The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - VAN - CBJ

Obviously our needs going into next year are a solid 3rd line center and defensive defenceman (ideally an RD). CBJ have gone full tank, hard to say what they want but they're likely starting a rebuild/young retool. We clearly want to take it to the next level rather than rebuild so...

1) TO VAN: Roslovic + Peeke

2) TO CBJ: 1st + Garland + Rathbone

Why CBJ does it - CBJ add another first (3 this year) so can really crash-rebuild. They walk away with a top future 1st line center with their pick (Bedard, Fantilli or Carlsson), they walk away with a future 2nd line center with the Canucks pick to replace Roslovic in the future (Dvorsky, Yager, Leonard etc.), and they take a defenceman with LA's late first round pick. Suddenly their new core is all around 18 years old. Garland is mostly a cap dump but a young guy who slots into their top-6 as they transition. If they want Beauvillier instead, fine. Rathbone is on the fringe of the NHL, young enough to fit the new rebuild and slots in nicely amongst the rest of their 22-24yo defencemen.

Why VAN does it - the first rounder could be Reinbacher, but he's a good couple of years away from the NHL. If he's gone at the 11th overall pick, we could easily take a nice two-way center like Leonard or Dvorsky (although doubt he's still there) but again, they won't be NHL ready for many years. Peeke had a bad year but put him on a good team with a good line mate like Hughes and he could be a stud and his stats reverse - the same way Gavrikov's stats have. He's signed to a very team-friendly 2.7M which is what we need on our defence to complement the expensive guys. Roslovic is 26 but a perfect 3C who can play up the lineup if need be and only on a 4M cap hit. 6M in cap to fill our two biggest holes, this is why we have to give up premium. Rathbone sadly is going to get pushed out by Hirose, I'd consider him a B-grade prospect right now but I don't see him cracking this Canucks lineup. Best of all, no need to move the hardest contracts on the team (OEL and Myers).

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Roslovic - Hoglander

Joshua - Aman - Podkolzin

Hughes - Peeke

OEL - Hronek

Hirose - Myers

Burroughs

• Cheers 2

1. Based on the history of this org's desire to constantly trade draft picks and the glaring needs we currently have at 3C and RD, I like this trade. Yes it would hurt to send out another 1st rnd pick but our 2 glaring needs that MGMT has to address this summer are met via this proposal.

I like this deal insofar as we get what we need and they are 2 players whose age mesh with our core. Both play a hard, gritty game- Tocchet type players IMHO.

• Cheers 1

Roslovic is a negative contract very similar to Garland. Swapping those two is fair. 
The rest of the proposal doesn’t work for us. 
This management hasn’t traded their own first and will not now. Unless you’re suggesting our owner will insist we do. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, KirkSave said:
  1. Based on the history of this org's desire to constantly trade draft picks and the glaring needs we currently have at 3C and RD, I like this trade. Yes it would hurt to send out another 1st rnd pick but our 2 glaring needs that MGMT has to address this summer are met via this proposal.

I like this deal insofar as we get what we need and they are 2 players whose age mesh with our core. Both play a hard, gritty game- Tocchet type players IMHO.

Also both are relatively young so that fits our 25-26yo core going forward. Hopefully Roslovic can take the 2C reins once Miller gets older (and becomes 3C or retires) and by the time Roslovic is in his mid-thirties and slowing down, we'll have had plenty of time to draft the next center, and next wave.

It just makes sense to time all our young guys together rather than ending up with a fragmented bunch of players who are 30+ (Miller), mid-20s (Petey, Hughes, Hronek) and then 18 (next draftees + Lekkerimaki etc).

The other big thing here is cap management - 4M for Ros and 2.7M for Peeke is farily decent long-term. Roslovic has had his ups and downs but we have to take cap back and if he's even a 40-50pt scoring 3C next year, I'd be happy with that. Peeke will end up being a 20 minute tough RD who mainly plays on the PK which is a bargain for what he costs.

This management has been very cap-friendly of late, I think a big reason Hronek costs so much was that he's tied to just a 4M deal, so they'd be all over this. No need to buyout OEL or move Myers, with good deals like these we could just wait them out.

• Cheers 1

This is the first proposal for Peeke that actually takes into account his trade value, so thank you for that.

