The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ADF] Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Panthers win series 4-1

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/04/2023 at 11:00 PM

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I hope Canucks management is watching this series closely.

This is what happens when you build your team around offense... and say "We'll outscore them... Let defense take care of itself".

If Toronto was managed correctly, they would have traded Nylander a long time ago and replaced him with a decent top 4 D-man.

They are paying more for their top six forward group than Edmonton is... just makes no sense.  Why pick up O'Reilly at the trade deadline instead of a decent D-man?  Yeah O'Reilly is a defensive forward... but a D-Forward does not replace a high level dedicated D-man.  Once you get past Reilly, the rest of the D Corps is 2nd rate.  Yeah, we all love Schenn, but he is a 5/6... the pairing he played when he was on Tampa's Cup team.

The other thing is this Leafs team is a complacent entitled team... Mathews/Marner/Nylander think they deserve to win.  Tavares is a gamer, but he is past his best days.  O'Reilly is also a fighter, but again, he is past his best.  I don't see the grit and fire from the Leafs top three.

The other factor is while Samsonov is playing decently... he is not an A level goalie.  But of course, when you are the Leafs and paying so much for your top six, you have no money for a goalie.

All I can say is that Dumb-A$$'s plan is rapidly going down the toilet and he is probably already looking for an exit strategy.

Great post and bang on

7 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This is what happens when you build your team around offense... and say "We'll outscore them... Let defense take care of itself".

If Toronto was managed correctly, they would have traded Nylander a long time ago and replaced him with a decent top 4 D-man.

They are paying more for their top six forward group than Edmonton is... just makes no sense.  Why pick up O'Reilly at the trade deadline instead of a decent D-man?  Yeah O'Reilly is a defensive forward... but a D-Forward does not replace a high level dedicated D-man.  Once you get past Reilly, the rest of the D Corps is 2nd rate.  Yeah, we all love Schenn, but he is a 5/6... the pairing he played when he was on Tampa's Cup team.

The other thing is this Leafs team is a complacent entitled team... Mathews/Marner/Nylander think they deserve to win.  Tavares is a gamer, but he is past his best days.  O'Reilly is also a fighter, but again, he is past his best.  I don't see the grit and fire from the Leafs top three.

The other factor is while Samsonov is playing decently... he is not an A level goalie.  But of course, when you are the Leafs and paying so much for your top six, you have no money for a goalie.

All I can say is that Dumb-A$$'s plan is rapidly going down the toilet and he is probably already looking for an exit strategy.

We’ve yet to see how hronk is going to turn out. And yes we gave up the 1 rd pick from the horvat deal. But toronto gave up their 1st 2nd a 4th and another 4th to minny for an aging o’reily. So the Canucks gamble is in right direction hronk isn’t as old as o’reily and hronk also fills a positional need.  The leafs window is this year and next year. That’s it. 

• Cheers 1

I haven't been posting almost all season because for some reason I was having trouble posting on the message board. Anyway, I'm 1 of the 3 that voted Panthers in 4 because I had a feeling that the Leafs were not gonna take the Panthers seriously and they will choke because of that!

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, TheRick said:

I haven't been posting almost all season because for some reason I was having trouble posting on the message board. Anyway, I'm 1 of the 3 that voted Panthers in 4 because I had a feeling that the Leafs were not gonna take the Panthers seriously and they will choke because of that!

I think they split in fla. TO maybe takes game 5 and fla takes it in 6 at home. 

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This is intent to injure - no doubt about it.  Bennett is a dirty player.  He always goes for borderline hits, he has poked at injured players down on the ice.  He sucks.

But a Leaf player did the same thing to a Florida player earlier in the game without an injury.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

While normally I'd agree with you, I think this year they actually tried to address their defense. On top of Schenn, who you mentioned, they also brought in McCabe (who is a top 4 defensive-minded defenseman) and Gustafsson (who seemed to emerge as a top 4 this year) at the deadline. It may still not have been enough, but they at least finally tried to address their defense. 

• Cheers 1

I'm actually surprised Dangle was pretty composed.

I love that he goes on and says, all that getting past the first round is for nothing......

Forwards like Nylander who shy away from contact, and won't backcheck, that's going to lead to playoff losses, it will catch up to you.

Marner, 7 hits, Nylander 2, Giordano, 7 hits, Bunting 7 hits.

