trade block for quite some time too.  With how the Canucks are trying to clear cap space, might be more because of lack of interest vs too high of an asking price.  Peeke is a RHD and teams tend to value them already more than wingers - there should be some interest from other teams as well. 

23 hours ago, KKnight said:

Tasks

Clear Cap Space 

Resignings 

Joshua - 3 years 1.5 per 

Pre-Draft Trades

Columbus - Garland 

Arizona - Myers 

Draft

#11 - N.Danielson 

Beau  - Miller - Boeser 

Joshua - Aman - ? 

Hughes Peeke

OEL Hronek

Demko

Martin or ?

July.1st 

Final roster for 2023-24

Podz - Colton - Krav/McD 

Joshua - Aman - Acciari 

Ex. Dries, DiGiuseppe 

Hughes Peeke 

OEL Hronek

Soucy Bear 

Ex. Brisebois 

Demko

Silovs/Martin 

Opinions? 

Garland is a cap dump. You're not getting Peeke for Garland 1 for 1, let alone with CBJ adding a 2nd or 3rd.

You're taking a bad contract back, not a young right hand shot defenseman who's also a giant. 

Before you talk about how terrible Peeke was, we just paid Garland 4.9 mil for 46 points. 

Garlands actual take home pay next year is 6 million dollars. 

Peeke is making less than 800k, and is still club controlled when his contract ends next summer.

This is a 0% trade. CBJ laughs and hangs up the phone. 

If Garland had the value you think he does, he would have been moved already.

Rathbone Hoglander and 3rd? Is this the new Raymond Ballard and a 3rd?

Rathbone shit the bed this year, and couldn't crack our AHL level defence core.

He currently has flyer value, which would be long shot project for long shot project. 

He won't be moving the needle on any trade involving an impact player.

Hoglander might have some value, but again, he's more of a project player at this point.

He hasn't proven his ability to play at the NHL level, I would be shocked if teams were interested in giving up real value for Hog.

After seeing what Jeannot got, as a physical winger, you're going to need to pay more on the trade market than two projects and a third for Colton.

Of all the players you mention here, I'd bet that Myers actually has the most trade value, once his bonus is paid. If we retain 50% of his 6mil, and his actually owed money becomes less than 1mil, there will be contending teams looking to shore up their bottom pair with an experienced RHD. Myers in a reduced roll on a team that defends well would be an effective player.

That being said, I would love to target a player of Coltons skill set.

I would much rather have a guy capable of shutting players down, than a guy like Barbashev.

We need the defensive aspect more than we need another point producer. 

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

Garland is a cap dump. You're not getting Peeke for Garland 1 for 1, let alone with CBJ adding a 2nd or 3rd.

You're taking a bad contract back, not a young right hand shot defenseman who's also a giant. 

Before you talk about how terrible Peeke was, we just paid Garland 4.9 mil for 46 points. 

Garlands actual take home pay next year is 6 million dollars. 

Peeke is making less than 800k, and is still club controlled when his contract ends next summer.

This is a 0% trade. CBJ laughs and hangs up the phone. 

If Garland had the value you think he does, he would have been moved already.

Rathbone Hoglander and 3rd? Is this the new Raymond Ballard and a 3rd?

Rathbone shit the bed this year, and couldn't crack our AHL level defence core.

He currently has flyer value, which would be long shot project for long shot project. 

He won't be moving the needle on any trade involving an impact player.

Hoglander might have some value, but again, he's more of a project player at this point.

He hasn't proven his ability to play at the NHL level, I would be shocked if teams were interested in giving up real value for Hog.

After seeing what Jeannot got, as a physical winger, you're going to need to pay more on the trade market than two projects and a third for Colton.

Of all the players you mention here, I'd bet that Myers actually has the most trade value, once his bonus is paid. If we retain 50% of his 6mil, and his actually owed money becomes less than 1mil, there will be contending teams looking to shore up their bottom pair with an experienced RHD. Myers in a reduced roll on a team that defends well would be an effective player.

That being said, I would love to target a player of Coltons skill set.

I would much rather have a guy capable of shutting players down, than a guy like Barbashev.

We need the defensive aspect more than we need another point producer. 

Thanks Mckenzie. I'll try better next time lol 

My little tweaks:

1) Garland + Rathbone for Peeke

2) Myers + 3rd to Arizona for futures

3) Beauvillier to anyone for a 3rd (2nd if we're lucky)

4) Sign Graves 5x5M

5) Sign Kampf

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Kampf - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Kravtsov

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Peeke

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

On 4/20/2023 at 2:05 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

My little tweaks:

1) Garland + Rathbone for Peeke

2) Myers + 3rd to Arizona for futures

3) Beauvillier to anyone for a 3rd (2nd if we're lucky)

4) Sign Graves 5x5M

5) Sign Kampf

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Kampf - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Kravtsov

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Peeke

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

No amount of Garland gets you Peeke he's a top 20 RHD in the league making 2.75m

• There it is 1