The amount of Garland for Peeke and a 2nd proposals I've read on this board makes me ashamed to be here.

The Roslovic for Garland swap makes sense positionally for us, giving us some more depth down the middle. Though I'm not sure he's exactly what we're wanting for that third line role, he is still an upgrade over Garland as we have a glutton of wingers.

Peeke is a potential monster. The guys massive, shoots right, and can skate. 100% he's at the very least fetching your price of a 1st plus a B-C prospect like Rathbone. I would like to find out where we draft before this trade makes total sense, but if it's the 12th pick I would take this deal and run. Then for the next handful of years we just need to hope Peeke doesn't just turn into Tyler Myers 2.0

42 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

This is the first proposal for Peeke that actually takes into account his trade value, so thank you for that.

The amount of Garland for Peeke and a 2nd proposals I've read on this board makes me ashamed to be here.

The Roslovic for Garland swap makes sense positionally for us, giving us some more depth down the middle. Though I'm not sure he's exactly what we're wanting for that third line role, he is still an upgrade over Garland as we have a glutton of wingers.

Peeke is a potential monster. The guys massive, shoots right, and can skate. 100% he's at the very least fetching your price of a 1st plus a B-C prospect like Rathbone. I would like to find out where we draft before this trade makes total sense, but if it's the 12th pick I would take this deal and run. Then for the next handful of years we just need to hope Peeke doesn't just turn into Tyler Myers 2.0

Yeah, he's a hard one to judge, Peeke is...just re-signed to a fairly long-ish deal, he looked great last year but has been destroyed this year. Statistically he's one of the worst defencemen in the league but it's hard to say how much of it is his fault. I really like him, think he's a great defenceman but it's hard to separate bad team from bad player, and I think he's had his moments this year - good and bad. That being said, you put him in a good situation on a decent team with a star goalie and top-3 defenceman as a partner and I think he'd really flourish. 

In terms of value his is as low as it's ever been, so not many teams would be stupid enough to sell low unless they got an offer they couldn't refuse. I think a relatively decent 1st rounder is more than enough, considering that could be Reinbacher who may well be better than Peeke in 3-5 years time. Rathbone is just a bit of insurance/fill a defensive hole for a while in CBJ and help add some value to Garland for Roslovic.

• Like 1

No to trading our 1st this year.

We have a chance to draft a really high end prospect in a deep draft. Guys like Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Wood, and Moore could all be available with our pick. 

Id be more open to trade next years 1st though.

It is an interesting trade and one I think CBJ should be interested in (otherwise they need to start buying contending players right now too and go for it, cause they are in this weird place with talented players signed but they suck still overall). So likely close to fair value overall. 

It depends so much on how Peeke turns out though. If he's good and his poor play was a result of being on CBJ then amazing. However, if he just isn't top 4 Dman material then that is a bad trade for Van and we leave a deep draft without any high picks. Especially considering how some of these kids are entering the league nowadays, they might be NHL ready in a year or two only. 

I like the bones of this deal but would switch a few things.

I’d take Sean Kuraly over Roslovic.  He’s more of a pure 3C and is more of a Tocchet guy who is big, can skate and hit and is good on faceoffs. He also is cheaper than Roslovic and so we can gain $2.5 million in cap space by switching him with Garland and we also have him signed for one more year. Roslovic is a UFA next summer. 

I’d also switch the pick to the 2024 1st round, top 10 protected.  Columbus already has 2 1st round picks this year so they would probably go for that.

Columbus has Jiricek, Ceulemens, Boqvist and Gudbranson on the right side, so there really is no room for Peeke anymore. They really need to trade him and will probably have him on the market this summer. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d take Sean Kuraly over Roslovic.  He’s more of a pure 3C and is more of a Tocchet guy who is big, can skate and hit and is good on faceoffs. He also is cheaper than Roslovic and so we can gain $2.5 million in cap space by switching him with Garland and we also have him signed for one more year. Roslovic is a UFA next summer. 

I’d also switch the pick to the 2024 1st round, top 10 protected.  Columbus already has 2 1st round picks this year so they would probably go for that.

Columbus has Jiricek, Ceulemens, Boqvist and Gudbranson on the right side, so there really is no room for Peeke anymore. They really need to trade him and will probably have him on the market this summer. 