Accari has 59. Schenn 44.  Matthews has more hits than Tavares for crying out loud.

Toronto and Edmonton, I've said for ages are not balanced teams. They are arguably better than before. But they are still top heavy. And a lot of the players won't go

into the dirty areas and do what is needed.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I remember how much going up 2 games helped in 2011

Holy Bitter Betty!! Thought you left this thread for the duration- guess you cain’t quit yer leafs!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, FaninMex said:

But a Leaf player did the same thing to a Florida player earlier in the game without an injury.

Here is more from Bennett.

This cross-check to the back of the neck is very similar to the one Brandon Dubinsky got suspended for in 2015 on Crosby:  

Let's also not forget this suspension from... 

Auston Matthews suspended for cross-checking Sabres' Rasmus Dahlin -  Buffalo Hockey Beat

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Toronto has always been a mess cap-wise, ever since they signed JT. They are so top heavy its ridiculous. I know you've got to pay your stars but 40M on 4 forwards is outrageous, and not a recipe for success in the playoffs. You clearly need depth in the playoffs because a good checking center or top defenceman can easily nullify a top forward, and that's what's happening out there right now. Toronto made some nice moves, got a depth true shutdown center in O'Reilly on the cheap, but that defence is garbage. Two guys over 5M, the rest under 2M sums up their priorities. 

To be honest though the main thing is the structure and how they're playing. Toronto play a run-and-gun, loose style to fit their high scoring forwards. Their 4th line had like one or two good shifts, that was it - apart from that it was all trying to wheel and deal through the neutral zone. No forecheck, no smart stick lifts in the offensive zone, no grinding down low, just a lot of attempts to skate rings around Florida and shoot or pass it through players. Meanwhile, Florida are playing dirty, ugly playoff hockey and it's working. The goal where Marner tried to bump it back to Matthews in his own defensive zone and Matthews loses it, turns it over, then Tkachuk do a little give and go through Matthews and somehow passes it right across the rink to Forsling for the goal sums it up perfectly. Your "Selke candidate" just made the dumbest play in the book in his own defensive zone which costs them the game, and their star Matthews is also to blame for losing the puck and then getting passed right through. Top forwards need to be the best defensively. Look at Barkov out there - nothing flashy at all, generates almost zero offence in the last game but doesn't get victimized on a stupid play like that.

Listening to Tocchet's interview on the podcast recently I think this is how he wants the Canucks to play - really hard on the forecheck, and it sounds like they'll try and get guys to fit that mould or generate them internally. It starts with fitness - we need to be so much fitter to play this high octane checking game than we are right now. When you see Florida jump on loose pucks and win puck battles, pinch at the right time etc., they are flying. Watching the Tampa series, they did the same - they're masters of the grinding forecheck and have the big bodies to fit that style of play.

I'd like to think we have the players for this style of play but I don't know...On our top line we have Mikheyev and Petey who can forecheck pretty well. On the second line, Miller is great at it, PDG is pretty good, Boeser is a pretty sluggish forechecker. Our 3rd line is just dreadful though and needs a full re-make. Garland has got some jump and can cause some havoc but is he big, strong or good enough? Beauvillier is really a meh type forward and we don't have a 3C who can do what needs to be done in the playoffs. I think Aman and Joshua can play a solid forechecking game, we've seen it many times before. There's room for a Hoglander-type player to make an impact on our 3rd line for sure. On D though, I worry if we came across a team like Florida or Tampa, we wouldn't be fast or tough enough to evade a forecheck like this and you just know we'd get hemmed into our own zone for ages.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

They already accomplished what they set out to do ... win a series lol.    That said it's not like they didn't play well enough to win, Bobrovsky is playing like the all world goalie they thought they'd be getting.    Panthers are a spunky team, with a well rounded roster.     TO ... i don't know if they have it in them to win four in a row...or four of five games left.    I do agree with your assessment...Dubas found a way to bring O'Reilly in, which so far worked better than Kane and Tarasenko in NYR.    Was key to winning two games last series ... and Schenn was according to Keefe - the glue behind the belief they'd finally win a series...19 years lol.   I bet some on this site were awfully young back then - grade school, others in high school.   That's funny.     Once the Canadian team are out, Panthers is a nice team to cheer for. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Be careful what you wish for...

What I'm seeing is footage of the salary cap rising.  Laffs need to keep this thing rolling long enough for the league to pay off their debt! :lol: