The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Could you imagine if we landed this guy?

Could contain: Helmet, Person, Clothing, Footwear, Shoe, Hockey, Ice Hockey, Rink, Skating, Sport

This is the one small winger I would happily accept if drafted.  Don't think he gets to us though it is likely a bad idea to overestimate the patience of a GM picking at the top of the draft.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

As the draft approaches, I am more inclined to keep the pick now - there are bunch of prospects around the 8-14th mark who can really help out our team in the next 3-4 years and just "giving" the player away to the Hawks or Red Wings so that we can shed some salary is starting not to look so great - guess there is a reason the Hawks and Red Wings not targeting teams around 20-25th mark and after our 11th pick.  Also, its not as if the Hawks need another potential impact player in the same draft having already gotten lucky on the draw.

Unless the Canucks are feeling a bit charitable now in speeding up their competitors rebuilds - probably best to keep the pick and  draft a vast array of potential players including ASP, Reinbacher, Danielson etc and even look at of some local kids.  To help out with salary issue, hope they start looking at working with 2nd - 3rd rounders and not first rounders, especially for such a high selection.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
c
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Worried they are going to pick Axel Sandin-Pellikka...don't think this moves the Canucks closer to a Cup.

Ideally it's Reinbacher (although he appears to be a pre #11 pick now) or Danielson IMHO

Draft is 3 weeks away, man! Gonna come up pretty quick. 

I dunno who's best among all the suggestions brought up in this thread. At #11 it would seem to make sense to pick the BPA regardless of position. I'm guessing we won't get a player that'll help us anytime soon anyways, so,"don't think this moves the Canucks closer to a Cup....." That pretty much sums it up. 

If that Russian kid,  Michkov is miraculously still around when we pick, it's a no brainer. With what I've read on this kid and saw on clips, any team would want a player of his talent level on their team.  It's not the first time we had to wait for a Russian to come over. Hmmmmm....seems like most of the Russians we pick required a wait....interesting!!!!!?!?!?!!!

What is he, like 17-18yrs.old? By the time he gets to N.A. he'll be in his early 20's. Sure he's somewhat undersize, but it sounds like his talents far outweigh that aspect of him. He'll miss some development on N.A. ice for sure, but he seems like the game breaker type goal scorer that we can use.

A RH d-man and RH centre are obviously needed to be sure. One way or another, if we pick based on positional need, we're gonna have to wait a season or two till  he's ready for the big club anyways.

It's my guess after the draft and whatever they do this or next season to alleviate cap space, they're gonna address the 3rd line centre need via trade, and or an RFA/UFA acquisition.

As far as D pairings to compliment Huggy, Hronek and OEL? They're gonna keep it in house for now. Why not. There's some candidates, Wolanin, Juulsen, Bris, in the system they used last season that did the job. And call ups Boner, Woo.  Can't forget those already on the roster Burroughs, Hirose, McWard and of course, Bear. So we have many options in house to help out for now.

I think Michkov will drop. There are just so many players who have near term potential to play in the NHL. Michkov can’t join an NHL team until the 2026/2027 season. And then they can start developing him for the NHL game. The bottom feeders can’t afford to wait that long. Unfortunately, there are, however, 2 teams that I think would snag him before us. Arizona and Washington. Arizona is in perpetual rebuild mode and Washington is at the start of their rebuild and the Ovie generational talent comparisons are too great. 

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

I think Michkov will drop. There are just so many players who have near term potential to play in the NHL. Michkov can’t join an NHL team until the 2026/2027 season. And then they can start developing him for the NHL game. The bottom feeders can’t afford to wait that long. Unfortunately, there are, however, 2 teams that I think would snag him before us. Arizona and Washington. Arizona is in perpetual rebuild mode and Washington is at the start of their rebuild and the Ovie generational talent comparisons are too great. 

He very well could. His credentials are too great to resist from taking him regardless of his country's woes.

Arizona...OMFG!!!!!!! IMHO, let the horse die already. What a clusterf*ck of an organization. Move 'em and rid the NHL of this embarrassment. Sorry....off topic.......

Arizona, arena/location issues aside could definitely use a 1st rounder of this ilk. And in the future, perhaps they'll be a place for hime to play with 'em.

Capitals love their Russian players. The rebuild mode is upon them and this would be a good move for 'em to be sure. I'm sure OV will be with the organization in some form or another after he retires. Or maybe he'll still be a player and will be there on the ice to be a vet presence for the young lad!

There’s a few very intriguing prospects that I would love to see fall to 11 like Oliver Moore, Ryan Leonard and David Reinbacher but I don’t think they will be available to us. Out of the guys who are more realistically available to us I don’t see many C’s I would take, I like Danielson but not at 11 because I think he has the floor of a 4th line C I don’t think he has the upside I want at 11 so the only C with that upside would be Yager who doesn’t top my list but I wouldn’t be angry if we took him. Wingers I’d be happy with are Perrault, Wood and Barlow but Axel Sandin Pellikka tops my list, he isn’t big bodied but he skates incredibly well and moves the puck exceptionally, there are other ways to find size so to have him or Hughes on the ice for most of a game can only benefit the team. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarke said:

Will be interesting - definitely high risk high reward pick...Huge offensive upside but signed with KHL and does not appear to be willing to play defense (which could change as he matures)

On 6/7/2023 at 7:45 PM, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Will be interesting - definitely high risk high reward pick...Huge offensive upside but signed with KHL and does not appear to be willing to play defense (which could change as he matures)

He sounds like what OV was like when he first came into the league. OV’s defensive side picked up later in his career 

13 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Michkov will definitely drop.  Maybe even to us.

Need to hang on to the 11 until draft day even if we’re contemplating a trade down.

Michkov or any of the two highly talked about defenders. Who knows maybe someone else drops from the top 10 consensus as well. We need this pick

• Cheers 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

Michkov or any of the two highly talked about defenders. Who knows maybe someone else drops from the top 10 consensus as well. We need this pick

Yep.  Teams go crazy for centres and big guys on draft day.  

(To be fair I’d love a bigger C like Danielson or Dvorsky too) but it could lead to some very interesting players still on the board at 11.  

• Cheers 1

Bedard and fantilli are obvious 1,2. The bad news for us is that from 3oa to 10oa those teams could all use a top RT side dman. The good news is they all could use a top winger or Center leaving us rienbacher ::D

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

He sounds like what OV was like when he first came into the league. OV’s defensive side picked up later in his career 

On big consideration IMHO is that OV is 6'3" and a beast. MM is 5'10". A player can get away with a lot on defense when they are as big and powerful as OV...not sure MM will be able to make that same level impact unless his work rate significantly improves.