Switching the 1st to next year massively downgrades its value. Right now they’d be trading for a known commodity;11th oa). Switching it to next year and adding top 10 protection all but guarantees they’ll get a worse pick in what projects to be a worse draft. 

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing.  While Roslovic has had instances of playing up the lineup in Columbus -- perhaps due to a lack of talent -- at the end of the day he's not all that consistent and more of an offensive C than defensive, so we'd need to continue relying on Petey and Miller as the offensive C's in both special teams.  Kuraly could definitely afford them some shutdown help, and I'd prefer getting him too.  

Also since Peeke probably has more value than we anticipated as a D-man playing 21 minutes a night, I'd gladly take Jake Bean instead.  He played around 15 minutes a night, has a $2.33 million cap hit next year, has flexibility to play either LD/ RD, and is probably pretty far down in their depth chart (Werenski, Peeke, Boqvist, Gudbranson, plus Jiricek and whoever else they might have, e.g. Blankenburg who plays 19 minutes a night/ Bayreuther who also plays around 15 minutes, etc.).  If we can do Bean and Kuraly for Rathbone and Garland I think it could be pretty good for both sides (Gudbranson can be the 3rd pair shutdown guy to shelter Rathbone).

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Switching the 1st to next year massively downgrades its value. Right now they’d be trading for a known commodity;11th oa). Switching it to next year and adding top 10 protection all but guarantees they’ll get a worse pick in what projects to be a worse draft. 

Yes, I agree.  Better for us.  If they go for it then it’s a great deal for us really…

38 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

What’s the incentive for them to accept it though? 

I don’t think Peeke is in their long term plans. Jiricek will be on the top paring next year. They will probably trade Peeke in the summer. Do you think they will get a better deal than what is being offered?  Peeke had one of the worst analytics for defencemen in the NHL last year. I don’t think his trade value is that high.  I wouldn’t offer the 11th pick this year for him.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think it'd have to be 2023 first rounder for Roslovic, or yeah I agree - 2024 1st for Kuraly - he's a guy I've spotted as a nice 3C option, bit older though but a big body to have there, but much easier to trade for.

It really depends what CBJ want to do - if they pick Bedard, do they just go for the playoffs next year? They've still got a lot of good pieces on the roster but a lot of bad ones too. You don't see many bottom-3 teams as buyers though so a Canucks-like "retool" works well for them. I'd see it as two struggling teams making lateral trades with relatively young guys.

A while ago it seemed like Boqvist was the odd-man out and I did think we should target him a year ago (play him as a puck mover on the R side with OEL, and play Hughes with a shutdown guy) but he seems to be sticking around and doing well whereas now I wonder if Peeke is more the odd-man out. One of them has to go with Jiricek coming in soon.

• Upvote 1

I was going to make a post about Garland to Columbus.

I, however wouldn't want any roster players back as the rest of my post was going to involve Lawson Ceouse coming to Vancouver.

Keep in mind, my proposal comes strictly from my perspective if I were GM.

Garland and Lekkerimaki to Columbus for LA's 1st rounder.

I like Garland's gritty style but, he's too small and unwilling to back it up.

Lekkerimaki may become a prolific point producer but is too one dimensional and lacks size and physicality.

Columbus is still working on a core and could use Garland as an effective vet who brings offence and a gritty style to the team.

Lekkerimaki is a promising player for them to develop.

We have a solid, point producing forwards but need to add effective, complimentary players to the mix (enter Lawson Crouse), in order to take the next step.

Podkolzin has yet to become what we'd hoped he would., Klimovich is showing promise but is still a couple seasons away (imo), and Hoglander is finding success in "The A" but hasn't yet been able to bring it at the NHL level.

Imo, if we don't get the 1st OA in the lottery, our 1st rounder will be available with it's position determining the asking price.

Regardless, I would be seeking a deal involving Crouse or another with the same attributes.

posters seem to think Columbus is happy to give up a top 4RHD in a trade so easily this off season...sure if a team overpays they might but he is cost controlled. 

If Peeke is coming to Van then we should be sending them JT back. Keep the 1st round pick we already traded 1 1st rounder away this draft be foolish to trade another 1st...